Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Bank of Ireland Representatives

7 hrs
Response Time
98%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday – Friday 8am till 6pm
Saturday 8am till 1pm

My debit card was used fraudulently. Will I get the money back?

14.05.2019 18:33 #1
My debit card was used fraudulently yesterday. I have lost over €2,500 as a result of this. Two large fraudulent payments are lingering in "Transactions in Progress". I reported this to BOI and they cancelled my card and are investigating, but the sum has actually been deducted from my account balance.

I am going on holiday for several months tomorrow and I would like some reassurance that this money will be returned to my account as soon as possible.
14.05.2019 18:34 #2
Originally posted by Rhyso
My debit card was used fraudulently yesterday. I have lost over €2,500 as a result of this. Two large fraudulent payments are lingering in "Transactions in Progress". I reported this to BOI and they cancelled my card and are investigating, but the sum has actually been deducted from my account balance.

I am going on holiday for several months tomorrow and I would like some reassurance that this money will be returned to my account as soon as possible.

From a similar exp. It was returned, quite prompt as well.
1 thank
14.05.2019 18:37 #3
Had several hundred taken by iTunes a while back too,got it all back.

Fair play and credit where it's due. BOI did well but they investigated for couple of days and refunded.
14.05.2019 18:38 #4
Ditto. In my case BoI noticed it before I did.
1 thank
14.05.2019 18:49 #5
Originally posted by blergh
Ditto. In my case BoI noticed it before I did.

Same here.
In middle of the night as well.

What I did then was to set up a 2nd online account, and keep only a few hundred in my no1 account,the one linked to my debit card. That way it limits what you could lose if a victim of fraud again.

Then I move money into it from the other account as I need it.
2 thanks
15.05.2019 10:27 #6
Originally posted by Rhyso

Hi Rhyso,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We are really sorry to hear that you have been the victim of fraud on your account. Please be assured that once you have reported this to our Card Security Team this will be investigated thoroughly. Once this has been investigated our Fraud Team will be in touch with you.

Please feel free to get in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen
16.05.2019 05:43 #7
Originally posted by Bank of Ireland: Jennifer
Hi Rhyso,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We are really sorry to hear that you have been the victim of fraud on your account. Please be assured that once you have reported this to our Card Security Team this will be investigated thoroughly. Once this has been investigated our Fraud Team will be in touch with you.

Please feel free to get in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen

I see one of the fraudulent transactions is still appearing on my account. Quite worried it won't be reversed.
16.05.2019 11:35 #8
Hi Rhyso,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us.

I completely understand your worry. If you’d like an update on the investigation you can contact our fraud team on 014885466.

Thanks,

Lorna
16.05.2019 11:41 #9
Originally posted by NIMAN
Same here.
In middle of the night as well.

What I did then was to set up a 2nd online account, and keep only a few hundred in my no1 account,the one linked to my debit card. That way it limits what you could lose if a victim of fraud again.

Then I move money into it from the other account as I need it.

Same here for the same reasons.
Main account has no cards linked to it and just drop whats needed onto debit card account as and when needed.
16.05.2019 21:50 #10
this happened me too yesterday. not a big amount and its been sorted. boi even gave me the USA address it had been used, checked google streets and it looks like some dive bar in the middle of nowhere. it's weirded me out a bit how the feck it could have happened. 
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video