Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Irish Water Representatives

12 hrs
Response Time
100%
Response Rate

We're online:

Irish Water are here Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm and Saturday to Sunday, 9am to 5:30pm.

Building over a shared sewer line

17.02.2020 23:21 #1
Hi

I've purchased a site with a partial build on it. The previous owner had progressed to floor slab stage and part of the property was constructed over a shared sewer line running along the back of the property. The sewer is intact and in use by the neighboring properties. There are manholes either side of the where it goes under the foundation/slab and the work bridging the pipes looks good. Planning permission is granted to proceed on the existing footings but I'm just wondering what considerations if any I must give to the location of the sewer pipe.

Cheers
Gar.
18.02.2020 09:34 #2
Verified representative
Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch.

When the planning permission was granted, all pipe work should have been taken into account.

We recommend contacting the Planning Department within your Local Authority for further information on this.

Thanks,
Agata
18.02.2020 10:09 #3
Thanks Agata. I'll follow up with my architect and the local authority if need be. 
18.02.2020 10:34 #4
Verified representative
Hi there,

You are very welcome:)

Please feel free to get in touch again, should you have any other queries.

Have a good day,
Agata
18.02.2020 13:50 #5
Originally posted by Irish Water: Agata
Hi there,

You are very welcome:)

Please feel free to get in touch again, should you have any other queries.

Have a good day,
Agata

Actually I do have one more :-)

Outside my site are two water meter boxes in the path. One is the neighboring house, and I'm thinking the 2nd one was installed at the same time as the first in preparation for connection to the new house under construction on my site. The 'spare' meter box is not connected to any supply pipe on my site as of now (this is my job I know) but I assume it is connected to the mains already. So I may have lucked out in that I don't need to request a new connection as one is already there. What should I do to verify that this is the case?

Cheers
Gar. 
18.02.2020 15:40 #6
Verified representative
Hi Gar,

We are currently looking into this for you and as soon as we receive further information, we will be in touch.

Thanks,
Agata
20.02.2020 14:54 #7
Verified representative
Hi Gar,

A connection agreement with Irish Water has to be in place before connecting to the mains. Under the New Connection Policy, you would still be liable for the charges unless you can prove that the connection was previously paid for.

We hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
Agata
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list