Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

9 hrs
Response Time
96%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

Credit Limit Question

07.01.2019 15:46 #1
Hello,

I am hoping you can help me. My latest bill has an additional data charge of €252, which I now know is because I went over on my data allowance. I have tried to query this by telephone (I have been unable to get through), by live chat (which has been disabled) and most recently by emailing the customer care email address (to which I got a response that made absolutely no sense and indicated that my email was not read at all).

By way of background, I was informed by text on 15th December that I had reached 80% of my credit limit and called the numbers provided in the text. After waiting for 20 minutes on hold, I followed the prompt which told me I could find out all the information I needed on the Tesco mobile website. After trying the live chat, which wasn’t operational, I found information on the Tesco website which indicated that the credit limit was €50 in addition to my monthly allowance.

A short while later on the 15th of December, I was informed by text that my account was suspended as I had reached 100% of my credit allowance. After trying to get a hold of a customer service operative on a number of occasions I finally got through to someone on the Monday 17th of December who restored service on my account and informed me that my credit limit was in fact €250. I was told that the credit limit is raised from €50 to €250 where the first three bills are paid on time and that there is no obligation on Tesco to inform customers of this. Needless to say, I was seething when I learned of this but was advised to wait until I got my bill to take this up further. I fully accept that it was my fault that I neglected to turn on the wifi on my phone when streaming live sport but I cannot accept this bill and I simply am not in a position to fork out €250 extra. My wife is on unpaid maternity leave and I have crèche fees and a mortgage that I can only just about pay. The very reason I opted for Tesco mobile in the first place was that it was the cheapest option.

While I have no doubt these additional charges are within the rules and – I admit – I haven’t taken the time to review the terms and conditions that I originally agreed to, I really don't think it is fair that these stealth charges should be imposed. I have looked back at previous bills and I have never come close to using up my full data allowance (for most bills my usage has been approximately 10% of the allowance).

I am asking that Tesco look at this again in light of the above.

Many thanks in advance.

Account number - CONTR0027776127
07.01.2019 16:28 #2
Hi ganone ,

Thanks for reaching out to us in regards to this.

Please send us a private message in here with your phone number, full name, home address and mother's name. We'll certainly check the account and assist further with your query.

Kind Regards,

Ileana.
07.01.2019 16:39 #3
Seems to be a good old scam they have on the go. I’ve started the complaint procedure to ofcom. I suggest you do the same. When I signed up my credit limit was €50 , Tesco changed it to €250 without telling me & somehow my data went over this month, I usually only ever use half my allowance so I don’t ever check what I used day to day & never worried because I assumed my limit was €50 over. Now this month in hit with €200 + for going over data by 400mb. It’s shameful on Tesco’s behalf..
08.01.2019 00:23 #4
Originally posted by LarryBarry
Seems to be a good old scam they have on the go. I’ve started the complaint procedure to ofcom. I suggest you do the same. When I signed up my credit limit was €50 , Tesco changed it to €250 without telling me & somehow my data went over this month, I usually only ever use half my allowance so I don’t ever check what I used day to day & never worried because I assumed my limit was €50 over. Now this month in hit with €200 + for going over data by 400mb. It’s shameful on Tesco’s behalf..

I do hope you contacted Comreg as Ofcom is for the UK. The credit limit with Tesco is a pure scam, that’s how they make their money.
08.01.2019 12:48 #5
Hi LarryBarry,

We have responded to your private message and provided more information in regards to credit limit.

Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance with this query.

Regards,

Antun
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image