Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Some Construction should be stopped. There are people going House to house and site to site that are allowed due to ‘essential’.

It’s madness

We have a building contractor next to us engaged on a government funded project. Lads travelling from the North but we can't more than 5Km . Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Any talk about the universities closing? Face to face classes planned for January where I’m working and no talk of them being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The constant downplaying of public health advice and demonising of public health officials on here and elsewhere surely didn't help?

That was the angle the lobby groups went for and it worked.

Are you sure it wasn't the Public health officials, politicians and mainstream media that weren't encouraging the 'demonising' of the public on a regular basis? 'Outrage videos' over young people drinking outdoors over the summer/Autumn seemed to be a near weekly occurrence. Many videos often posted by elected officials to City council in my area. Pat Kenny had a new group to demonise instead of cyclists - young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That was something that struck me a few weeks back when the NI assembly were meeting to decide on whether to ban flights from the UK - nobody had any idea what would come out of it as there were no leaks.

Here the whole lot of them must spend their time texting journalists during the cabinet meetings

Or climbing over themselves to get out first so that they can declare a decision that has not been formally announced yet. It really is still all about parish pump politics and keeping your local electorate sweet.

God help us if we were ever dealing with a real emergency with sensitive issues to manage..... oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

fits wrote: »
    I was angry as well. More so last week probably. But the current numbers are worse than any worst case scenario projections. No one saw this coming. Also very few countries have successfully kept the virus back. Let’s hope lockdown 3 works.

The only silver lining is that the casedemic/pcr test/anti lockdown crowd are gone very quiet.

I did but I'm not important and have no power.
    My exact words to my Wife were " The case numbers will skyrocket in January and the schools will not reopen as planned"
    Not trying to say I'm clever its just the way some in our community have behaved since the Pandemic began did anyone really think it would be any different than what we are seeing now?
    Lets face it....a huge majority did exactly as they pleased between about the 23rd of December to 1st January...it was almost like the virus didn't exist because it was Christmas. Maybe Turkey and Ham is an antidote?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ger Roe wrote: »
    [/B]

Or climbing over themselves to get out first so that they can declare a decision that has not been formally announced yet. It really is still all about parish pump politics and keeping your local electorate sweet.

God help us if we were ever dealing with a real emergency with sensitive issues to manage..... oh wait...

If its an unpopular decision, they get someone lower down to make it. Like the FF spokesperson for arts, culture and heritage saying schools to stay closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Ger Roe wrote: »
    [/B]

It also calls in to question what actually happens at the cabinet meeting if the decisions can almost always be announced beforehand - is there no real discussion at cabinet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Happy4all wrote: »
    We have a building contractor next to us engaged on a government funded project. Lads travelling from the North but we can't more than 5Km . Makes no sense.

You’re confusing the 5km excerise limit with essential travel for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You can go further than 5km to work. Become a brickie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm sure a few will know the area, but there's apartments going up for years at Royal Canal Park and Scribblestown. Pretty much all the construction crew are now parking on the Tolka Valley Road, and the number of northern registered cars and vans more than match the republic's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Too many people have forgotten/never even realized just how catastrophic these lockdowns are. The seeming magic tree of PUP and other social payments has, while good for those involved, masked just how bleak of a situation we find ourselves in.

When there is a problem you need to apply a solution that will actually work for the society involved. Absolutely nothing short of military intervention and streets and homes shut down by armed guards - leading to a near total elimination of the virus in 3 weeks - ever had the slightest chance of working here. Never mind what the Brits are doing or what the US is doing. That approach was not taken, it was not even slightly considered, and this, the happenings right now were always the only possible outcome.

Since we "can't" do proper 3 week total shutdowns, borders included, of the entire country - these are the consequences. Total chaos, misery and years-long ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So...100,000 people need to be put on PUP to make your commute to work easier? What I've gathered from your post is more enforcement is needed on the LUAS re mask wearing and distancing.
    Unfortunately the crying wolf of NPHET, mainstream media and Zero Covid from professor group from June to Oct over 0-4 daily cases - stating their 'concern' and that the next 10 days were crucial...locking down counties in the summer with empty hospitals over 85 out of 88 asymptomatic cases in a meat plant, led to a certain section of society being led down the Conspiracy Theory route.
    People should be able to think critically and see above the misinformation being spouted by the 'plandemic' group but when a scapegoat is needed, anything or anyone will do.

I was more commenting on the attitudes and habits of a lot of these people weather its on public transport or in work or whatever.

No one else should have to be affected by it and of course it has a knock on effect just like the other examples that get mentioned seeing as people going out or meeting family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Drumpot wrote: »
    So there’s insufficient evidence with regards to solely preventing or treating it. Nobody is saying it’s a panacea but in that same report :

So there is a correlation with vit D deficiency and an increased change of getting a bad dose. What’s the problem with recommending it to the public? It’s not bulletproof in the same way masks can potentially help reduce the viral load passing among people which in turn can reduce the severity of a case.

I don’t get it at all. The best I’ve seen in terms of VIT D against promoting it is that there’s no definitive evidence as to how much it might help. After nearly a year why are we still debating it?

I dont get it either and I never did.

I dont know whether that still holds true months later but I clearly remember that without exception all deaths in wave 1 had a severe vitamin D deficiency. Simple me is thinking 'well just make sure you dont have a severe vitamin d deficiency then'.

But its an absolute non topic and it has never been explained to me why that is. All sorts of downplaying and ignoring. Its almost like it couldnt be allowed to be a biggie cos wouldnt that make everyone look ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Kids shouldn't be back in school until teachers are vaccinated

I'll let you suggest that to government

let's shut down supermarkets until all supermarket staff are vaccinated

and all the delivery drivers too

and while we're at it - let's keep patients out of hospitals until all medical staff are vaccinated

and definitely shut down all GP surgeries and clinics until all GPs and their staff are vaccinated

etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Are you sure it wasn't the Public health officials, politicians and mainstream media that weren't encouraging the 'demonising' of the public on a regular basis? 'Outrage videos' over young people drinking outdoors over the summer/Autumn seemed to be a near weekly occurrence. Many videos often posted by elected officials to City council in my area. Pat Kenny had a new group to demonise instead of cyclists - young people.

Yeah young people have it tough and should not be demonised. They should however take personal responsibility and ownership for their decisions.

If the government can’t do that what hope do the public have.

As to the other points I’d take them up with your local politicians and or Pat Kenny.

It won’t change that kids can’t go to school now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The_Brood wrote: »
    Too many people have forgotten/never even realized just how catastrophic these lockdowns are. The seeming magic tree of PUP and other social payments has, while good for those involved, masked just how bleak of a situation we find ourselves in.

When there is a problem you need to apply a solution that will actually work for the society involved. Absolutely nothing short of military intervention and streets and homes shut down by armed guards - leading to a near total elimination of the virus in 3 weeks - ever had the slightest chance of working here. Never mind what the Brits are doing or what the US is doing. That approach was not taken, it was not even slightly considered, and this, the happenings right now were always the only possible outcome.

Since we "can't" do proper 3 week total shutdowns, borders included, of the entire country - these are the consequences. Total chaos, misery and years-long ruin.

We share an open border with another country . After 3 weeks it is just going to come back again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

An Excellent Q&A out from two extremely reliable sources of information. I have found both excellent over the last 11 months. They are often well ahead of the curve in information and quite often you see stuff they have spoken about only show up in mainstream media weeks or months after. I find it so much more balanced and less hysterical then the mainstream media that appears to really confuse and scare people.

In terms of their bias, their priority is to educate, it is not comparable to the bias of mainstream media or politicians or even our authorities who all have an angle with the information they are promoting. These are people well educated in the medical profession who are trying to educate people and help weed out alot of the misinformation and misguided opinions people maintain on the pandemic.

Just some backround on the speakers:

Roger Seheult, MD is the co-founder and lead professor at https://www.medcram.com
    He is an Associate Professor at the University of California, Riverside School of Medicine and Assistant Prof. at Loma Linda University School of Medicine
    Dr. Seheult is Quadruple Board Certified: Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine

John Campbell, RN, BSc, MSc, PGC.Pharm, PhD is a health educator and analyst that has spent over three decades teaching students in the United Kingdom, Asia, Africa, and online with an extensive video library. Dr. Campbell also has also published textbooks on Physiology and Pathophysiology.

Questions discussed in this interview:

0:00 Introductions
    1:44 Lessons we can learn as a society so far from this pandemic?
    5:13 How do you decide what COVID 19 information sources are credible?
    11:04 Role of pre-print research (non published or peer-reviewed) during a pandemic?
    18:07 How can trust be maintained (or restored) in federal organizations like the CDC, FDA in the USA, and NICE in the UK?
    22:33 Any new promising treatments besides steroids and remdesivir, and are doctors giving vitamin D to inpatients?
    28:00 Thoughts on Ivermectin?
    34:40 How will SARS-CoV-2 mutations impact the vaccine, testing, and treatments?
    40:26 Thoughts on COVID vaccines authorized so far: safety and efficacy
    47:46 Why not just rely on your immune system to fight off COVID-19 instead of a vaccine?
    50:37 Thoughts on “long haulers” or Post-COVID syndrome? Have we seen this with other viruses?
    57:37 “Background” side effects vs vaccine or intervention side effects
    1:00:48 “Predictions” regarding COVID-19 in 2021
    1:08:51 If the fatality rate of COVID-19 was higher, would overall infections be lower?
    1:13:44 Your personal routine for a healthy lifestyle and staying safe from coronavirus?
    1:20:12 What dose of vitamin D do you take and do you take it all year?
    1:25:05 Some consequences of time spent indoors (ventilation, vitamin D)
    1:26:07 Vitamin D and skin color and archeology findings
    1:28:03 Should other supplements be taken with vitamin D?
    1:31:25 Lessons to learn from COVID-19 testing and where should it go?

My Notes:

- countries too reactive, not proactive
    - Huge issue with misinformation and people poorly educated on the situation. People not following science. This is part of the reason for these YouTube informative channels, to educate
    - Poor communication equally led to poor compliance and people not realising how bad/serious it actually is
    - Problem with narrative journalism (a lot of people get their information form here). Science papers are where you learn to appraise a topic.
    - Make sure there is reference to the source information being discussed. Dr John and Medcram always provide the source of the information they discuss. “Don’t believe people” - these sources are filtering expert opinion
    - When mistakes are made it’s important to make quick adjustments. A lot of people think when authorities change stance on something it’s bad, but it actually shows they are changing with the science which is good. (Eg Masks not needed to evidence that showed mask really help during the pandemic)
    - They aren’t overly concerned with recent mutation with regards to efficacy of vaccines
    - Not concerned about allergy reactions to vaccines - more dangerous eating peanuts ! 1/70 kids in uk have allergy to peanuts
    - Some people will still come down with COVID after vaccine because it’s 95% effective so 5% can still get infected (good info to debunk conspiracy’s against vaccine)
    - In terms of allergies and people getting infected after vaccine look at the numbers and put it into context. (A tendency for some to be hyperbolic and treat one story or event as representing a wider trend)
    - Media has a tendency to report on bad news innacurately. 1-100,000 get allergic reaction to vaccine but 1/3000 get reaction to penicillin but media isn’t reporting on that! Beware taking everything in media as fact!!!
    - A lot of people incorrectly see this as black or white “you either die or you don’t” but it’s not that simple. Long COVID is potentially bad. We may only understand Long term issues over coming years
    - Optimistic that maybe from March spread should level out. VIT D (more sun) will play a role along with more ventilation
    - Vaccines will play more of a role at end of year, not so much for first few months
    - Increased transmissibility making old lockdown measures less effective
    - Will there be another pandemic? Yes, just a matter of when. We got lucky with COVID that it has a relatively low mortality rate, hopefully lessons learned
    - If people accept that globally governments have been slow to act and been not quick at responding they should Ask themselves what can they do to improve their own immune systems
    - Techniques to improve immune system. What are the doctors doing to try to reduce change of bad dose ? Vit D , hydrotherapy etc
    - Fever is actually good
    - Vit d deficiency can reduce effectiveness of immune system ( as can smoking etc)
    - Importance of VIT D (for those who dismiss its relevance)
    - Lessons on testing - massive issues because insisting on top quality tests which ruled out other strategies (mass testing regularly). Short sighted but not a definitive alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

UK is going to implement stronger border controls. Effectively admitting they got it wrong.
    We'll probably need another wave to make sure. Locking down with no inward travel restriction is dumb.
    He get's called on the "enforcement" bull**** to boot. Not a piers fan by any stretch but he is right.

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1346381745218859009?s=20

Was Piers not in Antigua over the Christmas holidays?

rumour seems to be doing the rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

How can the courts still be open except for urgent matters? District courts running nearly as normal for non urgent cases, it's ridiculous. Judiciary seriously at fault and setting a bad example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

You’re confusing the 5km excerise limit with essential travel for work.

Sorry, to clarify. The contract is with a building contractor from Northern Ireland. My point is, given the bigger mess NI is, are they not a high risk category commuting cross border?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

About time. There's two communications experts on NPHET and 2 infectious disease experts. That says it all about where priorities lie.

A lot of the people on NPHET have no scientific or medical expertise, they work in HR, administration or communications. There should be a sub committee or group for these, with a core group of NPHET experts making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

We share an open border with another country . After 3 weeks it is just going to come back again

Unless we co-ordinate lockdowns and co-ordinate control of borders, both externally and internally, very much so.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

I dont get it either and I never did.

I dont know whether that still holds true months later but I clearly remember that without exception all deaths in wave 1 had a severe vitamin D deficiency. Simple me is thinking 'well just make sure you dont have a severe vitamin d deficiency then'.

But its an absolute non topic and it has never been explained to me why that is. All sorts of downplaying and ignoring. Its almost like it couldnt be allowed to be a biggie cos wouldnt that make everyone look ridiculous?

Totally agree, bizzare. Dr John campbell on youtube, who does a daily video and talks more sense than most, was talking about this at the beginning and I started taking it and got the rest of the family to do it as well. Why wouldnt you? Its cheap and easy, and if it doesnt do anything theres no down side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

MOR316 wrote: »
    But there literally has been people saying there'll be thousands of cases a day.

That's not a generalisation, that's a fact! Go through any of the Covid threads, you'll see them. Most are the same people, some were just WUMs

And I guess these folks were right to laugh - we barely scraped above 900 on Christmas Eve. Didn't make it above 1000 until Christmas Day. Oh, we silly, silly fearmongers.

538406.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sorry, to clarify. The contract is with a building contractor from Northern Ireland. My point is, given the bigger mess NI is, are they not a high risk category commuting cross border?

There are many from NI travelling from NI to ROI for work purposes including healtcare staff. Do you want to stop them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

eastie17 wrote: »
    Totally agree, bizzare. Dr John campbell on youtube, who does a daily video and talks more sense than most, was talking about this at the beginning and I started taking it and got the rest of the family to do it as well. Why wouldnt you? Its cheap and easy, and if it doesnt do anything theres no down side.

Agreed , I did the same myself. We are all pretty much vitimin D deficient in this country anyway because of the lack of sunlight.

No harm and possibly some covid good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

No fighting everyone.

The swabs will be here soon.

What about fighting with giant swabs?

duel-sub.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Drumpot wrote: »
    My Notes:
    Great summary, thanks.
    - Will there be another pandemic? Yes, just a matter of when. We got lucky with COVID that it has a relatively low mortality rate, hopefully lessons learned
    I remember at the start of this seeing an interview with a Western virologist who had gone to Wuhan (at their request) to assist them, and he I think correctly predicted that this would be very difficult to control in the West precisely because of the (relatively) low mortality rate. If it killed 20% of people we'd all be hiding. Because it kills just under 1%, and worse it mostly kills certain groups, then it will be very hard to control it as a lot of people just won't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

What about fighting with giant swabs?

duel-sub.jpg

I'll allow it

ENGAGE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement