Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I am glad we didn’t have a bad storm today in the Limerick area. I don’t think any more the 5,000 customers suffered power outages and hardly nobody will be without power for days. But it is better to be warned than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME are annoying at this stage they have posted the same radar chart at 9.30 that they posted at 6pm below is the one they put up and the current one is below

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's the latest update to the popular storm comparison table for max wind gusts - honestly blown away by just how popular it has become. In this update, I have removed Fastnet Lighthouse because I showed it previously to show just how non-comparable it was to other stations. I have added Jorge and Dennis (last update posted on here was during Ciara). If Jorge has stronger gusts at any station in the next few hours or so than those shown in the table, I will come back to this post and update it in due course.

For those who didn't see the 70s-90s comparison table (and Debbie) I posted in the stats thread, I have also quoted that. Back when there were some proper severe windstorms that directly impacted Ireland and some of our worst on record like Debbie, Jan 1974 and Feb 1988.

For new visitors, the gusts are colour coded based on the warning system set out on met.ie. Yellow is 90-110 km/h, Orange is 111-130 km/h and Red is greater than 130 km/h.

VcJWVQE.png
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    CjN6IVq.png

Data from Met Éireann.

I have also had the courtesy to update the "Storm Index" list to include the new additions and you'll be surprised with the 70s-90s ones (and Debbie) despite the lower number of stations considered.

Debbie ____ 74 (est) (57 from my table)
    Darwin ____ 72
    Jan11 1974_69
    Feb09 1988_68
    Feb27 1903_68 (est)
    Jan02 1976_64
    Dec24 1997_62
    Feb26 1990_60
    Jan27 1974_60
    Jan05 1991_59
    Dec26 1998_53
    Ulli _______ 51
    Ophelia ____49
    Doris ______49
    Erich ______49
    Brendan___48
    Jan25 1990_47
    Eleanor ____47
    Ciara______43
    Rachel _____41
    Dennis_____40
    Barney_____40
    Atiyah _____39
    Hergen ____ 39
    Elsa_______38
    Erik _______38
    Gareth ____ 37
    Hannah ____36
    Bawbag ____36
    Callum ____ 34
    Diana _____ 33
    N/A 2011 __ 33
    Jorge______33
    Dirk ______ 28
    Frank______26
    Brian _____ 25
    Deirdre ____22
    Lorenzo ___ 15

Comparing the old ones is just for fun here to show they stack up, even with the limited data. And they sure do! All of them are nearly at the top.

EDIT: First update... Malin Head gust of 111 km/h brings it into orange territory so one point added for Storm Jorge above.

EDIT: Second and final update. Malin Head recorded a gust of 117 km/h this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looking forward to the chart all day Syran. Thanks, it just confirms all of my bitter gripes.

Just out of interest, what is the worst storm you have experienced in your young lifetime?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the wind warning for Donegal was up to 9pm.

Now it's really windy at 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Oscar Bravo has martyred themself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thundersleet in Durrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭endainoz

nthclare wrote: »
    The wind was so strong in Doolin today that you had to face the land to take a breath.

It was the first time in my life I had to turn my back on the ocean and face the land in order to breathe.

I know there was worse storms but bang on 13:35 today the wind was the strongest gust I ever stood in while not in shelter.

There was pebbles blowing in the wind at clahane definitely dangerous and red.

Agreed on that one, I live in Doolin and can confirm. Red was just about justified. I had cattle fed early this morning and stayed in for the duration of the red warning. Yes we have had worse, Darwin still hasn't been beaten in our area but it was still a shocking day. Warning was justified for us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the chart all day Syran. Thanks, it just confirms all of my bitter gripes.

Just out of interest, what is the worst storm you have experienced in your young lifetime?

I'll never forget Dec 1997 that's my earliest memory of a bad storm age 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just a post-mortem on an interesting storm ...

(a) In general there was a tendency for models to give us over-amped numerical wind guidance. I think the pressure patterns verified quite well but in almost every case the model guidance was a bit strong with the core of strongest winds and this had a knock-on effect in terms of assumptions made about inland penetration. The timing and boundary issues were better handled. Some of the criticism there might be more due to failure to read the detailed discussions and take in the scale of the regional differences expected. This goes to next point ....

(b) once again our storm thread has to deal with a lot of commentary that actually belongs in the Met E forecasts thread. It's not our doing that county by county alerts are the basis for warnings. We routinely stress how these will actually play out, then we get to read (often the same half dozen critics) expounding about how bad the county by county forecast system is. We know this and can't do anything about it from here.

(c) that being said, the extension of the orange wind alerts to south coast and most inland counties was not that well supported even by over-amped numerical guidance. Only Roscommon to Kildare seemed at much risk of getting into that range. So for those who were outside the plausible orange zone, here again, we're stuck with the alerts as issued until or unless we just ignore them and draw up our own maps (then you get critics along the lines of random people on the internet issuing their own warnings). And there's a 10:1 rule at play, for any forecaster with any sort of public following, any error made on the "too weak" side will be ten times bigger as a reputation problem than vice versa. So that probably applies at the pro level too and there's a natural tendency to err on the side of caution.

(d) there were some good outcomes in terms of people avoiding trouble or damage so that's always worth a lot more than ten random whinges about "no storm here."

(e) If you look back and find that you have commented "no storm here" after every storm in every storm thread, then you need to hunt down Graces7 and become her neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

East Galway.

Fairly windy for last hour. Very windy at times in fact. Dare I say it - stronger winds than during the day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The two heads, Mace and Malin, both reporting 60-knot gusts at 23:00. Donegal Airport 54 knots.

Winds at 19:49.

504263.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

East Galway.

Fairly windy for last hour. Very windy at times in fact. Dare I say it - stronger winds than during the day today.

Same in West Galway, probably not stronger than earlier today but up there

We routinely stress how these will actually play out, then we get to read (often the same half dozen critics) expounding about how bad the county by county forecast system is. We know this and can't do anything about it from here.

With the greatest of respect M.T, but maybe those criticisms (of which some are mine) are more than justified. My eyes were really opened in the lead up to 'Ophelia' back in 2017, when red warnings were issued for regions, including this one, that the models clearly suggested beforehand would not need one. I experienced first hand how such warnings effect the most vulnerable of people (as I worked in that capacity at the time) and causes them to needlessly be scared out their wits. Shops and businesses closed, panic buying beforehand.. Thing is, as over-hyped as those warnings for Ophelia were, they still brought stronger winds than today's offering did under a similar red warning. You know and I know and most people on here can understand the nuance of these warnings, but most people outside of this little internet weather hobbiest club who have no interest in daily weather do not, so they place complete trust in these official warnings.

For what it is worth, I posted this 'probability' chart earlier yesterday, and in fairness, it wasn't too far off the mark.

bDnp1Rg.png

I (or whoever else has access to them) should post these charts more frequently if the need arises from here on in as they are useful for putting progged model output into better perspective.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Jorge hasn't gone away you know, some nasty gusts here with a passing hail shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

With the greatest of respect M.T, but maybe those criticisms (of which some are mine) are more than justified. My eyes were really opened in the lead up to 'Ophelia' back in 2017, when red warnings were issued for regions, including this one, that the models clearly suggested beforehand would not need one. I experienced first hand how such warnings effect the most vulnerable of people (as I worked in that capacity at the time) and causes them to needlessly be scared out their wits. Shops and businesses closed, panic buying beforehand.. Thing is, as over-hyped as those warnings for Ophelia were, they still brought stronger winds than today's offering did under a similar red warning. You know and I know and most people on here can understand the nuance of these warnings, but most people outside of this little internet weather hobbiest club who have no interest in daily weather do not, so they place complete trust in these official warnings.

I certainly don't disagree, however it's a case of a good proportion of posts in an event thread are complaining/bickering about the warning, then rinse and repeat the exact same arguments every 5 pages.

I certainly think it would be wise here to actively direct this discussion to its own thread as it's quite a topical subject here and creates a significant number of posts. Perhaps at the start of every event thread, a link to the warning discussion thread and a note to direct such discussions to that place.

HighLine wrote: »
    You either take a huge amount of photos from all over the country (and Wales) or else you are posting other people's intellectual property on here without giving a source or asking permission.

Maybe he just enjoys posting scenic photos. Leave him be.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

That picture was from https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/18270608.storm-jorge-rolls-high-winds/

Waves batter Maryport Prom during Storm Ciara as high tide hits. Similar scenes were seen across the county Picture: Larraine Degraff

People have a right to complain on a dedicated storm thread when that storm is not what it is sold to be.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That would be Kyrill of January 2007. Can't remember it from personal experience myself (shocker right :P ) but Dublin Airport had a max gust of 80 kts (148 km/h). That didn't have the highest daily mean wind speed though as that was 4 February 2011 with 28.8 kts which unlike 2007, I remember well. No notable gusts that day but the sustained winds definitely were noticeable. Fitted right in with that deluge weekend too.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That would be Kyrill of January 2007. Can't remember it from personal experience myself (shocker right :P ) but Dublin Airport had a max gust of 80 kts (148 km/h). That didn't have the highest daily mean wind speed though as that was 4 February 2011 with 28.8 kts which unlike 2007, I remember well. No notable gusts that day but the sustained winds definitely were noticeable. Fitted right in with that deluge weekend too.

I think I remember both these events. That January one was around new years day if I remember correctly? (or that could be 2006, I'm not sure) Brutish winds with hail and thunder mixed in for good measure.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's as windy tonight in north Donegal as it was for any of the other storms this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Very windy here now on the Tipp/Kilkenny border.

People have a right to complain on a dedicated storm thread when that storm is not what it is sold to be.

They have no rights. at all. Except those given by the moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The sleety wet snowy stuff was more entertaining than this entire thread in my considered humble opinion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

But it's the SYSTEM that you've just complained about, not the storm. The MÉ forecast as whole is quite good, but it's the warnings, and how people and media interpret these warnings that seems to be the source of the vast majority of these discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Took these yesterday, Sat 29th about 11.30 am or so. iPhone. Apologies for poor quality. Salthill, best in mind high tide had passed a few hours before.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Took these yesterday, Sat 29th about 11.30 am or so. iPhone. Apologies for poor quality. Salthill, bear in mind high tide had passed a few hours before.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pauldry wrote: »
    Went out and the wind literally knocked me over. I was going out then a sudden gust and I slipped and fell on my arse

Ouch! You OK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jorge hasn't gone away you know, some nasty gusts here with a passing hail shower.

Yep. Wild out here, which is what woke me. Little easing. Shake rattle and roll... bangs and whistles.

"Time and the hour run through the roughest day.."

Advertisement