Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Sky Ireland Representatives

7 hrs
Response Time
92%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 1pm-5pm

Upgrading to Sky Q box

10.07.2019 16:04 #1
Hi Sky

I have the Sky HD box and was looking to price getting the Q box plus one multiroom. Would you be able to give me a price please as i cant make it out on your website and the person i asked on the phone last time hadnt a clue what they were talking about to i just left it. 

Is an engineer needed to set this up? 
Will i be charged if there is an engineer needed?
Can i do this myself for free?
How much is multiroom?
Do i pay for the box?
Will my bill stay the same but with the add on of the multiroom?
10.07.2019 16:33 #2
Hi Telly,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at the Sky Ireland Boards.ie Team.

I am delighted to hear you are interested in upgrading to Sky Q (we're big fans)!!

If you could please send a PM to Sky Ireland: Reps with your details, one of the team will be in touch. Please bear in mind, PM's sent in after 5pm will be picked up the following working day between 1pm-5pm.

Thanks,

Carmel :)
10.07.2019 16:36 #3
Thanks Carmel, just sent you a message there. 
10.07.2019 20:10 #4
Originally posted by Telly
How much is multiroom?
Do i pay for the box?

@Sky Reps - why not answer those questions publicly?

Im sure others would benefit from the info.
4 thanks
10.07.2019 20:28 #5
Sky Q uses a different sat lnb and not the same as your sky + hd box.
Mention also if you have other freesat boxes on sat dish as a HYBRID lnb would then be needed.
10.07.2019 22:26 #6
Originally posted by muffler
@Sky Reps - why not answer those questions publicly?

Im sure others would benefit from the info.

I agree. They asked me to give my phone number. I don’t want a call about.
1 thank
10.07.2019 22:27 #7
Originally posted by greasepalm
Sky Q uses a different sat lnb and not the same as your sky + hd box.
Mention also if you have other freesat boxes on sat dish as a HYBRID lnb would then be needed.

I only have one sky hd box and nothing else. So would the Q not just connect to the same dish the same way?
11.07.2019 00:43 #8
I only have one sky hd box and nothing else. So would the Q not just connect to the same dish the same way?

Sky Q will use same dish as long as it can take the new Sky Q lnb
Sky Q lnb only has 2 connections and is different type of connections that your Sky HD box uses

If a new dish is required they will install one with no cost involved

Sky Q Lnb uses a different lnb that fresat or Sky HD boxes use

If you want to use your existing Sky HD box as a free to air box or connect freesat tv or freesat box at some stage you need a hybrid LNB

Hybrid Lnb has 4 connections for standard sat connections and 2 Sky Q connections

Sky Q multiroom works using a Sky Q mini box and connects wirelessly to Sky Q main box

Sky Q mini box is not connected to Dish
Last edited by paulboland: 11.07.2019 at 00:50.
2 thanks
11.07.2019 13:00 #9
Verified representative
Hi Telly,

I would be happy to answer your questions here :)

If you are looking to upgrade to Sky Q an engineer visit is required, there is no additional cost for this as it is included in the cost of upgrading the boxes.

A new LNB is required for Sky Q so the engineer will service the dish, install the equipment and give a quick tutorial on how the Sky Q system works.  

If you are interested in getting a Sky Q mini box the Sky Q Multiscreen charge is €17.50 per month. If you get more than one mini box there will be no additional monthly cost only the upfront payment required for the mini. If you do upgrade to Sky Q there will be no difference in the bill other than the Sky Q Multiscreen charge.

There is a cost attached to upgrading the boxes. The price for Sky Q does vary but as standard a Sky Q 1TB box is €149 and a Sky Q 2TB box is €179 at the moment. Mini boxes are charged at €120.

If you want any further information you can send a PM to Sky Ireland: Reps with your details and I would be happy to assist further.

All the best,
Ciara

Hi Sky

I have the Sky HD box and was looking to price getting the Q box plus one multiroom. Would you be able to give me a price please as i cant make it out on your website and the person i asked on the phone last time hadnt a clue what they were talking about to i just left it. 

How much is multiroom?
Do i pay for the box?
2 thanks
11.07.2019 13:24 #10
Hi Ciara

Thank you so much, you're very good and now everything is much clearer in my head. Think I'll get the Q box now :) 
1 thank
11.07.2019 23:35 #11
Originally posted by Sky Ireland: Ciara
Hi Telly,

I would be happy to answer your questions here :)

If you are looking to upgrade to Sky Q an engineer visit is required, there is no additional cost for this as it is included in the cost of upgrading the boxes.

A new LNB is required for Sky Q so the engineer will service the dish, install the equipment and give a quick tutorial on how the Sky Q system works.  

If you are interested in getting a Sky Q mini box the Sky Q Multiscreen charge is €17.50 per month. If you get more than one mini box there will be no additional monthly cost only the upfront payment required for the mini. If you do upgrade to Sky Q there will be no difference in the bill other than the Sky Q Multiscreen charge.

There is a cost attached to upgrading the boxes. The price for Sky Q does vary but as standard a Sky Q 1TB box is €149 and a Sky Q 2TB box is €179 at the moment. Mini boxes are charged at €120.

If you want any further information you can send a PM to Sky Ireland: Reps with your details and I would be happy to assist further.

All the best,
Ciara

Hi Sky

How much is multiroom?
Do i pay for the box?

would you mind explaining why it is,EXISTING customers with dish mounted, cables run and everything in place (including long standing VIP sky accounts) are being charged €179 for "installation" yet new customers with no history or equipment in place, ie the engineer will need to drill holes , mount dishes etc, are being charged a quarter of this ???? ..Bizarrely, if I wanted even more more additional boxes you would wave the "installation fee", even though the engineer would have to do MORE work !!!!!
As for getting a hybrid LNB, last time I spoke to a sky rep over the phone, they denied such a thing existed !!!

Currently I have my own setup here and all I need/want from sky is a hybrid LNB and the actual sky q box. I dont need an engineer to install cables or drill holes etc. I dont want them touching my setup at all to be honest ( i have a toridal dish mounted that caters for 9 different sats !! ). It would be the easiest install EVER for Sky but you want €179 !!!!

I would have moved to sky q AGES ago if it wasn't for the frankly outrageous charges being charged by sky to existing customers !!!!.. I just dont understand why you treat existing customers like this, especially seeing as we are way down the road of sky q being "new tech".
I look forward to your comprehensive reply sky reps !

cheers
Last edited by MrTrebus: 12.07.2019 at 00:02.
12.07.2019 00:51 #12
Nice setup wave frontier Toroidal 90 cm dish,my thoughts they would not go near that setup of yours but would need independent sat dish to which hybrid or non hybrid depending on your needs would be and new cable runs needed.
 Was the E179 mentioned for a 2 tb box.
If i was going for an upgrade of my old Sky+hd box of years ago i would need a new sat dish and lnb as my old sky dish has an octo lnb full of cables. " my thoughts of new tech was upgraded from full HD to ultra Hd as next door neighbours are using scart on their box and tv old skool."
12.07.2019 13:00 #13
Hi MrTebus,

Thanks for you post.

All Sky Q installs do require our Sky dish and our standard LNB. Regards pricing, offers can differ from account to account. If you would like to PM me your contact details and account number to Sky Ireland: Reps I will be able to see what is available on your account.

Thanks,
James :) 
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image