Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Virgin Media Ireland Representatives

21 hrs
Response Time
88%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 12pm-3pm.

Virgin charging me 200 euro to cancel because they don't cover my new house

11.02.2019 15:20 #16
Originally posted by RFOLEY1990
Originally posted by Heres Johnny
Originally posted by katiek102010
Why is it stupid advice.  It prevents them taking the money out of the OP’s account while it is in dispute

I agree with you and did it in the past. Nothing ever came of it. Cancel the DD and move on in your life. People go on like you'll be put in prison! 

Don't want your service anymore, Grand, stop paying. Wish I could do this with my Phone!

what's stopping you? 

In fairness I do have a subsidised handset from them which my bill pays for. And they have a good over my phone number
11.02.2019 15:44 #17
You signed into a contract for a service which at the time, you could receive.

It isn't VMs fault that you are now putting yourself in a position that the above is no longer true.

Anyone who doesn't agree with that are just consumers in the same boat, so I wouldn't take much notice.

You contracted for a certain period of time and there isn't much you can legally do about that now.
2 thanks
11.02.2019 15:51 #18
Originally posted by SortingYouOut

It isn't VMs fault that you are now putting yourself in a position that the above is no longer true.

Anyone who doesn't agree with that are just consumers in the same boat, so I wouldn't take much notice.

You contracted for a certain period of time and there isn't much you can legally do about that now.

There is plenty he can do. Jesus the indignation of some keyboard warriors like. 

OP - quote section 41(2) of the Consumer Protection Act 2007 at them, in writing. If you don't get a satisfactory response from Virgin, follow up with Commreg. Happy to take a query via PM if you wish. Best of luck.
11.02.2019 15:53 #19
Originally posted by Blazer
Stupid stupid advice.

Bollocks. He's not going to be chased for €200
11.02.2019 16:01 #20
Originally posted by Captainsatnav
Originally posted by SortingYouOut

There is plenty he can do. Jesus the indignation of some keyboard warriors like. 

OP - quote section 41(2) of the Consumer Protection Act 2007 at them, in writing. If you don't get a satisfactory response from Virgin, follow up with Commreg. Happy to take a query via PM if you wish. Best of luck.

Comreg will only bounce the complaint back to Virgin Media with a response deadline in place, but that doesn't mean their stance on the matter will change.

EU law forbids a service provider from charging an Early Termination Charge, if the service cannot be provisioned at a new address but this law only covers Phone and Broadband, not TV.

Also, if the customer is within their minimum term and not just a recontract, there's nothing they can do.

Virgin Media may just credit the account to avoid hassle but they're not in the wrong here.
11.02.2019 16:23 #21
Verified representative
Originally posted by DaBaronVon
But I don't want to leave your service. I want to see out my contract. You don't cover the area within the same town in which I live that I am moving to. So I dont want to leave you. But your selective coverage means that I HAVE no other option as you do not provide service. And for that you charge me 200 euro. I don't get this reverse psychology that is being applied. I've phoned other utility providers to which I am also breaking contract and they understand that this kind of thing happens and are accommodating. This I cannot say in the least for you.

I can negate your logic too - I can provide actual evidence of my relocation. And yes you could employ a methodology to approve home ownership. The introduction of house codes and the land registry has all of the necessary information. And guess what - a load of companies and service providers use it! 

Look I'm not saying this is awkward and annoying for everyone, you losing a customer early and me losing your service, but the strict penalty being applied is exorbitant and punitive! 

Totally understand where you're coming from DaBaronVon, and if at all possible we would transfer the services to your new home without any contract implications but in some circumstances that isn't an option.

To "write off" or "forget" the in contract cancellation fee under these circumstances would undermine every single contract in place right now and would also be quite frustrating for anyone who had paid their in contract cancellation fee previously. 

If you need more info we go over these exact circumstances under section 2.6 of our terms & conditions which are agreed to by each customer creating an account.

I understand this isn't the answer you wanted, while it won't change the current situation - I will make sure your experience is heard and perhaps our teams can come up with a better alternative for future iterations of our contract terms.

Thanks
11.02.2019 16:35 #22
I got as far as " Virgin charging me 200 euro"
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list