Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Ask KBC Representatives

96 hrs
Response Time
71%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm

Overcharged on contactless

26.05.2019 23:33 #1
Was in the bar on Friday and got charged 25.80 for a pint that should have cost 5.80 - now I understand it was very likely just a mistake of pressing the 2 and 5 together
But what are the avenues for me to get refunded for this? I will call in to the bar tomorrow, I know them fairly well so I'm sure it will be no problem but what if the bar or other establishment said no mistake tough luck.
The bar in question pretty much never gives receipts or even shows you the reader (like many bars I go into and even shops - you kinda give a degree of trust to them) so if they say nada can I challenge the charge?
1 thank
27.05.2019 14:11 #2
Sorry for butting in but I would recommend getting Revolut or similar app and using it as a daily card. You get an instant notification on your phone of the spend amount so a lot less likely to be overcharged.

At least until banks catch up on this technology.
2 thanks
29.05.2019 10:48 #3
Verified representative
Originally posted by fritzelly
Was in the bar on Friday and got charged 25.80 for a pint that should have cost 5.80 - now I understand it was very likely just a mistake of pressing the 2 and 5 together
But what are the avenues for me to get refunded for this? I will call in to the bar tomorrow, I know them fairly well so I'm sure it will be no problem but what if the bar or other establishment said no mistake tough luck.
The bar in question pretty much never gives receipts or even shows you the reader (like many bars I go into and even shops - you kinda give a degree of trust to them) so if they say nada can I challenge the charge?

Morning fritzelly, thanks for getting in touch. Yes we have a card security team here in KBC who will be happy to assist you in raising a dispute on a point of sale transaction. We would just need to speak to you over the phone.  I can arrange a call back for you with one of our customer service agents if you provide your best contact number, otherwise you can Freephone the team on 1800 93 92 44 or abroad on 0035316646100. Thanks, Katie
29.05.2019 13:40 #4
THanks but the bar refunded no oroblem
07.06.2019 10:52 #5
Kirsten,

Quick question on the app,As wheety mentioned other apps give out notifications when the card is used straight away, Any chance in getting this added to the app or even this feedback throwing at the team. I find this very handy on other apps.
2 thanks
15.07.2019 17:05 #6
Originally posted by Bummer1234
Kirsten,

Quick question on the app,As wheety mentioned other apps give out notifications when the card is used straight away, Any chance in getting this added to the app or even this feedback throwing at the team. I find this very handy on other apps.

I take that as a no......
16.07.2019 11:21 #7
Verified representative
Kirsten,

Hi Bummer1234,
Thanks for sharing your feedback, we have passed your suggestion on to our app development team to consider.
Thanks, Lauren
16.07.2019 15:25 #8
Originally posted by AskKBC: Lauren
Kirsten,

Hi Bummer1234,
Thanks for sharing your feedback, we have passed your suggestion on to our app development team to consider.
Thanks, Lauren

Set the clock ticking lads - I expect an answer in 2-3 years and that answer will be 'we are working on this and it should be available soon' 
Fast forward another 12 months and the above answer will still be presented. 
2 thanks
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon