Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Vodafone Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 10am - 2pm

hive hub

15.06.2019 11:06 #1
Hi
 Thought I'd chance a question here.
Anyone have difficulty connecting hive hub to Vodafone router? 
Is the HG658c   model.
Hive connects, gets an IP but wont connect to internet.
uPNP is enabled
Hive suggested try ringing Vodafone, but getting stonewalled by the techs there 
18.06.2019 12:17 #2
Hi there,
Apologies for the delay in responding to your query. We would recommend you query this further with Hive as we cannot support assistance on third party devices. ~Ailís
18.06.2019 12:45 #3
The Hive hub doesn't need uPNP enabled as it doesn't need any open ports to function. Everything goes via Hive's web services and the hub has a number of open connections to them when connected. The app, whether you're on you're own WiFi  network or on mobile internet always talks to your hub via these same servers. This means that you can't control your hub from the app within your own home if your Internet connection is down.

I'm able to monitor the destination of traffic from devices connected to my router and have discovered that Hive's web services seem to be hosted on Amazon's AWS (Amazon Web Services). Try opening up a CMD prompt in Windows and enter

ping kinesis.eu-west-1.amzonaws.com

If it can't find it it could be a Vodafone DNS problem so try setting your router to use Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if that helps
18.06.2019 12:49 #4
Originally posted by Alun
The Hive hub doesn't need uPNP enabled as it doesn't need any open ports to function. Everything goes via Hive's web services and the hub has a number of open connections to them when connected. The app, whether you're on you're own WiFi  network or on mobile internet always talks to your hub via these same servers. This means that you can't control your hub from the app within your own home if your Internet connection is down.

I'm able to monitor the destination of traffic from devices connected to my router and have discovered that Hive's web services seem to be hosted on Amazon's AWS (Amazon Web Services). Try opening up a CMD prompt in Windows and enter

ping kinesis.eu-west-1.amzonaws.com

If it can't find it it could be a Vodafone DNS problem so try setting your router to use Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and see if that helps

Thanks Alun, currently used cloudflare open DNS, (vodafone DNS is pish)
Waiting on new hub but I'll try the google DNS tonight .
Ta very
18.06.2019 12:55 #5
Just tried out using 1.1.1.1 as DNS using nslookup and it finds kinesis.eu-west-1.amzonaws.com OK but returns a different IP to Google's DNS which is what I use succesfully with my Hive hub.
1 thank
20.06.2019 18:20 #6
Just wondering, did you get it sorted?
20.06.2019 22:15 #7
Originally posted by Alun
Just wondering, did you get it sorted?

Cheers Alun.
Nope, getting a new one sent
Tried open DNS and Google DNS.
Many thanks for your efforts
1 thank
Reply to thread