Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

Tesco Mobile Blocking Legal Apps

31.07.2019 16:49 #16
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Erica
Hi emo72,

As this is an UK app, only users within the United Kingdom are allowed to use the BBC iPlayer App. Tesco Mobile do not block any streaming services.

Just to let you know, if you need an instant reply, you can also contact us through the service "Chat Now" from our website, where you can speak live with an agent.

Thanks,

Erica

Hi Erica,

Thanks for your response and attempting to clarify the situation, but, you are completely wrong in what you have posted!!

First of all, it is not a UK app. Otherwise, it would not be freely available to Irish customers in the Google Playstore.

Second of all, your assertion that "only users within the United Kingdom are allowed to use the BBC iPlayer App" is also wrong. As I said in my opening post (which you clearly do not appear to have read properly), it works perfectly fine when connected to wifi with an Irish IP address. Also, others here have commented that it works fine on other Irish mobile networks. Again, just to be clear, I clearly stated that I am referring to the BBC iPlayer RADIO app in my OP.

Finally, if Tesco Mobile do not block any streaming services, why does this app not work on your network despite it working on every other network in Ireland and despite trying several devices (which it works fine on when connected to wifi)?

If you could offer some further information, I would be grateful.

Thanks & Regards,

BM.
01.08.2019 04:33 #17
Hi TM I'm currently a 3.ie customer and I successfully use the "BBC iPlayer radio" app to listen to "live" and other BBC radio programs while using my 3 data connection.
If I switch to Tesco Mobile will the app continue to work as above ?
2 thanks
01.08.2019 17:11 #18
I was curious so I googled. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/listen-outside-uk

Is it the international version you are using?
1 thank
01.08.2019 17:14 #19
There are two versions of the BBC iPlayer Radio app, one specific to the UK and an international version. If your phone is registered in Ireland you'll get the, perfectly legal, international version with some restrictions.

https://play.google.co...ernational&hl=en

Works fine for me on Vodafone's mobile network.
1 thank
01.08.2019 18:14 #20
Yes, using the correct version - I know this because, for example, it blocks out commentary on the Premier League gaming with a voice saying that the commentary is not available in your region due to not having the rights.
02.08.2019 09:07 #21
If you do a check online using mobile, does your handset show as being in Ireland or the UK?

Wondering are tesco routing their internet somewhere, breaking the geolock that should work in Ireland.
1 thank
02.08.2019 09:11 #22
BBC apps work fine for me on Tesco Mobile with mobile data
02.08.2019 11:25 #23
Hi BandMember,

I can confirm Tesco Mobile have no restrictions placed on the BBC iPlayer Radio app. Although, you may not be able to access some of the content within the app for legal reason, due to the fact you are outside of the UK. These would be restrictions placed by the BBC iPlayer Radio, not Tesco Mobile. 

You can download third party apps that can change your VPN in order for you to listen to these restricted options that are no available outside of the UK if this is the issue.

You mentioned that when accessing parts of the app it continues to load, is this once you click on certain content or when you first access the app? 

Regards,

Aoife 
1 thank
02.08.2019 17:18 #24
Thanks Aoife for clarifying that.

However, maybe you can explain why it does not work on your network so?

In relation to the "loading" that I mentioned, the app itself opens fine, no problem, and I can navigate my way around the content in it. However, when I try to play any content, it starts to open and then just keeps on loading until it times out. But, if I switch to wifi and try to open the exact same content, it opens immediately!

So, as you can imagine, I'm completely baffled!!! :confused:
02.08.2019 17:56 #25
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Aoife C
Hi BandMember,

I can confirm Tesco Mobile have no restrictions placed on the BBC iPlayer Radio app. Although, you may not be able to access some of the content within the app for legal reason, due to the fact you are outside of the UK. These would be restrictions placed by the BBC iPlayer Radio, not Tesco Mobile.

You can download third party apps that can change your VPN in order for you to listen to these restricted options that are no available outside of the UK if this is the issue.

You mentioned that when accessing parts of the app it continues to load, is this once you click on certain content or when you first access the app?

Regards,

Aoife

They're getting better, only took 22 previous posts to get an answer !
Keep up the good work TM, keep improving your CS and aim for 20 next time.
1 thank
05.08.2019 09:54 #26
Hi BandMember,

I do apologies about the issues you have been experiencing recently. The reason why it might show up as 'blocked' is because it's region restricted which means that the application can only be downloaded or installed within the country that it is allowed to be used.

Thanks,
Ion
06.08.2019 02:08 #27
Subscriber
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Ion
Hi BandMember,

I do apologies about the issues you have been experiencing recently. The reason why it might show up as 'blocked' is because it's region restricted which means that the application can only be downloaded or installed within the country that it is allowed to be used.

Thanks,
Ion

Oops! Seems they've lost the plot again. Hardly surprising though, with six TescoMobile reps. giving their opinions.
1 thank
06.08.2019 02:10 #28
Originally posted by Esel
I fail to see why these questions cannot be answered in public on this thread.

There is no need for this PM mallarkey.

Other users are interested in the answers too.

Careful now, when people started asking this on the Vodafone and Eir forums the companies closed the fourm down for good!
06.08.2019 18:36 #29
So, the app worked for a few days and is back to not working at all today.

Can all Tesco Reps please read this carefully: I am not trying to access any restricted content. I am only trying to play freely available content. It works fine on wifi but not on your network.

Would you care to provide an update, please?

P.S. Also, your data speeds have gone from bad to worse recently - either get just E or no coverage at all half the time....
07.08.2019 19:30 #30
Originally posted by BandMember
P.S. Also, your data speeds have gone from bad to worse recently - either get just E or no coverage at all half the time....

It's been absolutely brutal for me the last week or so... :mad:
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image