Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Electric Ireland Representatives

5 hrs
Response Time
95%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 6pm
(excluding public holidays)

Nest

05.03.2019 00:33 #1
Registered User
Hi

I’m due to have a nest installed but have no thermostat in my premises. Is an existing thermostat required for installation?

Rgds
Cormac
05.03.2019 00:37 #2
Originally posted by scary
Hi

I’m due to have a nest installed but have no thermostat in my premises. Is an existing thermostat required for installation?

Rgds
Cormac


No, I had it installed 2 weeks ago, and it's definitely not a prerequisite.
I had no thermostat before Nest.
And for the record I'm not with Electric Ireland either in case anyone else is wondering.

Great system though I have to say, thoroughly recommend this.
1 thank
05.03.2019 00:39 #3
Well worth it, I am thinking of doing same or just sticking with what I used in rental.
05.03.2019 01:26 #4
Registered User
Can I ask how it was connected to your system without an existing thermostat?

Thanks

Originally posted by turbostan
No, I had it installed 2 weeks ago, and it's definitely not a prerequisite.
I had no thermostat before Nest.
And for the record I'm not with Electric Ireland either in case anyone else is wondering.

Great system though I have to say, thoroughly recommend this.
05.03.2019 01:41 #5
Originally posted by scary
Can I ask how it was connected to your system without an existing thermostat?

Thanks


Straight up to the timer.

All it does is call for heat when it goes belothe temperature set.

This then switches the live to boiler on.
1 thank
05.03.2019 03:03 #6
Registered User
Ah ok,

So just a wireless on/off switch based on a temp at current boiler timer which isn’t in a great spot for determining temp of house.

Originally posted by punisher5112
Straight up to the timer.

All it does is call for heat when it goes belothe temperature set.

This then switches the live to boiler on.
05.03.2019 07:46 #7
Originally posted by scary
Ah ok,

So just a wireless on/off switch based on a temp at current boiler timer which isn’t in a great spot for determining temp of house.


Not exactly.
The old timer is replaced by a new 'heat link' which is the new control box, and a manual on/off switch also if you like..

The thermostat is connected wirelessly to this and can be placed anywhere in the house.
Mine is in the kitchen.
1 thank
05.03.2019 08:01 #8
Moderator
The Nest doesn’t replace a thermostat in your system, it is a new install thermostat in your system. There is an ‘adaptor’ connected to your boiler which replaces your old timer, and this adapter communicates with the Nest controller wirelessly.
1 thank
05.03.2019 09:26 #9
Hi scary, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

I can see that other posters have answered your questions. The Nest is a smart thermostat .

There is a video on our website with some information on how the Nest thermostat works if you would like to take a look.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Thanks, 
Aoife
1 thank
17.03.2019 09:27 #10
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help. We availed of the Electric Ireland Nest offer and had ours installed a couple of weeks ago. All going well until last night. The heat was on for approximately an hour. Heat turned off itself. An error message appeared on the Nest thermostat saying there was no connection with the Heatlink and now there are no lights showing on the Heatlink whatsoever. We have no way of turning on any heating in our home from what I can gather. Is there anyway to override this in order have heating over the weekend until normal business resumes on Tuesday? 

Many thanks
17.03.2019 09:49 #11
Moderator
Originally posted by Elottois
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help. We availed of the Electric Ireland Nest offer and had ours installed a couple of weeks ago. All going well until last night. The heat was on for approximately an hour. Heat turned off itself. An error message appeared on the Nest thermostat saying there was no connection with the Heatlink and now there are no lights showing on the Heatlink whatsoever. We have no way of turning on any heating in our home from what I can gather. Is there anyway to override this in order have heating over the weekend until normal business resumes on Tuesday? 

Many thanks


Sometimes the controller will lose connection with the heat link, it should be back on again soon.

Is the thermostat fixed to a wall or can you move it closer to the heatlink?

When they lose connection to each other, simply pushing the big button on the heatlink will turn on the boiler (heating and hot water), which is an easy temporary fix for loss of connection issues.
17.03.2019 09:54 #12
Originally posted by AndyBoBandy
Originally posted by Elottois
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help. We availed of the Electric Ireland Nest offer and had ours installed a couple of weeks ago. All going well until last night. The heat was on for approximately an hour. Heat turned off itself. An error message appeared on the Nest thermostat saying there was no connection with the Heatlink and now there are no lights showing on the Heatlink whatsoever. We have no way of turning on any heating in our home from what I can gather. Is there anyway to override this in order have heating over the weekend until normal business resumes on Tuesday? 

Many thanks


Sometimes the controller will lose connection with the heat link, it should be back on again soon.

Is the thermostat fixed to a wall or can you move it closer to the heatlink?

When they lose connection to each other, simply pushing the big button on the heatlink will turn on the boiler (heating and hot water), which is an easy temporary fix for loss of connection issues.

Hi AndyBoBandy,

Thank you for your reply. We have tried that unfortunately with no luck. Thermostat is not fixed so we have moved it right beside the Heatlink.

There appears to be no power to the Heatlink unit itself. There are no lights appearing on the unit and when you push the centre button on the Heatlink nothing happens. 
17.03.2019 09:59 #13
Originally posted by Elottois
Hi AndyBoBandy,

Thank you for your reply. We have tried that unfortunately with no luck. Thermostat is not fixed so we have moved it right beside the Heatlink.

There appears to be no power to the Heatlink unit itself. There are no lights appearing on the unit and when you push the centre button on the Heatlink nothing happens. 


Check the MCB board, what way is the unit wired as in has a plug been removed or even at the boiler is it hard wired or plugged in.

It could be a fuse on a plug if like above or a loose connection.
17.03.2019 10:01 #14
Moderator
Originally posted by Elottois
Hi AndyBoBandy,

Thank you for your reply. We have tried that unfortunately with no luck. Thermostat is not fixed so we have moved it right beside the Heatlink.

There appears to be no power to the Heatlink unit itself. There are no lights appearing on the unit and when you push the centre button on the Heatlink nothing happens. 


Sounds like there’s no power going to the heatlonk or it’s dodgy wiring, as even when the connection goes, there should still be an orange light!

Can you check the fuse for the boiler/heat link? It should be accessible or very close to the boiler, and possibly even have a red light on it.

Do you know any electricians that can take a look at it? Or if your fairly handy yourself you could have a look at it.

I’m no electrician but I fitted our Nest myself over 2 years ago and have never had a problem with it.
Just like wiring a slightly more complicated plug
17.03.2019 10:02 #15
Moderator
Here’s my boiler fuse box, do you have something similar?

Attached Images

Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video
Remove Formatting
View source
Please Log In or Sign Up to join the discussion