Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

7 hrs
Response Time
94%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

BBC Sounds/iPlayer

07.03.2019 15:24 #1
Hi

I've a Moto G5 Plus Dual Sim and am based in Central Dublin. One Sim is a Tesco account and the other a Vodafore Pay as you Go. 

For the past number of weeks when I use BBC iPlayer I get the message 'This content doesn't seem to be working' cf. the attached image. Yet when I switch Sims it works fine on Vodafone. Needless to say I don't want to be doing that as I only bought a Dual Sim because Tesco coverage in the West of Ireland where I have to go on business regularly is poor compared to Vodafone. Other Internet services like Google, email work ok on Tesco even when BBC isn't working. The phone itself is working fine and is only about 18 months old. I'm also always well within my limits for monthly Data allowances.

I've checked the BBC settings, restarted the phone many times, deleted and reinstalled BBC iPlayer several times. I've also googled around various websites, fora and boards for a likely explanation or fix without success. I've been a Tesco account customer for quite a few years, but this is not fixed, I'm gone.

Thanks

Attached Images

07.03.2019 15:47 #2
Hi jjjulio,

We can certainly look into that for you. Please send us a DM here with your mobile number.

If your account is registered, please confirm your full name, address and mother's maiden name. If it is unregistered, please confirm your PIN1 and PUK1 or 2 recently dialled numbers from your phone.

If you have any further queries, you can call our customer care team on 1749 from a Tesco Mobile phone or on 089 420 0000 from another network's phone or a landline.

Thanks,
Antun
07.03.2019 23:05 #3
Originally posted by jjjulio
Hi

I've a Moto G5 Plus Dual Sim and am based in Central Dublin. One Sim is a Tesco account and the other a Vodafore Pay as you Go. 

For the past number of weeks when I use BBC iPlayer I get the message 'This content doesn't seem to be working' cf. the attached image. Yet when I switch Sims it works fine on Vodafone. Needless to say I don't want to be doing that as I only bought a Dual Sim because Tesco coverage in the West of Ireland where I have to go on business regularly is poor compared to Vodafone. Other Internet services like Google, email work ok on Tesco even when BBC isn't working. The phone itself is working fine and is only about 18 months old. I'm also always well within my limits for monthly Data allowances.

I've checked the BBC settings, restarted the phone many times, deleted and reinstalled BBC iPlayer several times. I've also googled around various websites, fora and boards for a likely explanation or fix without success. I've been a Tesco account customer for quite a few years, but this is not fixed, I'm gone.

Thanks
BBC Iplayer is geo locked, you can only watch it in the UK or using a VPN.
08.03.2019 09:45 #4
Originally posted by 200motels
Hi

Thanks

BBC Iplayer is geo locked, you can only watch it in the UK or using a VPN.

Thanks but I only use it for BBC Sounds, not for TV and it's worked fine before on Tesco Mobile and also works fine on Vodafone. The screenshot shows a Maya Anglelou book dramatisation unavailable but I've listened to the previous dramatisations only a few months ago on Tesco Mobile and on catchup, not streaming. Also services like TuneIn radio work fine but they've very limited catchup. It would thus seem geo-locking doesn't apply to radio. Never used a VPN as I don't use BBC catchup enough to justify cost.
08.03.2019 13:00 #5
This is the first reply Tesco’s reps sent me:

Thank you for confirming your details. 

BBC iPlayer is funded by the UK TV Licence and its use is restricted to UK residents only. You should be able to access some of the content using WiFi, but some features or content may be restricted to the UK users for rights/legal reasons.

When I pointed out in reply that this was not right based on what I’d already said in my email that I’d been able to use BBC Sounds up till some weeks ago on Tesco Mobile and that Vodafone can access those services when Tesco can’t they promised to consult their technical team and revert. They’ve done so now with this reply:

As you were advised yesterday by my colleague Antun, the matter was raised with the technical team to ensure that correct information is provided.

The technical team have confirmed that the issue is not network related and there is nothing on our side that would restrict the usage. 

Apologise for all the inconvenience caused by this.

Needless the poverty of this response and lack of apology for not reading the email properly or for the completely wrong information given comes as little surprise. Would anyone have any suggestions re having Tesco improve their response – links that might help, possible causes for the recent change, reboots/resettiings to try etc or something in their own experience which might help me fix the problem.

Thanks
08.03.2019 13:05 #6
This is the first reply the Tesco reps sent me.

Thank you for confirming your details.

BBC iPlayer is funded by the UK TV Licence and its use is restricted to UK residents only. You should be able to access some of the content using WiFi, but some features or content may be restricted to the UK users for rights/legal reasons.

When I pointed out in reply that this was not right based on what I had already said in my email that I was able to use BBC Sounds up till some weeks ago on Tesco Mobile and that Vodafone can access those services when Tesco cannot they promised to consult their technical team and revert. They did with this reply.

As you were advised yesterday by my colleague Antun, the matter was raised with the technical team to ensure that correct information is provided.

The technical team have confirmed that the issue is not network related and there is nothing on our side that would restrict the usage.

Apologise for all the inconvenience caused by this.

Needless the poverty of this response and lack of apology for not reading the email properly or for the completely wrong information given comes as little surprise. Would anyone have any suggestions re having Tesco improve their response. Links that might help, possible causes for the recent change, reboots or resettiings to try etc or something in their own experience which might help me fix the problem.

Thanks
08.03.2019 13:46 #7
https://www.bbc.co.uk/...-to-guides/outsideuk Link shows BBC Sounds is available here.
09.03.2019 23:31 #8
Thanks but I only use it for BBC Sounds, not for TV and it's worked fine before on Tesco Mobile and also works fine on Vodafone. The screenshot shows a Maya Anglelou book dramatisation unavailable but I've listened to the previous dramatisations only a few months ago on Tesco Mobile and on catchup, not streaming. Also services like TuneIn radio work fine but they've very limited catchup. It would thus seem geo-locking doesn't apply to radio. Never used a VPN as I don't use BBC catchup enough to justify cost.

Okay I thought it was for watching tv programs.
22.04.2019 13:35 #9
Hi

Just to post an update on this, the trouble disappeared a few days after my last post. And without my doing anything further to bring it back so given my inability to find an answer and Tesco's poor response I have no explanation for why it happened in the first place and why the problem then disappeared later. In any case, it has been working fine since early March and hopefully will continue.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video