Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

theguzman wrote: »
    I wonder if they will put anti-Aircraft warning lights on it? The foggy picture there had me thinking some idiot in a Helicopter or Cessna could crash into it.

They have ACB's (aviation anti- collision beacons on the bridge) red in colour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

It's been confirm that new Ross bypass will open on the 3rd week of January 20 Leo varadkar will cut the ribbon
    1QxsHFX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Taoiseach is serious pain in the hole that wants to muscle in on every photo opp. Presume the opening had to be scheduled to fit his diary also. I don’t remember this being a big thing with the big motorway openings a decade ago. Was mainly the transport minister of the day and that was it. Wonder will he belittle Verona Murphy again while he’s on her home turf again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

road_high wrote: »
    Taoiseach is serious pain in the hole that wants to muscle in on every photo opp. Presume the opening had to be scheduled to fit his diary also. I don’t remember this being a big thing with the big motorway openings a decade ago. Was mainly the transport minister of the day and that was it. Wonder will he belittle Verona Murphy again while he’s on her home turf again?

Memory might be due a service road_high :)

TBclyJe.png

XBqSS0W.png

Did they go to ever single one though? On my local motorway M9 I don’t think any Taoiseach (Cowen or Ahern) were at the ribbon cutting?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Those 2 were landmarks though, the M4 scheme was the biggest motorway project in the history of the state at the time and the other one was the final missing link in the M8 Cork-Dublin motorway

However, if you are able to attend every road project opening and sod turning, and even able to turn up to the signing of a contract to design, not build, a motorway, perhaps it's a sign that you might not be doing enough on infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Publications/Council_News/Photos_of_Opening_of_M9_Waterford_to_Knocktopher_Motorway.15893.shortcut.html

Noel Dempsey opened the final section of the quietest motorway in Europe (heard that on the radio recently but don't have access to figures). The M9 opened stage by stage between 1994 and 2010.

There are very few major projects opening at the moment so I can see how the PR value of this one is so high.

As for V Murphy....might be best to keep politics on another thread......

blindsider wrote: »
    https://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Publications/Council_News/Photos_of_Opening_of_M9_Waterford_to_Knocktopher_Motorway.15893.shortcut.html

Noel Dempsey opened the final section of the quietest motorway in Europe (heard that on the radio recently but don't have access to figures). The M9 opened stage by stage between 1994 and 2010.

There are very few major projects opening at the moment so I can see how the PR value of this one is so high.

As for V Murphy....might be best to keep politics on another thread......

Exactly- the record of investment is painfully sparse so every morsel is used to maximise PR- which is what Varadkar is all about.

As for the M9 no it’s not Europe’s or even Ireland’s quietest motorway- NRA traffic figures have long since debunked that myth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

M9 just gets a bad rap because it was added to the other three big "Dublin to the regions" Mways and isn't tolled.

M9 just gets a bad rap because it was added to the other three big "Dublin to the regions" Mways and isn't tolled.

The M9 has been a tremendous success and has transformed the south east which had a terrible road network. The only thing I would have done differently was branch the M8 into the M9 at Kilkenny to save costs for elsewhere but maybe now a good thing as such a road would be heading for overcapacity already

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The quietest motorway in Ireland is in Co. Galway, the M17 near Tuam. The second quietest is the M9 between the two Kilkenny junctions, the rest is much higher

marno21 wrote: »
    The quietest motorway in Ireland is in Co. Galway, the M17 near Tuam. The second quietest is the M9 between the two Kilkenny junctions, the rest is much higher

Those two section junctions are understandably quieter as they exclude most of the Kilkenny to Waterford traffic and shadow the busy N10 Kk ring road. Traffic is considerably higher either side of J8 and J9. North of Carlow figures are in the daily 20ks plus

Perfectly logical -

Waterford-Kilkenny
    Kilkenny-Dublin

will be busier than Waterford/Dublin, that'll be more so when this bridge opens even if the N30 "gap" isn't tackled for decades

Perfectly logical -

Waterford-Kilkenny
    Kilkenny-Dublin

will be busier than Waterford/Dublin, that'll be more so when this bridge opens even if the N30 "gap" isn't tackled for decades

I can’t really see it having any impact on the M9 to be honest.

Oh I do, big time. Only anecdotal but plenty of people seem to want to get straight to the north Wicklow Bray/Greystones/south and east Dublin area and not have to go anywhere near Naas - M50 section. Albeit that is now improved with the extra lanes.

Oh I do, big time. Only anecdotal but plenty of people seem to want to get straight to the north Wicklow Bray/Greystones/south and east Dublin area and not have to go anywhere near Naas - M50 section. Albeit that is now improved with the extra lanes.

Maybe but I couldn’t imagine the numbers doing that are that significant are they? Majority of dublin bound traffic is airport, port, city bound- M9 is still shorter with almost all motorway vs a mix of single carriageway, dual carriageway and motorway. N11 is no picnic around Bray either! It’s 60km from Waterford to the M11 on a mix of routes and then still 120 km or so from Dublin- you’d be a long way up the M9 in comparable time and a lot closer to Dublin- there’s a lot to be said for hopping on the motorway directly on/off at Waterford.

Another thing about to the M9 is a lot of it is inter town traffic between Kilkenny and waterford, Waterford and Carlow, Carlow and Kilkenny, Carlow Kilkenny and kildare etc etc
    The Waterford to Dublin only element is a probably a small % of the whole traffic figures

Maybe but I couldn’t imagine the numbers doing that are that significant are they? Majority of dublin bound traffic is airport, port, city bound- M9 is still shorter with almost all motorway vs a mix of single carriageway, dual carriageway and motorway. N11 is no picnic around Bray either! It’s 60km from Waterford to the M11 on a mix of routes and then still 120 km or so from Dublin- you’d be a long way up the M9 in comparable time and a lot closer to Dublin- there’s a lot to be said for hopping on the motorway directly on/off at Waterford.

Another thing about to the M9 is a lot of it is inter town traffic between Kilkenny and waterford, Waterford and Carlow, Carlow and Kilkenny, Carlow Kilkenny and kildare etc etc
    The Waterford to Dublin only element is a probably a small % of the whole traffic figures

Why are we talking about motorways when the worlds finest bridge is opening in three weeks time

No infrastructure stands alone! :) (except those Autostradas that were built by the mafia)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Once New Ross is open, there will be very, very little difference in doing Bray - Cork via M11/N30/N25, rather than M11/M50/M7/M8. One less toll too, and arguably a lot more scenic.

The tipping point is somewhere just south of Glen of the Downs when it comes to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

m17 wrote: »
    It's been confirm that new Ross bypass will open on the 3rd week of January 20 Leo varadkar will cut the ribbon
    1QxsHFX.jpg

That’s great news M17, thanks for posting. Shame that others were so upset by the content of your post and don’t seem to appreciate your efforts !

Happy 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Haven’t seen a post/rant like that since I stopped visiting politics.ie. Had he not been scheduled to open it I suspect you’d have been the first to castigate him for his arrogance in refusing to leave Dublin and visit the provinces to open this, the largest bridge of its type in the world. And the best that can be said about your final sentence is that it is totally irrelevant to this thread and forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

He's the taoiseach, of course he's going to be asked to open it. Why don't you go have a rant on a political site or Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

Political rants are not appropriate here.

This has been a great and inspiring project and is a fabulous addition to our National roads infrastructure. It is wholly appropriate that the Taoiseach should open it.. It will be a great day for everyone, dissenters included.

Tom K.

The barrow crossing 02/01/20
    lYKOttV.jpg

The barrow crossing 05/01/20 (pic fb)
    xe8IhhA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Not convinced of that opening in 3rd week of Jan? Is that still the opening date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Bards

Azatadine wrote: »
    Not convinced of that opening in 3rd week of Jan? Is that still the opening date?

https://www.southeastradio.ie/2020/01/wexford-county-council-cautious-over-new-ross-bypass-opening-date/

m17 wrote: »
    The barrow crossing 02/01/20
    lYKOttV.jpg

The concrete is ugly. Any plans to paint it or spruce it up a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭prunudo

The concrete is ugly. Any plans to paint it or spruce it up a bit?

I agree but it seems to be the norm to just leave bare concrete.

Advertisement