Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Virgin Media Ireland Representatives

28 hrs
Response Time
97%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 12pm-3pm.

Another price rise!

08.10.2018 15:42 #1
Just received a notification email from VM regarding a €3.50 price in January.
I've been considering a switch away for quite a while and now that FTTH is available in my area I will be leaving.
I can get higher speeds at 50% of the price from a whole range of providers.
VM are constantly pushing prices without any associated speed or service improvement.

There's absolutely no incentive to stay or continue as a customer
16 thanks
08.10.2018 16:14 #2
I'm closing my account over this.  There is zero incentive to stay with them. 
8 thanks
08.10.2018 16:17 #3
I am off as well.
4 thanks
08.10.2018 16:21 #4
Originally posted by banie01
I've been considering a switch away for quite a while and now that FTTH is available in my area I will be leaving.
VM are constantly pushing prices without any associated speed or service improvement.

What's FTTH?  Not happy with the price increase either but in Dublin 8, Virgin have the fastest speeds unfortunately.
08.10.2018 16:23 #5
Originally posted by Peig Sayers

What's FTTH?  Not happy with the price increase either but in Dublin 8, Virgin have the fastest speeds unfortunately.

FTTH = Fibre To The Home.
2 thanks
08.10.2018 16:29 #6

Fastest does not always equal best.
FTTH is Fibre to the Home, it allows 1gbps speed.
As it stands and I say this as someone using the 360mb virgin package at the moment and with a fairly broad IT background, the stability of a connection in terms of ping, jitter and hops is far more important than the headline speed.
For video streaming, online gaming or online services those factors will have much more of an impact on the "normal" user.

VM have great headline speed yes, but in normal use the difference between the 360mb Docsis currently on offer and a FTTC offering of 80mbps is negligible in real terms.
3 thanks
08.10.2018 17:07 #7

As it stands and I say this as someone using the 360mb virgin package at the moment and with a fairly broad IT background, the stability of a connection in terms of ping, jitter and hops is far more important than the headline speed.
For video streaming, online gaming or online services those factors will have much more of an impact on the "normal" user.

VM have great headline speed yes, but in normal use the difference between the 360mb Docsis currently on offer and a FTTC offering of 80mbps is negligible in real terms.

Thanks.  Was on to Sky a few months ago but they said they couldn't compare to Virgin.  On the 250mb package with home phone.  Would hate to go backwards by switching but if it didn't impact too much I wouldn't mind if I could save some money.  We just use it for Netflix and light internet use, no gamers.  Would I be mad to consider another provider?
08.10.2018 17:25 #8

Thanks.  Was on to Sky a few months ago but they said they couldn't compare to Virgin.  On the 250mb package with home phone.  Would hate to go backwards by switching but if it didn't impact too much I wouldn't mind if I could save some money.  We just use it for Netflix and light internet use, no gamers.  Would I be mad to consider another provider?

Not at all.
Netflix HD will stream perfectly well on a stable 5mb connection. Obviously faster is better but don't fall for headline speed hype.

For the use you are describing at home, ie basic streaming and internet use VDSL or FTTC will suit you fine and you will notice absolutely no difference at all on a VDSL/FTTC provider.

I am a heavy user, between work and streaming I use 1TB of data minimum a month.
Have 2 teenagers in the house, between gaming, NAS, streaming and smarthome tech I run @32 devices on my network and I'm leaving VM to switch to an 80mb FTTC service.
I'll experience no noticeable impact in anything other than my upload speeds.
I've sent my cancellation email just a few minutes ago and its sayonara VM!
3 thanks
08.10.2018 17:27 #9
What does the email/notification say this time?

They have increased every year since 2011:
https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/101596584
2 thanks
08.10.2018 17:33 #10
Originally posted by Damo2k
What does the email/notification say this time?

They have increased every year since 2011:
https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/101596584

Not even a bit of fluff about improved service, just here ya go we are upping the prices!

Hello xxxxx
The price of your broadband is going up in 2019
From January 2019 the price of your package will increase by €3.50 a month. This change takes effect for you on January 7th 2019, your first bill date of the yearWhat happens next?
We really hope that you’ll continue to enjoy your Virgin Media package, however, you can change or cancel your service by giving us 30 days notice. You can do this without penalty any time before January 7th 2019. Simply call us on 1908 and a member of our team will be happy to help you. The information in this communication is correct as of August 20th 2018 so if you have made any changes to your account since this date, this may no longer be relevant for you. 

To find out more simply visit 
08.10.2018 18:43 #11

Great I checked my address and FTTH is currently not available at my address.
08.10.2018 19:30 #12
Originally posted by Snake Plisken
Great I checked my address and FTTH is currently not available at my address.

It's not available at my own either, but I will get FTTC so I've already cancelled and initiated the port.
08.10.2018 19:36 #13
So its close to an extra 30 euros per month if you add up 8 years increases.

Disgraceful behaviour Virgin Media.,

Only for I have no other options (YET) other than ****ty Eir crap broadband Id also be leaving you for another supplier.

Disgraceful.

Can comreg not get involved with this price gouging??
6 thanks
08.10.2018 19:48 #14
It's not available at my own either, but I will get FTTC so I've already cancelled and initiated the port.

But have you checked speeds and quaility with Neighbours? How far are you from the cabinet?
08.10.2018 19:55 #15
Originally posted by Snake Plisken
But have you checked speeds and quaility with Neighbours? How far are you from the cabinet?

Yep, and @80mtrs from the cabinet.
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image