uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Irish Water Representatives

20 hrs
Response Time
Response Rate

We're online:

Irish Water are here Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm and Saturday to Sunday, 9am to 5:30pm.

Last Week's Top Five Queries (11.05.2020 - 17.05.2020)

19.05.2020 15:58 #1
1. I think my mains water supply is contaminated with Lead. Can you advise?

There are no lead water mains in Ireland, however there are still some lead pipes remaining in the public network. As part of Irish Water's Leakage Reduction Programme, we are removing all remaining lead pipes from the public water network and replacing them with plastic (polyethylene) pipes. You may wish to have a test carried out on your own water supply for lead.

Please note, as lead in drinking water is a property specific issue, any results within your water supply that shows high levels of lead do not mean that the entire water supply is affected. For more information on this topic, please see here.

2. Can you provide me with a map showing the location of a shared sewer network?

In order to obtain maps of water and wastewater infrastructure in your area, we advise that you contact the Planning Department in your Local Authority who will be able to provide you with this.

3. There is a public main running through a house which I have purchased, and I want to extend my property. Is this permitted?

Sewer and drainage connections fall under the remit of the individual landowner and may be moved in line with building regulations. However, the exception to this rule is if there is a public main running through the property under the remit of Irish Water. 

You should have a Way Leave Agreement and the relevant documentation should have been received along with the deed of the property. Queries in relation to the diversions of public mains on private property can be directed to and our Diversions Team will be able to assist you further.

4. I would like to apply for a new wastewater connection. How do I go about this?

Depending on what phase you are in with regards to planning permission, you can fill out a form on our website here.

5. Can I temporarily disconnect the water supply to my property?

In order to turn off your supply from the public mains to your property, you can switch your supply off using the outside stop valve located in your meter box, when safe to do so. Once the works are complete you can turn back on your supply from the same location.
Reply to thread
Align left
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video
Remove Formatting
View source
Please Log In or Sign Up to join the discussion