Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Ask KBC Representatives

47 hrs
Response Time
71%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm

Phone Call Security Issues

15.03.2019 12:25 #1
I have received a few phone calls from KBC over the last few weeks. Each and every time they have asked me to provide answers to security questions, which I have refused to do. I ask for a name and department so that I can contact the bank myself through the main contact number.

Why on earth are you contacting customers and requesting answers to security questions over the phone? Are you, as a bank, completely blind to common sense security ? If anything I should be asking you security questions regarding my account.

The policy goes completely against "never give out personal details over the phone".

I would like some feedback on this please reps.
1 thank
16.03.2019 00:04 #2
I agree. Could be anyone saying they're from KBC. It's not unknown for scammers to lie.
1 thank
22.03.2019 08:04 #3
Verified representative
Originally posted by ProjectMoose
I have received a few phone calls from KBC over the last few weeks. Each and every time they have asked me to provide answers to security questions, which I have refused to do. I ask for a name and department so that I can contact the bank myself through the main contact number.

Why on earth are you contacting customers and requesting answers to security questions over the phone? Are you, as a bank, completely blind to common sense security ? If anything I should be asking you security questions regarding my account.

The policy goes completely against "never give out personal details over the phone".

I would like some feedback on this please reps.

Hi and thank you for your query.

When making outbound calls we need to verify we are speaking with the account holder before continuing the call. This is to protect the security of the account. We understand if you do not wish to proceed with the call and are always happy if you feel more comfortable calling back in.

Thanks,
Louise
22.03.2019 09:13 #4
While I understand that you need to verify who you are speaking with, can you not see that goes against common sense security practice? You are inviting customers to fall victim to vishing (phone phishing scams).

From the KBC webpage regarding "Security and Fraud Awareness"

"Phishing, Smishing and Vishing
If you receive any calls, voicemail, texts or emails purporting to be from KBC and asking for log-in or account details, please report them to:
alert@kbc.ie or 1800 93 92 44"

I am not happy that my Bank actively breaks its own security policy.
3 thanks
28.03.2019 17:03 #5
I see security is a top priority at KBC.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video