Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

31 hrs
Response Time
100%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

New 4G plan a scam?

04.09.2018 12:11 #31
Hi Emmersonn,

That's no problem at all. Send Tesco Mobile: Reps a PM with your details so we can check that for you.

Thanks,
Shane
1 thank
04.09.2018 13:29 #32
P.M. sent
06.09.2018 15:56 #33
Registered User
I talked to Comreg and all they said to me is that people have to read T&C first and that is not false ad. I thankfully did not change my plan, I knew there is something stinky in T&C and fount it too, no one will give you a fiver, 5GB and G4 for nothing :o The conclusion... it's a customer obligation to read it all
07.09.2018 15:40 #34
I got the 4g informational text today, and after clicking the url and reading the details I immediately became suspicious that this was a significantly worse deal the old plan since it's effectively a bill pay (a non-fixed term of sorts) as once topped up the service lives and dies within the 28 days and you can no longer keep your credit.

After reading this thread i just called Tesco Mobile customer support and, surprisingly, I have been told that they are NOT allowed to switch customers automatically to the new plan, neither immediately nor in their next topup and that in order to be switched, customers need to ask for it explicitly. So I will therefore stay in the old plan.

This was surprising because it is in radical opposition to what I read here. Can a Tesco Mobile Representative here please confirm what I have just been told by Tesco Mobile Customer Support?

Thanks
07.09.2018 16:28 #35
Hi davidgdlt,

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes, that is correct. We wouldn't automatically change your plan. This has to be requested by you through text or by contacting our customer care. If you are happy with your current plan there is no issue with you staying on it.

If you have any further queries regarding your account you can always send us a PM here Tesco Mobile: Reps.

Thanks,
Shane
2 thanks
14.09.2018 13:07 #36
Thanks for the confirmation Shane, that is good to hear. I am not interested in the new plan at all, and a forced migration would have meant switching which is something I'd rather not do. All is good then.
14.09.2018 16:49 #37
Verified representative
Hi davidgdlt,

Glad this got cleared up. Have a good weekend!

Cheers,
Luke
25.11.2018 10:39 #38
Registered User
It's a shame I'm being told I am not allowed to switch back to the legacy plan and as such I will have to look for another provider. Not good because I've been a Tesco mobile customer for nearly a decade now.
25.11.2018 12:00 #39
Registered User
This post...
https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/107735214
...contains the notification text in August

The part to focus on is:
If you would like to pre-register for 4G please reply to this message with the word JOIN


It was about 2 weeks later before the exact details were available.

So customers were given the option of opting in before knowing the terms of the new plan.

Check if your notification text has that in it, could be grounds for a complaint.
1 thank
27.11.2018 10:49 #40
Verified representative
Originally posted by Blackdragon72
It's a shame I'm being told I am not allowed to switch back to the legacy plan and as such I will have to look for another provider. Not good because I've been a Tesco mobile customer for nearly a decade now.

Hi blackdragon72,

We're sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately the old offer is now a legacy offer and we would no longer be able to switch customers to this.

Just to clarify on the Simply Prepay offer; when you top-up by €15, you don't keep the €15 credit. Instead, we give you free calls to all mobiles and landlines in Ireland, free texts to other Tesco Mobile customers, 15Gb of 4G capable data and €5 bonus credit. The bonus credit can be used just like normal credit but it would expire in 28 days.

If you wish to send text messages to other networks on the new offer without being charged 15c per SMS, we have introduced a new €5 text bundle for 100 texts which you can purchase using the €5 bonus credit. You can text the word: Texts to 17208 to buy this bundle. Full details about this bundle can be seen here.

Thanks,
Luke
23.12.2018 10:45 #41
Registered User
Yeah a scam !

And No way back according to Customer Care ! 
I am a Tesco mobile customer since near the beginning, 
I was one of the first Tesco Mobile Sales Reps. 
One of the pitches was "We will never take your credit" . 
Silly me expected this to be still true and didn't read the T&C's 
I expected that the €5 extra bonus credit was "€5 extra bonus credit".
I guess the advert  "We will take your non expiring €15 credit and give you €5 credit that expires" wouldn't have attracted many people. 

In my opinion this was a misleading SMS and I am sickened that I was duped by TMI. 
The sad reality is there is no really better deal on the market at present, 
Lyca are offering 30 day plan with 25Gb of data with unlimited calls and texts . 
I am considering this move, 
I look after 5 mobiles in our house and hate the thought of moving everybody. (credit expiring at different times)...
I am hoping that Tesco will see the error in their ways or one of the other operators will give a better deal in Jan. 

Shame on you Tesco Mobile, Shame on me for trusting Tesco Mobile !
2 thanks
09.01.2019 14:19 #42
Registered User
I bought a phone and tesco sim + 15 credit for my nephew for xmas.  He topped it up and - to my big surprise - 15+5 was accounted as 5 only balance! He doesn't even have €15 credit on his account! 


I basically paid for €15 for "free" bandwidth, "free" calls and "free" (tesco only) texts, but there is no money on the account (besides that ridiculous €5 bonus).  Balance shows €5 even though I physically paid €15 in real money and my balance have not topped up to that amount. What the heck is going on? 


I honestly feel robbed :(
10.01.2019 23:37 #43
Registered User
Originally posted by roxana
I bought a phone and tesco sim + 15 credit for my nephew for xmas.  He topped it up and - to my big surprise - 15+5 was accounted as 5 only balance! He doesn't even have €15 credit on his account! 


I basically paid for €15 for "free" bandwidth, "free" calls and "free" (tesco only) texts, but there is no money on the account (besides that ridiculous €5 bonus).  Balance shows €5 even though I physically paid €15 in real money and my balance have not topped up to that amount. What the heck is going on? 


I honestly feel robbed :(

How do you feel robbed? If you top up with Vodaphone by 20 Euro, you get unlimited calls and texts and 1GB of data and you don’t keep the 20 euro, EIR are exactly the same, 3 are the only ones that let you keep your top up but charge crazy prices to make a call to a non 3 number. So really the Tesco Pre pay plan is about the cheapest one out there and it’s brilliant value, the €15 is paying for the plan you’re on, so again how were you robbed?
11.01.2019 16:26 #44
Registered User
Originally posted by 200motels
How do you feel robbed?  If you top up with Vodaphone by 20 Euro, you get unlimited calls and texts and 1GB of data and you don’t keep the 20 euro, EIR are exactly the same, 3 are the only ones that let you keep your top up but charge crazy prices to make a call to a non 3 number.  So really the Tesco Pre pay plan is about the cheapest one out there and it’s brilliant value, the €15 is paying for the plan you’re on, so again how were you robbed?

I appreciate your point of view, I was never in eir or vodafone so I don't know how they operate, but this tesco new policy whatever, is weird.  

I do not want to keep my credit, but have it on my account for the next 28 days (as I paid for it, not lend it).  If I use that €5 bonus credit - let's say as a charity donation - I end up having €0 on my account.  How is that fair?  I physically just bought €15 top up.. so what if want to text someone outside tesco mobile?  I simply can't.  All I'm saying is that I suppose to have €15 credit on my account and I don't, it doesn't have to last after 28 days, but I still should have it on my account.  After topping up for €15 the account balance is €5 (once again, "bonus credit").
Simple math: €15 + €5 = €20
Tesco's math: €15 + €5 = €5 :rolleyes:
13.01.2019 17:19 #45
Originally posted by roxana

I appreciate your point of view, I was never in eir or vodafone so I don't know how they operate, but this tesco new policy whatever, is weird.

I do not want to keep my credit, but have it on my account for the next 28 days (as I paid for it, not lend it). If I use that €5 bonus credit - let's say as a charity donation - I end up having €0 on my account. How is that fair? I physically just bought €15 top up.. so what if want to text someone outside tesco mobile? I simply can't. All I'm saying is that I suppose to have€15 credit on my account and I don't, it doesn't have to last after 28 days, but I still should have it on my account. After topping up for €15 the account balance is €5 (once again, "bonus credit").
Simple math: €15 + €5 = €20
Tesco's math: €15 + €5 = €5 :rolleyes:

This has been "done to death" on the forum !

It is NOT credit, you are simply buying a service in advance for €15, ie. Unlimited calls, 15GB of data and TM to TM texts which can/must be used within the following 28 days, simple as.

Now having said that TM in their infinite wisdom have decided to gift you €5 "credit" , which also must be used within the said 28 days. You may purchase an "add-on" with this €5 or let it expire, the choice is yours.

It really is a simple plan, you are in effect, buying a bundle. I fail to see how it could be explained any clearer. But for some reason people still want to look at it as an old (retro/vintage) PAYG plan in that you top-up by X and then draw down on that as you make calls/texts etc. and still be able to "see" their X minus usage balance count down.

If you still feel "robbed" then check your call and data balances after you "top-up" (in essence, purchase a bundle) by €15 and see where your money has gone.

And for good measure I ALSO will roll eyes . :rolleyes:
Last edited by Sparkrite: 13.01.2019 at 18:01.
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video
Remove Formatting
View source
Please Log In or Sign Up to join the discussion