Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Virgin Media Ireland Representatives

52 hrs
Response Time
98%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 12pm-3pm.

2 questions re modem mode

09.01.2019 08:08 #1
Hi,
2 wee questions re the hub3 in modem mode... I've requested this but I'm wondering.

1. do you lose the phone in this mode?
2. in router mode i believe the ip address is ipv6, but to get modem mode you need to change this to ipv4? why? Is this a technical issue with the modem?

Thanks
09.01.2019 12:42 #2
Verified representative
Originally posted by tigger1962
Hi,
2 wee questions re the hub3 in modem mode... I've requested this but I'm wondering.

1. do you lose the phone in this mode?
2. in router mode i believe the ip address is ipv6, but to get modem mode you need to change this to ipv4? why? Is this a technical issue with the modem?

Thanks

Hi tigger1962,

If you have the hub modem then enabling modem mode won't affect the telephone line but bear in mind - we don't provide support for this. We can only ever troubleshoot modem based services when it's in the default config.

In the standard config your connection would be supplied an IPv6 DS Lite address. By its definition it adapts traffic to run between native IPv4 addresses and your connection. It wouldn't be possible to operate an IPv6 DS Lite address while in modem mode - hence why the option isn't available in that case.

Thanks
09.01.2019 16:43 #3
Hi,
ok part one answered... not sure about your answer in part 2. My understanding of ipv6 dslite suggestes that is encapsulates ipv4 addresses to work in an ipv6 network. so does the modem only work in ipv4? I think i need to read up more on the compal modem... my current routers are all ipv6 capable so it would appear to me the bottleneck is the modem itself having to convert the ipv6 to ipv4?
10.01.2019 17:42 #4
If you want modem mode option you must ask virgin to put you on a Ipv4 address

Modem mode will only be available if the virgin hub is on a Ipv4 address

When virgin reply that they have put you on a Ipv4 address reboot the hub
You may also need to do a pin hole factory reset on the hub to get modem mode show
1 thank
10.01.2019 18:00 #5
thanks it was more my professional curiosity than anything... I have it in modem mode already.. but was just puzzled why it had to go to ipv4 and opposed to ipv6...just wondering if it was a technical issue with the modem or some other reason... 
11.01.2019 12:56 #6
Verified representative
Hi,
ok part one answered... not sure about your answer in part 2. My understanding of ipv6 dslite suggestes that is encapsulates ipv4 addresses to work in an ipv6 network. so does the modem only work in ipv4? I think i need to read up more on the compal modem... my current routers are all ipv6 capable so it would appear to me the bottleneck is the modem itself having to convert the ipv6 to ipv4?

The modem itself has no limitation on working with native IPv6 however we don't operate this on our network, all connections would either be native IPv4 or IPv6 DS Lite.

If you need any more info just let us know.

Thanks
1 thank
11.01.2019 13:49 #7
Nope Brian... 
as I said It was professional curiosity!
Its working away now. Hopefully no issues "going Forward " :p
11.01.2019 13:50 #8
Verified representative
Nope Brian... 
as I said It was professional curiosity!
Its working away now. Hopefully no issues "going Forward " :p

We'll be here if you need us :-) 
11.01.2019 18:42 #9
I think i need to read up more on the compal modem... 

Yeah, like the class action lawsuits over it (see Arris and Comcast).
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon