Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Irish Water Representatives

22 hrs
Response Time
89%
Response Rate

We're online:

Irish Water are here Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm and Saturday to Sunday, 9am to 5:30pm.

Can I turn off my own water supply

08.03.2020 15:15 #1
- am I allowed turn off my own water supply?
- how do I technically do it?
- if not - is there a charge involved?

I want to repair a broken hose pipe in at the back of my house (which I have managed to plug temporarily). The supply to this hose goes through my (very old) house but by-passes the stop valve that turns off the water in the rest of the house.
08.03.2020 15:18 #2
Should be a valve/lever you can turn out in the public road.... where the new meters were located.
08.03.2020 15:20 #3
Of course you can turn it off, there is no charge and anything past the meter is yours to do as you please....

The meter has a stop valve on it or you may have another on the property depending.
08.03.2020 15:25 #4
If it has a new style meter outside there's a key inside the plastic shore cover to turn off the water, if it's one of the old Uisce type metal shores you will need a  water key to turn off..

Woodies have them, handy to have about the house in an emergency...
https://www.woodies.ie...ound-stopcock-335983
09.03.2020 09:42 #5
Verified representative
Hi jgoty2001,
Originally posted by jgoty2001
- am I allowed turn off my own water supply?
- how do I technically do it?
- if not - is there a charge involved?

I want to repair a broken hose pipe in at the back of my house (which I have managed to plug temporarily). The supply to this hose goes through my (very old) house but by-passes the stop valve that turns off the water in the rest of the house.

Thanks for getting in touch.

You can turn off your supply from the public mains to your property. You can switch your supply off using the outside stop valve located in your meter box, provided that is safe to do so.

Once the works are complete you can turn back on your supply.

Kind regards,
Niamh
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image