Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Sky Ireland Representatives

8 hrs
Response Time
100%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 1pm-5pm

Sky Q - Internet Connection Keeps Dropping

11.11.2018 22:43 #1
Registered User
My Sky Q box is connected to the Vodafone Siro WiFi in the house.


It works perfectly once its connected... Which appears to be about 50% off the time. It routinely and inexplicably drops connection all the time. I need to go back to settings and reset network connection. This might be okay if there was a "remember my password" function, but there's not.

I've seen on Sky forums that this isn't an uncommon problem. A suggestion I saw was change IP settings from automatic to manual, which I tried. It didn't help.

Any suggestions on what causes this or how to fix it... Its quite frustrating.
12.11.2018 13:21 #2
Verified representative
Originally posted by Squall Leonhart
My Sky Q box is connected to the Vodafone Siro WiFi in the house.


It works perfectly once its connected... Which appears to be about 50% off the time. It routinely and inexplicably drops connection all the time. I need to go back to settings and reset network connection. This might be okay if there was a "remember my password" function, but there's not.

I've seen on Sky forums that this isn't an uncommon problem. A suggestion I saw was change IP settings from automatic to manual, which I tried. It didn't help.

Any suggestions on what causes this or how to fix it... Its quite frustrating.


Hi Squall Leonhart,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your Sky Q box. If you send a PM to Sky Ireland: Reps with your name, contact details and a suitable time you will be available to take a call we will look into getting this fixed for you.

Kind regards,

Lynn
04.02.2019 22:13 #3
Just wondering if this was ever resolved ? Having a similar issue.
05.02.2019 08:31 #4
Originally posted by Memali123
Just wondering if this was ever resolved ? Having a similar issue.



Make sure that all boxes have their software up to date. And see how it goes!
1 thank
05.02.2019 13:00 #5
Verified representative
Originally posted by Memali123
Just wondering if this was ever resolved ? Having a similar issue.



Hi Memali123,

Thanks for getting in touch.

As Mister Gooey has advised first of all make sure that all the boxes have the most up to date software. If the issue persists please let us know.

Thanks,

Lynn
05.02.2019 15:48 #6
Registered User
Originally posted by Sky Ireland: Lynn
Hi Memali123,

Thanks for getting in touch.

As Mister Gooey has advised first of all make sure that all the boxes have the most up to date software. If the issue persists please let us know.

Thanks,

Lynn


How does one do that?
05.02.2019 16:06 #7
Verified representative
Originally posted by Squall Leonhart


How does one do that?



Hi Squall Leonhart,

Thank you for your post.

There is some steps to update the software on your Sky boxes and these can be found here https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/updating-sky-box/updating-sky-box-software.

Kind regards,

Lynn
1 thank
08.02.2019 21:01 #8
Originally posted by Sky Ireland: Lynn
Hi Memali123,

Thanks for getting in touch.

As Mister Gooey has advised first of all make sure that all the boxes have the most up to date software. If the issue persists please let us know.

Thanks,

Lynn


Yes still having the same problem after I did software upgrade.
11.02.2019 11:01 #9
Registered User
Switch over to using the ethernet port on the back of the SKY Q box connected directly to your router if you can, a lot more stable and no messing around with wifi networks - will also give much better download performance.
Have been using this setup with SIRO for the last 18 months without any issues.
11.02.2019 13:01 #10
Hi Memali123,

Thank you for your reply, you could for sure try what talla said to do as this should prevent any wireless connectivity issues.

If this is not possible for you, could you send Sky Ireland: Reps a PM with your full name and contact number so I can look into this for you further.

Please note if you send a PM in after 5PM it will be picked up the next working day.

Hope this helps,

Seanagh :)
11.02.2019 20:44 #11
Not to hijack someone else’s thread but I am a similar problem. I recently had sky installed. I have a 2tb sky q box in a front sitting room with my router in the hall area. I have a mini box in a back sitting room. My house is quite long so I have a WiFi extender about half way down the hall. Practically every evening while watching on the mini box, the signal cuts out, i get a blue screen and the message ‘you can’t watch tv at the moment there is a connectivity problem’. It appears that it might be a problem with the extender as the WiFi doesn’t work on my iPad either when this happens. The signal is there as I can WiFi ‘bars’ on my screen but I can’t connect to the internet. It usually comes back after about 5 minutes .
12.02.2019 13:05 #12
Originally posted by tombren
Not to hijack someone else’s thread but I am a similar problem. I recently had sky installed. I have a 2tb sky q box in a front sitting room with my router in the hall area. I have a mini box in a back sitting room. My house is quite long so I have a WiFi extender about half way down the hall. Practically every evening while watching on the mini box, the signal cuts out, i get a blue screen and the message ‘you can’t watch tv at the moment there is a connectivity problem’. It appears that it might be a problem with the extender as the WiFi doesn’t work on my iPad either when this happens. The signal is there as I can WiFi ‘bars’ on my screen but I can’t connect to the internet. It usually comes back after about 5 minutes .

Hey tombren,

Thanks for getting in touch. Is the issue just with your Sky Box losing connection or is this happening with other devices too? If it is just your Sky box then we might send an engineer out to leave one of our own Sky Q boosters. There is no charge for this.

Just pop over a PM to Sky Ireland: Reps with your name, telephone number and a suitable time you can take a call.

Thanks,
Jenny
12.02.2019 14:06 #13
Originally posted by Sky Ireland: Jennifer
Originally posted by tombren
Not to hijack someone else’s thread but I am a similar problem. I recently had sky installed. I have a 2tb sky q box in a front sitting room with my router in the hall area. I have a mini box in a back sitting room. My house is quite long so I have a WiFi extender about half way down the hall. Practically every evening while watching on the mini box, the signal cuts out, i get a blue screen and the message ‘you can’t watch tv at the moment there is a connectivity problem’. It appears that it might be a problem with the extender as the WiFi doesn’t work on my iPad either when this happens. The signal is there as I can WiFi ‘bars’ on my screen but I can’t connect to the internet. It usually comes back after about 5 minutes .

Hey tombren,

Thanks for getting in touch. Is the issue just with your Sky Box losing connection or is this happening with other devices too? If it is just your Sky box then we might send an engineer out to leave one of our own Sky Q boosters. There is no charge for this.

Just pop over a PM to Sky Ireland: Reps with your name, telephone number and a suitable time you can take a call.

Thanks,
Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your response. All devices connected to the network through the extender/booster are losing connection. I actually already have a Sky Q booster installed.
12.02.2019 15:15 #14
Originally posted by tombren
Originally posted by Sky Ireland: Jennifer
Originally posted by tombren
Not to hijack someone else’s thread but I am a similar problem. I recently had sky installed. I have a 2tb sky q box in a front sitting room with my router in the hall area. I have a mini box in a back sitting room. My house is quite long so I have a WiFi extender about half way down the hall. Practically every evening while watching on the mini box, the signal cuts out, i get a blue screen and the message ‘you can’t watch tv at the moment there is a connectivity problem’. It appears that it might be a problem with the extender as the WiFi doesn’t work on my iPad either when this happens. The signal is there as I can WiFi ‘bars’ on my screen but I can’t connect to the internet. It usually comes back after about 5 minutes .

Hey tombren,

Thanks for getting in touch. Is the issue just with your Sky Box losing connection or is this happening with other devices too? If it is just your Sky box then we might send an engineer out to leave one of our own Sky Q boosters. There is no charge for this.

Just pop over a PM to Sky Ireland: Reps with your name, telephone number and a suitable time you can take a call.

Thanks,
Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your response. All devices connected to the network through the extender/booster are losing connection. I actually already have a Sky Q booster installed.

Hi tombren,

Ah I see. I can appreciate that must be annoying.  If you want to send in your details we'll chase it up for you.

Thanks,
Jenny
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video
Remove Formatting
View source
Please Log In or Sign Up to join the discussion