Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Ask KBC Representatives

55 hrs
Response Time
80%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm

Chargeback refund for cancellation

21.03.2020 09:58 #1
Hello
Question about Chargeback refund. We had to cancel our flight to Frankfurt 14.03 due to Corona virus risk.
Tickets were paid with KBC card, amount 207 EUR. Ryanair refused to refund as flight cancellation was initiated by us.
Is it possible to get Chargeback refund? What is procedure?
Thanks
21.03.2020 10:05 #2
Unlikely to be able to do a chargeback if it was a change of mind.
1 thank
21.03.2020 14:31 #3
It's not just change of mind, it's risk of Corona virus, I'm in high risk group - over-55 with health issues
21.03.2020 14:41 #4
Originally posted by kozak
It's not just change of mind, it's risk of Corona virus, I'm in high risk group - over-55 with health issues

That sounds like a "you" problem. Why should ryanair be out of pocket? They still have to pay their crew whether there's one person on the flight or 100. 
You entered a contract, authorised a debit and now you're trying to take the cash from ryanair, hit them with a chargeback fee, and the admin burden of processing or contesting the chargeback. I hope KBC tell you where to go.  
1 thank
21.03.2020 16:12 #5

It’s a valid concern but not really Ryanair’s problem unfortunately.
22.03.2020 08:56 #6
Thanks for protecting Ryanair, that was very helpful! By your logic customer should bear all expenses related to virus pandemic and related cancellations.
Let's wait for KBC view on this.
22.03.2020 09:08 #7

It's not Ryanairs fault that you didn't purchase travel insurance. Ryanairs job is to get you from A to B. Your personal health issues have nothing to do with their contract with you. You had to decline the offer of travel insurance two or three times before you completed the purchase of the flight tickets.

Charge back isn't intended for cases like this.
22.03.2020 09:12 #8
Thanks for protecting Ryanair, that was very helpful! By your logic customer should bear all expenses related to virus pandemic and related cancellations. Let's wait for KBC view on this.

No. The customer should have travel insurance. Myself and my wife have annual travel insurance for around 80 euros for the entire year. The government has advised against all unnecessary travel. This means travel insurance has to pay out
1 thank
22.03.2020 10:10 #9
Unfortunately my travel insurer AXA declined to refund
22.03.2020 10:16 #10
You've no right to a chargeback here, unfortunately.
22.03.2020 10:27 #11
Unfortunately my travel insurer AXA declined to refund

I suggest going back to you travel insurance

"Important COVID-19 Travel Advisory for Germany affecting Irish citizens
On the basis of advice received from the German authorities we are advising Irish citizens (unless legally resident in Germany or transiting by air) to avoid all travel to Germany at this time.
This reflects new border entry requirements introduced to contain the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
Further information is available on the website of the Germany Foreign Ministry at:
https://www.auswaertig...fenthalt/coronavirus"

I'm pretty sure they have to pay out on the advice from the government

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/frankfurt/
22.03.2020 10:43 #12
Originally posted by Sleeper12

On the basis of advice received from the German authorities we are advising Irish citizens (unless legally resident in Germany or transiting by air) to avoid all travel to Germany at this time.
This reflects new border entry requirements introduced to contain the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
Further information is available on the website of the Germany Foreign Ministry at:
https://www.auswaertig...fenthalt/coronavirus"

The flight was on the 14th.
22.03.2020 10:57 #13
Originally posted by vandriver
Originally posted by Sleeper12

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus"

The flight was on the 14th.

Sorry my mistake. I thought you were flying out today at five past two.

There is nothing you can do. Tough enough as it is you just have to take it on the chin. Personally I think the government could have made that warning sooner but they didn't.

Here's the glass half full story, you didn't go. You didn't get involved in any German lock down. You weren't quarantined in a hotel for two weeks & another two weeks quarantine on your return to Ireland. You & your family are safe & healthy. You made a sensible decision that might have saved your life. I'm sorry you lost 207 Euro but yor are alive.
1 thank
22.03.2020 11:07 #14
Thanks for protecting Ryanair, that was very helpful! By your logic customer should bear all expenses related to virus pandemic and related cancellations.
Let's wait for KBC view on this.

Who’s protecting Ryanair? You decided not to travel, for reasons that are perfectly valid and most would agree with that decision but equally the plane flew so you could have travelled.

It’s a ****ty situation but if that €200 is all you lose due to this pandemic you’ll be doing better than most.
23.03.2020 10:27 #15
Good morning Kozak,

Thank you for your query. In order to query if a chargeback is a viable option, you will need to speak directly with our disputes team.

You can contact the team regarding this. You can call the card security team  on 1800 93 62 87 or +353 1 634 79 63 if calling from abroad.

Many thanks,

Lauren

Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image