Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Electric Ireland Representatives

6 hrs
Response Time
90%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 6pm
(excluding public holidays)

Can I set up an independent prepay power meter from a socket?

09.05.2019 19:27 #1
So I'm going to get a shed built out my parents back garden to live in. For electricity I'm just going to run an extension lead out from the house. Can I set up a prepay power meter to just pay for the electricity that is drawn from that socket to the extension lead?
10.05.2019 09:54 #2
Hi Jp1506,

Thanks for getting in touch.

This is not possible for an Electric Ireland pay as you go (PAYG) meter, as a separate meter point reference number (MPRN) would be needed. A PAYG meter works in tandem with the ESB Networks meter/connection that's already there.

There is a fee to set up another connection (MPRN) and this is carried out by ESB Networks. The customer chooses their billing/PAYG company then.

Best regards,
Una
1 thank
10.05.2019 09:57 #3
Originally posted by Jp1506
So I'm going to get a shed built out my parents back garden to live in. For electricity I'm just going to run an extension lead out from the house. Can I set up a prepay power meter to just pay for the electricity that is drawn from that socket to the extension lead?

You can get something like an owl or other clip on power usage meter and then you can count up the units used per month and settle up that way?

Installing a meter is a big job and requires fully certified electrician to install a consumer unit and sign off on electrical compliance before submitting a cert confirming same to ESB networks allowing a meter installation.
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon