Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

Steve wrote: »
    My email hash is 43307bb5a6588447270a4d81cce6f3ff)

If you email me there within 30 days, I'll give you €100 and resign as a mod here. :)

Sure, why would I do that, and rob the site of such a class mod!? :)

Nah - of course there's no table with every single email address ever, together with their hashes. Was merely making the (I think, important) point that maintaining only hash values does not ensure data security.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

I asked earlier but can you give any statistics. How many posters have asked to delete all or the majority of their posts up to now?

Searching Google for "This post has been deleted." site:boards.ie returns 7,000+ results (was at 6k yesterday). Not an entirely scientific method of gauging deletions but it's not a huge number either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

dollylama wrote: »
    Searching Google for "This post has been deleted." site:boards.ie returns 7,000+ results (was at 6k yesterday). Not an entirely scientific method of gauging deletions but it's not a huge number either

I did that myself and found a few, probably less than 10, accounts gone. Some high post counts in there though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Don't think we're ever gonna forget you Permabear. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Impermabear? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

We expected that there would be a glut of requests at the start and that it would ease off after a time and that seems to be the case.

Poor assumption. More likely you will see few adopters at the start. Then people will notice the "This post has been deleted" posts about the place and realise they can do the same. I predict an upsurge in requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's ironic that a poster who bemoans government interference and the cost of bureaucracy is the first to dive under the cover of regulation.

I agree, it's only the beginning of many. As more people become aware of the option, the more widespread it will become.

It's bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Poor assumption. More likely you will see few adopters at the start. Then people will notice the "This post has been deleted" posts about the place and realise they can do the same. I predict an upsurge in requests.

The assumption that Niamh describes is the one most organisations made when GDPR was introduced. The increased ease of submitting a Data Accesss Request was expected to lead to an initial spike in requests. Why, well because it had been in the news, some people were always going to submit because of the novelty or because they simply could while others were going to submit with a clear intent such as disruption or for legal discovery.

Most organisations expect the initial spike in data access requests to ease off or settle into a steady state.

I’m hoping your prediction is wrong. I’m actually hoping that as posters see “This post has been deleted” they will see the disruption it causes and will not use it willy nilly but instead keep it for genuine concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

dudara wrote: »
    The assumption that Niamh describes is the one most organisations made when GDPR was introduced. The increased ease of submitting a Data Accesss Request was expected to lead to an initial spike in requests. Why, well because it had been in the news, some people were always going to submit because of the novelty or because they simply could while others were going to submit with a clear intent such as disruption or for legal discovery.

Most organisations expect the initial spike in data access requests to ease off or settle into a steady state.

I’m hoping your prediction is wrong. I’m actually hoping that as posters see “This post has been deleted” they will see the disruption it causes and will not use it willy nilly but instead keep it for genuine concerns.

I wouldn’t be as confident as he is about where things are going, but I think Pintman Paddy Losty makes a valid point in saying that the feature will be constantly self advertised by the “this post has been delete” notes popping up all over the website, which will grow the potential audience for using it.

I think the assumption you are making that things will cool down is definitly valid for a website whereby deletions are not publicly visible so most people are not aware or are forgetting about the process as GDPR is not in he media anymore. But the way it has been implemented on boards reminds users of the existence of that process constantly so it might be a different scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Why leave the 'This post has been deleted' piece at all? It'd be better to just have nothing there.

Those posts look awful imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Could I have my old account posts scrubbed?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Why leave the 'This post has been deleted' piece at all? It'd be better to just have nothing there.

It doesn't look great, admittedly. A bit jarring when you read it for the first time. However if we left it blank, users would think there was an issue with posts being displayed. If we deleted the posts entirely this brings another issue. Every thread that had been started by the user would also disappear including all of the other users posts who had contributed. This thread, for example, would have disappeared had we done that with OP's posts. So to combat both of those issues while fulfilling our GDPR duties we chose to replace with a string of text "This post has been deleted".
    ....... wrote: »
    It would be unfair to ban a user for exercising what is now their legal right.
    We do not close accounts without the consent of the user, e.g. if they can't access the option on the control panel for some reason.
    Try_harder wrote: »
    Could I have my old account posts scrubbed?
    You can email datarequests@boards.ie or PM Boards.ie: GDPR about this.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

I asked earlier but can you give any statistics. How many posters have asked to delete all or the majority of their posts up to now?

To date, 56 users have requested that their posts be deleted. For the most part, users have requested that their entire posting history be scrubbed, but some users have been more selective.
    RoboKlopp wrote: »

In a sense, we have to acknowledge that posts have been deleted because they could be the OP or people could be quoting / responding to them. However difficult a post being deleted makes a thread, it could be much worse if it just disappeared. There are some elements of this that require trial and error though as we didn't have real examples to work with when deciding on the process and appearance. Perhaps it is something that we can revisit.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    What's the process once the weeks cooling off period is complete?

We run an automated job that deletes all posts to that point in time. Then we do some checks to see that the tool ran correctly before deleting a person's search history (so clicking "Find all posts by ____" will come up blank provided that person doesn't post again).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why on God's earth would we do that? Posters are perfectly entitled to request deletions under the GDPR and data protection laws. To penalise them for doing so would be a d*ck move (and also possibly illegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You need a hand with that chip on your shoulder? Looks heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

dudara wrote: »
    Why on God's earth would we do that? Posters are perfectly entitled to request deletions under the GDPR and data protection laws. To penalise them for doing so would be a d*ck move (and also possibly illegal)

Posters have requested to be forgotten. To allow them continue, means you are continue to hold their data and so that they are not forgotten.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

salonfire wrote: »
    Posters have requested to be forgotten. To allow them continue, means you are continue to hold their data and so that they are not forgotten.

They haven't. They have requested to have their posts deleted.

Anyone that has requested their data be deleted has had that done for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

salonfire wrote: »

You might be taking the “right to be forgotten” too literally.

It is a right to request data deletion. Doesn’t mean that when you invoke it you should always be completely forgotten, it can can be selective deletion as long as the organisation deletes all the private data you have flagged for deletion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There is nothing in the GDPR that protects your data when you are using a service. No other forum is to my knowledge engaging like this.

At the very least if people are to delete their posts, force them to close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I can't understand why people are getting in such a rage about someone else deleting their own posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Rather than screw up all the threads you had ever participated in maybe you shouldn't have revealed so much about yourself to begin with?

The problem is simple, if this catches on the forum dies. Shall we all come in every day and delete all posts? Maybe every week? Every second week?

Will most threads be full of POST DELETED going forward? Will all long running threads lose any semblance of a discussion?

How often are you going to delete your posts - is this post of mine going to disappear soon?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement