Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Three Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday-Friday: 10am-6pm

Are the electric scooters legal in Ireland or are still in a grey area?

04.11.2018 16:58 #1
Hi!
Three has started selling electric scooters (Xiaomi m365). But I’m wondering is this legal to ride in Ireland? 
04.11.2018 17:03 #2
A wholly unreasonable man
Originally posted by judavigo
Hi!
Three has started selling electric scooters (Xiaomi m365). But I’m wondering is this legal to ride in Ireland? 

Depends if they are motor assisted or fully motorised, if the latter I presume they require insurance, tax and registration
04.11.2018 17:17 #3
Originally posted by CramCycle
Originally posted by judavigo
Hi!
Three has started selling electric scooters (Xiaomi m365). But I’m wondering is this legal to ride in Ireland? 

Depends if they are motor assisted or fully motorised, if the latter I presume they require insurance, tax and registration

I suppose this is motor-assisted because you need to gain some speed and then the motor starts working but as soon it starts it will continue working without need to push more. 
1 thank
04.11.2018 18:40 #4
Registered User

The launch represents a stepping up of electric scooter sales in Ireland, despite legal and regulatory challenges. Under Irish law, many electric scooters are regarded in a similar category as motorbikes, meaning that they must be taxed and insured, with a driver's licence required.
However, Xiaomi's Mi Electric Scooter requires a manual push start like an electric bicycle. Ebikes are not required to be taxed and insured, nor do they require a driver's licence.


https://www.independen...-tieup-37479634.html
05.11.2018 14:47 #5
Hi All

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) considers that an electric scooter may be a mechanically propelled vehicle which if in a public place is subject to all of the regulatory controls applying to other vehicles which include that it be roadworthy, registered, taxed and insured. A user of an electric scooter must hold an appropriate driving licence and a crash helmet. It is illegal for a person under the age of 16 to use a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place.

You are advised to consult the following for further information regarding electric scooters  here

Thanks
05.11.2018 20:48 #6
What about the insurance? where I will get an insurance for these vehicles? Thanks!
05.11.2018 21:55 #7
Registered User


Have you checked that the indo was correct before you quoted them. Because they weren't.

The media are wrong so often. How anyone can blindly accept what they publish without checking it.
06.11.2018 10:34 #8
Originally posted by beauf


Have you checked that the indo was correct before you quoted them.  Because they weren't.

The media are wrong so often. How anyone can blindly accept what they publish without checking it.

So what was wrong?
06.11.2018 10:36 #9
Originally posted by Three: Mairead
Hi All

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) considers that an electric scooter may be a mechanically propelled vehicle which if in a public place is subject to all of the regulatory controls applying to other vehicles which include that it be roadworthy, registered, taxed and insured. A user of an electric scooter must hold an appropriate driving licence and a crash helmet. It is illegal for a person under the age of 16 to use a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place.

You are advised to consult the following for further information regarding electric scooters  here

Thanks


RSA sucking the fun out of everything as per usual. Won't be bothering with them so.
06.11.2018 10:50 #10
Registered User
Originally posted by my3cents
Originally posted by beauf


Have you checked that the indo was correct before you quoted them.  Because they weren't.

The media are wrong so often. How anyone can blindly accept what they publish without checking it.

So what was wrong?

A scooter does not start like an eBike. Even if it did, that still would not make them similar. 
They are implying a Scooter is just like a eBike in Law. It isn't. At least not currently. 
What defines an eBike is described in law. 
2 thanks
06.11.2018 18:39 #11
Registered User
Originally posted by judavigo
What about the insurance? where I will get an insurance for these vehicles? Thanks!

You wont. And you won't tax em. Or get an engineering cert for them.

For use on private land only. 
06.11.2018 19:40 #12
Registered User
I'm probably not alone in day dreaming about how I can get to work off road or on cycle paths. I can do it about 65% of the way this far.

I've cycled the route but it will have to be different on a scooter.
1 thank
29.12.2018 15:22 #13
Registered User
Indo today.. Illegal . Adrian Weckler: Eight tech trends to watch out for in 2019

https://www.independen...n-2019-37645870.html
1 thank
02.01.2019 21:29 #14
I have ordered one of these... At first I was thinking about xiaomi scooter. It looks cool, but you get tyre puncture often and it's really hard to change the tube. Also the power goes down rapidly when the battery is under 50%. So forget about going up the hill when the battery is low. I was thinking using it to go to and from the Luas. But then I thought that maybe, I could skip the Luas all together and just scoot all they way to work. And started to look for something more powerful, because from city centre to stepaside, it's about 10 km up the hill. I wanted cool design like xiaomi, more power, suspension and bigger wheels so the broken road and potholes wouldn't be an issue. And to keep the weight of the scooter under 20 Kg. Finally I found a perfect scooter – Dualtron Spider. It's much more expensive but it will last and I will feel much safer on it. I contacted about 10 different insurance companies, but non of them would help me with quote. I'll keep trying to get a quote and to make my commute as legal as possible. Ideal scenario would be, if the government allowed electric scooters in cycling lane if they don't go faster then 50 km/h. 
02.01.2019 22:16 #15
Registered User
Originally posted by Martynet
... Ideal scenario would be, if the government allowed electric scooters in cycling lane if they don't go faster then 50 km/h. 


.. 50 would make them faster than car limit in many places. Which seems illogical.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video
Remove Formatting
View source
Please Log In or Sign Up to join the discussion