Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options
1322323324325326328»

Comments

Nope. Never said any of that. . I never said anything about vaccinated person being immune or not.

Just pointed out that even if a person is vaccinated, they will still be required to quarantine until enough people in the destination are vaccinated. Because, as far as the destination is concerned, they could still be carrying it and won't want the traveller waltzing in and going around wherever.

Are you serious? This is exactly what you said:
    A person being vaccinated only means that if they get infected with the virus, their symptoms will be less. There are some claims that vaccines reduced transmission to a third, but it does not eliminate it.

Your being vaccinated simply means that if you come, then you are unlikely to end up in one of the ICU beds here. .

Your words. So do you take that back? Was it just a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Short answer, whats keeping you here if you have other options. Italy and Spain will both be close to normal this Summer, hospitality already opening in on limited basis in Italy.
    Ireland will still be heavily restricted in 5 months. Do yourself and your family some good. GO.

I wasnt really asking if it's a good idea or not to go. I was asking if there are guidelines on what proof to carry wrt the nature of your trip.
    the risk is that you meet a guard who has just dealt with 20 ppl falsely claiming they have a an "essential" reason to travel to Alicante and all of a sudden your doctor note in italian or you 9 month lease contract in spanish is not going to cut it so you get a €2k x 4 fine that you have 28 days to protest in an irish court (while you're in lockdown abroad)
    i see nobody of the "sure this decision makes so much sense" crew are replying... i'm honestly just looking for guidelines. if a rule/law with financial implications is applied, there should be clear guidelines for ppl with legit reasons.

again i point to the FAQ page on the dutch govt website which has a number of pages dedicated to explaining what you need to bring with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I wasnt really asking if it's a good idea or not to go. I was asking if there are guidelines on what proof to carry wrt the nature of your trip.
    the risk is that you meet a guard who has just dealt with 20 ppl falsely claiming they have a an "essential" reason to travel to Alicante and all of a sudden your doctor note in italian or you 9 month lease contract in spanish is not going to cut it so you get a €2k x 4 fine that you have 28 days to protest in an irish court (while you're in lockdown abroad)
    i see nobody of the "sure this decision makes so much sense" crew are replying... i'm honestly just looking for guidelines. if a rule/law with financial implications is applied, there should be clear guidelines for ppl with legit reasons.

again i point to the FAQ page on the dutch govt website which has a number of pages dedicated to explaining what you need to bring with you

If your passport is not Irish I wouldn't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    A bit of common sense at last:
    Senator Regina Doherty expressed concerns about “demonising” travellers and said that more focus should be put on antigen testing for people travelling abroad as opposed to fines of up to €2,000.

Not to mention people who want to return from Dubai for example that are vaccinated plus have a negative PCR test so shouldn't be subject to mandatory quarantine upon arrival to Dublin...

I know that won't sit well with those of you salivating at the thoughts of people being transported to mandatory confinement, but an intelligent workable solution needs to be implemented, not blanket rules..

Regina? Who's she again? Didn't she lose her seat? I see she is going to run in the north Dublin airport constituency. Good way to kick off the campaign.

If you are the holders of an Italian and Spanish passport, telling the.guard that ye are heading home for the foreseeable , should be enough.
    And if your employers are happy, surely they can give you a letter also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are you serious? This is exactly what you said:

Your words. So do you take that back?

You should read it. It's not that long.

If you are vaccinated with something, or have had the virus before before, well if it enters your system again, it just means that your body now knows how to fight it and deal with it. Your symptoms will be less (less includes zero of course). If you get vaccinated for corona, your body will learn how to fight it. Then if more corona enters your body in the future, your immune system will take care of it (hopefully quickly and without you even noticing).

Being vaccinated doesn't put up an invisible forcefield around you. The virus can, and still will, enter your body if you come in contact with it.

You've done this a few times on this thread. Read something into one of my posts that I didn't post and tried to aggressively go off on a tangent about it. It's very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Wouldn't be so sure. Nearly 300 cases of South African Variant in Austria. AZ vaccine has been shown to be only 10% effective against it. Austria is EU. Can't even leave the province now without a test.

Mad how this time last year it was skiers bringing it back from there.

https://twitter.com/France24_en/status/1359492313211404293?s=20

You conveniently forgot to add along with your 10% it has so far protected from 100% serious illness and death. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Just stop whinging, man up and do your bit. That's all you have to do. It isn't that difficult. The sooner it is over the better and we can all travel wherever then. If a few snowflakes can't cope now, they'll only succeed in prolonging it for everyone.

Ha ha, first time I've been accused of being a snowflake, thanks for that. When the argument fails - "just do your bit".

I'm not one of the ones here tutting, accusing people of killing their granny and wishing serious illness upon returning passengers. Who's doing the whinging again?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

If your passport is not Irish I wouldn't worry.

I guess I’ll the guard this thread on my mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

bubblypop wrote: »
    If you are the holders of an Italian and Spanish passport, telling the.guard that ye are heading home for the foreseeable , should be enough.
    And if your employers are happy, surely they can give you a letter also?

Same as an Irish citizen moving country. Should be no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

If you or your partner have a passport from the destination country, that would show a clear connection. A translation of the rental contract, plus any other documentation of a connection (first rental payment?) might help. Your embassy might be able to give you a more comprehensive list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Regina? Who's she again? Didn't she lose her seat? I see she is going to run in the north Dublin airport constituency. Good way to kick off the campaign.

I'm sure Regina is sat at home now reading Boards.ie saying the same thing "caveat emptor".... Who!?

I guess I’ll the guard this thread on my mobile

Bubblypop unless I'm mistaken is a member of An Garda. They have given you good advice.
    Me I would just go if I had the option.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You conveniently forgot to add along with your 10% it has so far protected from 100% serious illness and death. :rolleyes:

I didn't conveniently forget anything. :mad: There is no clinical evidence of this yet. This is the South Africa study.

You are conveniently talking ****.

542936.png

;)
    I didn't conveniently forget anything. :mad: There is no clinical evidence of this yet. This is the South Africa study.

Likewise about your 10% so i guess we’re both talking ****;)

Dr. Em wrote: »
    I'm sorry about your grandfather. I would be acting responsibly during this pandemic if it never effected my own family because because I understand collective responsibility. Yes, I did just edit out stronger language.

Ok well in that case why did you feel the need to point out your granny wasn't hit by a Ferrari?

We are back at that again now.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'm sure Regina is sat at home now reading Boards.ie saying the same thing "caveat emptor".... Who!?

Haha lol. I better be careful though.
    In July 2017, Doherty confirmed[8] that she had lodged a complaint with the Garda Síochána against political blogger and academic Catherine Kelly. Kelly said that she was cautioned by Gardaí about her social media posts and online articles,[9] which referenced Regina Doherty.[10] In the Dáil, it was stated that a U.S.-based academic experienced a "sinister and chilling experience" in an Irish airport where she was detained by gardaí and told not to tweet about Ms Doherty or publish any material relevant to her again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regina_Doherty#Move_to_Dublin_Fingal

542936.png

Where does it say 10% efficacy? A bit immature with the naming of your pngs btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

You will be grand. Does not sound like you plan to be in an airport for some time to come.

542936.png

Who cares about mild or moderate illness.

What does the study say about severe disease and mortality - the statistics that have a material difference.

• Advertisement

Who cares about mild or moderate illness.

What does the study say about severe disease and mortality - the statistics that have a material difference.

Ah stop will ya, you’re bursting the doom and gloom misery bubble.

You were so positive in December Micky what happened?

That poster disappeared off the main thread today because they got called out by more knowledgeable posters.

You were so positive in December Micky what happened?

I’m actually quite positive at the moment. We’re all human and we can falter at times. But thanks for the concern for my mental health.

That poster disappeared off the main thread today because they got called out by more knowledgeable posters.

I had to pop into one of my wives. :pac: **** chat plumb. What are you talking about really?

I know you are very good at being in two places at the same time but I'm not.

I’m actually quite positive at the moment. We’re all human and we can falter at times. But thanks for the concern for my mental health.

There's a lot to be positive the other vaccines all seem to work quite well albeit not as effectively against this variant.

Only problem was the AZ one would have helped the rest of the world particularly developing world. It's a set back but hopefully they can keep ahead of it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've just opened up a new Travel megathread

I'll leave this open for an hour or two as to allow some continuity of discussion. If you are raising a new point please do so in the new thread

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

Stupid response? My grandmother is in the hospital right now because of Covid. Travel restrictions on non-essential holidays could save lives and all they require from the public is a bit of patience. How difficult is that to understand?

I wish you the best with your grandmother however, the lockdown and restrictions are also responsible for suicides and people not getting checked for cancer......plus the financial cost is still not being felt....Unemployment and suicides go up together.

Remember, the experts said not to wear masks and not to wear gloves last year.....then changed their minds and are now saying two masks would be a good thing..why not 3?

We were also told 85,000 could die from Covid but the death statistics from the General Register Office show less people died in 2020 than 2019 or 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Stupid response? My grandmother is in the hospital right now because of Covid. Travel restrictions on non-essential holidays could save lives and all they require from the public is a bit of patience. How difficult is that to understand?

Where did she get it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement