Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Ask KBC Representatives

37 hrs
Response Time
100%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm

Unable to upgrade phone app on Android 8.1

14.05.2020 09:20 #1
Hi,

I can no longer access the KBC app and when I try to upgrade I get an error message saying the app is not compatible with my phone. I am using an Android 8.1 phone which is only 3rd generation at this stage and should still be supported. The phone works perfectly with my other banking app (AIB), and I do not need to upgrade.

Is the app only now available to customers with Android 9 or 10 devices?
If so, can you tell me when customers were informed of this removal of service to customers on older phones, and what options were now given to them to continue banking once their app stopped working?
If no forewarning was given, this accounts to a Denial of Service from the bank and I will be making a complaint to the Central Bank.

I will not upgrade my phone again, I upgraded previously solely because the KBC app was no longer compatible with my device.

I would think that during the covid-19 pandemic, that KBC would not be adding additional stress and cost to their customers by expecting them to have the latest technology to do simple banking operations.

Regards,
1 thank
14.05.2020 10:09 #2
HI, I second everything said above... my phone now incompatible with app..  BANG, your out...  no warning...  upgrade your phone... good luck, get lost... very very frustrating to have this happen without warning.   And, I am shocked to hear that this has happened to the unhappy camper above who has upgraded twice solely because you keep changing the security features... and most likely cant even use web app...

IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC!    hold on, sure I'll just pop into a phone shop and risk my whole family's health because KBC are taking ridiculously timed notions.... at least allow people to view their balance... or is that too much for you programmers?  it can be done... 

whoever sanctioned this needs a right...  (*&^%$£$%^&*   telling off.

regards
1 thank
14.05.2020 10:43 #3
Me too! Can't believe it. Running Android 8.1.

I can't even access online banking through the browser as I generate login keys through the app.

WTF KBC?
Last edited by padraig.od: 14.05.2020 at 10:46.
14.05.2020 10:57 #4
I'm getting the same issue with Android 9 so bit of a wider issue here!

Any chance of an update/explanation, please?
14.05.2020 11:29 #5
same here, I was  was told  my device isnt compatible with this version totally out of the blue today.

cant access it through browser either as I need the app for the login key
14.05.2020 21:31 #6
Seems a reversal has occurred... can access again. Inividulaistic fix? Or total rollback? Who knows... no explanation. .. .

Be prepared for a warning followed by a ' get a new phone' ..
14.05.2020 22:42 #7
Originally posted by boyleb4
Seems a reversal has occurred... can access again. Inividulaistic fix? Or total rollback? Who knows... no explanation. .. .

Be prepared for a warning followed by a ' get a new phone' ..

Customer Service told me today they had barred all 32-bit devices on a "security recommendation" from Google. They must have rolled back if you can access it now.
18.05.2020 10:43 #8
Still nothing from KBC on this. The app is no longer showing as "incompatible" on the Play Store for my phone, however it will still not work. On Friday I was told that Android 8 was incompatible and to purchase a new phone. I rang Saturday and KBC had changed their story - there was now issues with the app - they told me to call back Tuesday. In the meantime I have requested one of those digital key generators which can take two weeks to arrive. 4 days without access to my bank account is outrageous.
18.05.2020 10:43 #9
Still nothing from KBC on this. The app is no longer showing as "incompatible" on the Play Store for my phone, however it will still not work. On Friday I was told that Android 8 was incompatible and to purchase a new phone. I rang Saturday and KBC had changed their story - there was now issues with the app - they told me to call back Tuesday. In the meantime I have requested one of those digital key generators which can take two weeks to arrive. 4 days without access to my bank account is outrageous.
18.05.2020 16:04 #10
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your messages.  

In order to download the KBC app your mobile device needs to be compatible with 64 bit – this is a google requirement. If your device is not compatible our online banking can be accessed on a mobile browser using a digital key. Our customer services team can issue you a digital key if required. 

If your device is compatible with 64 bit and you are still experiencing issues downloading or using the app, we will need to speak to you directly in order to log and investigate the issue.

For any further queries, you can contact our customer services team directly on freephone on 1800 93 92 44 or abroad on 0035316646100.

Many thanks,
Lauren-Anne
18.05.2020 16:27 #11
Originally posted by AskKBC: Lauren Anne
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your messages.  

In order to download the KBC app your mobile device needs to be compatible with 64 bit – this is a google requirement. If your device is not compatible our online banking can be accessed on a mobile browser using a digital key. Our customer services team can issue you a digital key if required. 

If your device is compatible with 64 bit and you are still experiencing issues downloading or using the app, we will need to speak to you directly in order to log and investigate the issue.

For any further queries, you can contact our customer services team directly on freephone on 1800 93 92 44 or abroad on 0035316646100.

Many thanks,
Lauren-Anne

I have heard 3 different stories from 3 different KBC agents. If this is true it is outrageous that access to the phone app was cut off overnight with no notification to your customers. 

Can you show me what "Google" requirement you are speaking of? In any case the current Android app is showing as "compatible" with my device, which is 64-bit, whereas it wasn't Thursday and Friday. The app was patched on 15th May with the helpful patch notes of "Bug fixes".
21.05.2020 16:15 #12
Good afternoon Padraig,

Thank you for your message.

In order to review and investigate the app issue for you we will need to speak to you by phone.

If you would like to DM us your best contact number I can arrange a call with the team so we can investigate the issue for you?

Alternatively, you can contact our customer services team directly on freephone on 1800 93 92 44 or abroad on 0035316646100.

Many thanks,

Lauren-Anne
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image