100%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 6pm
(excluding public holidays)

Esb smart meter

09.04.2021 19:51 #1
Hi,

I Moved into a new build last year and last week got an email to say my smart meter is now active. I didn't know I had a smart meter, I didn't get an option to opt out of having a smart meter. For many reasons I don't want a smart meter. How do I go about getting the smart meter removed and an ordinary meter installed? I have emailed them.. No reply. Many thanks
09.04.2021 20:10 #2
As the smart meter is the new norm and all existing meters are being replaced across the country with smart meter I don't think removing will be an option. 
09.04.2021 22:50 #3
Thank you for your reply. I know of customers who were written to by electric Ireland and were able to opt out of having a smart meter installed, we unfortunately did not receive any correspondence.
12.04.2021 09:40 #4
Hi Annie,

Just contact ESB Networks on their dedicated Smart Meters telephone line, 1800 928 123.

Which email address did you send your query to?

Thanks,
Una
1 thank
23.04.2021 23:13 #5
Hi Una,

I have been calling this number since 12th April, speaking to 5 different people and was told that my request to have the smart meter removed from my property had been passed to my local office.
A guy named Paul who is a supervisor in the Cork office smart metering team who I spoke to on 22nd April was to call me back, I received no call back, I rang twice again on 22nd and 23rd of April and he is not returning my calls. I submitted a complaint to esb networks complaint email on 21st, this has not been acknowledged either. Do you know if there is going to be a problem here? I know that the old analogue meters are still in use as some new builds tariffs/a2w etc are not suitable for smart metering. Where should I go from here, 2 weeks trying to get an update. Thank you
Last edited by Annie20: 25.04.2021 at 08:49.
26.04.2021 09:33 #6
Hi there, 

We regret any inconvenience. 

As this is being dealt with by ESB Networks, we don't have any information. You will need to discuss this directly with them. 

Kind regards, 
Aoife
26.04.2021 09:34 #7
Esb
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right