Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you consider yourself healthy?

• 15-03-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Looking at what you eat and drink, and how much exercise you get, would you consider yourself healthy?

I eat at least 4 portions of fruit/veg a day, rarely eat chips/fried foods, and generally speaking, drink about 8 pints a week, plus the odd whiskey during the week.

While I don't go to the gym, or engage in any physical exercise, I do walk about 40 mins a day to/from the train/office.

I think I am healthy, do you think you are healthy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

umm, I'd go with no.

for all teh gym that I've started doing and the walking part of the way to work, I'm not 'healthy'.

dont eat much fruit, barely drink water during the day [trying hard to change that!]

still breathing tho!

• Moderators Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Diet wise, I'm probably about average. Generally have 3-4 portions of fruit/veg. Only drink water most days, stopped drinking alcohol last September.

Member of a gym, but the last month or so haven't really had time to go with studying after work.

So I'd say I just about make it into the yes side.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yup, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier if every snack you can think of wasn't something sugary... Why does Ireland have no healthy snacks available in shops? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Im only after giving up the cigarettes, off them 2months now and hopefully stay off them. I've been trying to eat more fruit to replace all the vitamins i lost. Went out and bought a smoothie machine and do my best to have one smoothie a day with about 3-5 different fruits in it. I have gym membership and would like to go more often. I go maybe once a month. I drink maybe 4 pints a day but I think thats a phase im going through as im replacing the fags with drink. It's hard though because ill my friends smoke including the girlfriend.

Back to topic, have to get myself into the routine of going to the gym more often. To answer the over all question....No im not healthy but I am healthier than I was 2months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I go through phases of being super healthy, healthy and then unhealthy :) Right now I'm in the middle, I exercise regularly, eat well, lots of fruit and veg, fewer saturated fats etc.

However, I'm still drinking about 4 pints a week (mostly at the weekend) and I do have a tendency to get take-aways (or eat pizza) once a week. Recently I've been back to eating a small chocolate bar after my dinner every night. Not so good.

My report is: 'Could do better' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

it's a hard one; I spend 3 days a week in Martial arts two 1 1/2 to 2 hour classes and one 3 hour + class on saturdays & on the inbetween days I tend to lift weights and do pushups, sit ups etc -

Eat all bran every day cept the weekend and on the weekend it's porridge and maybe duck eggs if I have them, eat healthy lunches and cook dinner nearly every day - maybe one takeout a week..

On the health downside - im always a bit overweight - I have a BIG appetite and I have a major sweet tooth. Used to drink mad amounts of booze at the weekends but recently I've been good and generally no more than 4 pints at the weekend & never drink during the week.. but the worst health thing of all; I love smoking reefer - have some EVERY night and loads at the weekends once training is done with.

In summation; not too bad but I could be doing a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Why does Ireland have no healthy snacks available in shops? :(

That's an interesting point. I actually found some, in Lidl of all places. They do a large bag of monkey nuts, which are roasted, even though they are still in their shell.

Of course, I wash them down with a generous helping of Jim Beam, probably negating the health aspect, but as a snack, you won't get more healthy.
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    I do have a tendency to get take-aways (or eat pizza) once a week.

I think that's all right, though. Friday night in our house is Pizza and Beer night. When I mentioned this to a doctor a while back, while doing a medical for a job, she said that was most certainly all right, and in fact to be encouraged. You do need one night a week where you let go.

It's your diet/exercise over an extended period that really mattes, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im a 3 day a week gym man, one night of 5 a side soccer and 5 pieces of fruit a day. I also do one session in spinning class (which is the killer)

Booze wise it's one session on a Saturday plus maybe 3-4 on Sunday night and the odd fag.

Got my bloods checked out last week and am perfectly healthy, blood pressure is perfect and heart rate is about 55-60 per minute.

So on answer to your question yes I am pretty healthy, gotta knock the social smoking on the head though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭ Serenity Famous Tango

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That's an interesting point. I actually found some, in Lidl of all places. They do a large bag of monkey nuts, which are roasted, even though they are still in their shell.

Of course, I wash them down with a generous helping of Jim Beam, probably negating the health aspect, but as a snack, you won't get more healthy.

Just as a side note on this point, you need to watch out for nuts of all kinds if trying to maintain or lose weight. While they are a far better alternative to eating chocolate/crisps etc they are extremely high in natural oils and therefore extremely high in the old calorie department.

I'd prefer a glass of Jameson myself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just as a side note on this point, you need to watch out for nuts of all kinds if trying to maintain or lose weight.

Trust me, I am not trying to lose weight. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

God no. Frankly I'm surprised I'm still vertical TBH. Long time smoker, have a few ales at the weekend, no exercise, beyond the odd bit of walking. The diets good though. Reckon that's the only thing keeping me going:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Yep, healthy.

Doing some form of exercise, either gym or football (soon to be running too) 4-5 times a week.

I'm nearly finished an evening course too so when that's done I'll hope to do something everyday.

Sunday to Friday is good, foodwise. I eat five times a day, get fruit and veg (should probably eat more green veg though), unsaturated fats and plenty of protein.

Saturday I normally just eat whatever I want.
    Only bad thing is not sleeping enough but I'm working on that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Recently I've been a lot healthier, breakfast is very healthy as is lunch it's when i get home and start eating chocolate and crisps thats the problem!

In the gym 3/4 times a week, play 11 a side and 6 a side astro match and walk the dog for about an hour each day.

alcohol and take aways vary quite a bit, could spend a weekend on the beer eating junk and then not go near it for 3/4 weeks.

I'd give myself a : good but plenty of room for improvement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I would say pretty healthy , i play airsoft maeks your run alot, I rock climb one day a week soem times more if im at my perent house. Starting to windsurf again to
    I drink very little smoke tho but some days i only smoke 3 cigarate's...
    food wise I would sya i have a ballanced diet fish roughage, meets yogurts etc...

Advertisement