Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

17 hrs
Response Time
82%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

New 4G plan a scam?

31.08.2018 09:32 #1
So basically this new plan is just a way to ensure as much money as possible is extracted, yes? I pay for 6 Tesco Mobile phones in my house and try to do a 2 month cycle with €15 credit in month 1 then using €10 of the remaining credit to buy data for month 2. With this new plan, am I right in thinking that instead of getting an additional "bonus" €5 on top of the €15 credit, instead you're taking the €15 so I'll only have €5 left - not enough to buy the data topup - and then taking that €5 after 28 days anyway?!

Can I get moved back to my old plan? Because it sounds to me that you're misinforming you're customers.
2 thanks
31.08.2018 12:29 #2
Verified representative
Hi p15574,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Just to clarify on the offer, the new €15 Simply Prepay plan continues to give you free calls to all mobiles and landlines in Ireland and has 15GB of 4G capable data, that’s 5GB more than what you have at the moment. 

In addition to the extra data the new plan also has €5 bonus credit, this is to be used within 28 days and can be used for texts and or international call or for calls and or data if you exceed your allowances on the new plan.  Your existing plan does not have 4G and it has only 10gb of data however it does give you €15 of top credit that does not expire.

To answer your question, yes on the new offer, you don't keep the €15 credit but we give you €5 Bonus Credit which will last for 28 days. You will keep any existing credit you currently have on the old offer until you use it up or it expires in about 2 years.

Thanks,
Luke
31.08.2018 12:34 #3
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Luke
Hi p15574,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Just to clarify on the offer, the new €15 Simply Prepay plan continues to give you free calls to all mobiles and landlines in Ireland and has 15GB of 4G capable data, that’s 5GB more than what you have at the moment. 

In addition to the extra data the new plan also has €5 bonus credit, this is to be used within 28 days and can be used for texts and or international call or for calls and or data if you exceed your allowances on the new plan.  Your existing plan does not have 4G and it has only 10gb of data however it does give you €15 of top credit that does not expire.

To answer your question, yes on the new offer, you don't keep the €15 credit but we give you €5 Bonus Credit which will last for 28 days. You will keep any existing credit you currently have on the old offer until you use it up or it expires in about 2 years.

Thanks,
Luke

But can I move back to my old plan?
31.08.2018 13:39 #4
Verified representative
Hi p15574,

No, unfortunately we would not be able to move you back to a legacy offer.

Thanks,
Luke
31.08.2018 14:28 #5
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Luke
Hi p15574,

No, unfortunately we would not be able to move you back to a legacy offer.

Thanks,
Luke

Then I've been conned. I wonder what Comreg would think of this scam?
4 thanks
31.08.2018 14:51 #6
Its a con, you get the impression that when you switch you have the same facility as the old plan, and this is even more deliberate when it says you keep your old credit. I think TESCO want to close down prepay and this scheme will go along way in achieving that.

Why would anyone in their right mind, switch from a plan that carries over the 15 credit to a plan that costs 15 each month with no carry over, all for an extra 5gb of data.  In a word.. unbelievable.  

COMREG wont be happy with this roll out.
3 thanks
31.08.2018 15:19 #7
Case opened with Comreg. If anyone else wants to add their voice, you can do so here.
4 thanks
31.08.2018 15:36 #8
Originally posted by swoofer
Its a con, you get the impression that when you switch you have the same facility as the old plan, and this is even more deliberate when it says you keep your old credit. I think TESCO want to close down prepay and this scheme will go along way in achieving that.

Why would anyone in their right mind, switch from a plan that carries over the 15 credit to a plan that costs 15 each month with no carry over, all for an extra 5gb of data.  In a word.. unbelievable.  

COMREG wont be happy with this roll out.

Because the speeds are way faster and It's on a better network. It's still €15 / 28 days, with an extra 5GB data. I don't know why you'd want to extend your plan by buying add-on's as you'd only get a few minutes of calls for the next 28 days anyway with the €5 left if you buy a 5GB booster. 

€15 for a plan is extremely cheap, especially if it has 15GB & Unlimited calls

Attached Images

1 thank
31.08.2018 16:52 #9
I use very little data
31.08.2018 19:38 #10
I use very little data

Have you thought about 48? They have a €10 plan that lasts a full 30 days. They're owned by Three's parent company Hutchison, and run on the O2 3G network, just like Tesco did until recently, so It's a safer bet vs Lycamobile imo
1 thank
31.08.2018 20:22 #11
Originally posted by p15574
Case opened with Comreg. If anyone else wants to add their voice, you can do so here.

Comreg won't do anything about it as you're on a PAYG plan and can move at any time, did you not read the terms and conditions when you signed up to this new plan?  Because you're supposed to read them and it clearly states in the new terms, below is some of what's in them and the word debited is in there so you haven't a leg to stand on.
  • To avail of the Offer, customers must top up by a minimum of €15 in one go every 28 days and maintain a positive credit balance to continue to receive the Offer. Excludes any promotional top up credit received in that 28 day period. When you top up by €15 in one transaction, €15 charge will be debited from your credit and the Offer will activate. This €15 charge will apply each time you top up by €15 in one transaction. A bonus of €5 credit is then applied to your account to spend on out of bundle services. There is no carryover of Offer benefits allowance following any 28 day period. This includes the bonus credit which also has a 28 day expiry.
2 thanks
31.08.2018 20:32 #12
Category Moderator
Originally posted by p15574

Comreg wont do anything. You might have better luck dealing with ASAI on how its being promoted.
31.08.2018 20:39 #13
I think COMREG will act, the text message is unsolicited and quoting a link for T&C's is not sufficient. TESCO should have made clear the pitfalls ie you lose money.  All companies have a duty of car and cannot hoodwink customers, they can try and hope nobody will notice or complain.

Put it bluntly who would pay 15 euro for 5 gb of data.

My plan wont kick unless I top up and I dont intend to either.

I never knew about lyca or 48
1 thank
31.08.2018 22:44 #14
I think COMREG will act, the text message is unsolicited and quoting a link for T&C's is not sufficient. TESCO should have made clear the pitfalls ie you lose money.  All companies have a duty of car and cannot hoodwink customers, they can try and hope nobody will notice or complain.

Put it bluntly who would pay 15 euro for 5 gb of data.

My plan wont kick unless I top up and I dont intend to either.

I never knew about lyca or 48
The link to the terms and conditions are sufficient as it would take about 40 texts to send the info out, the onus is always on the customer to read the terms, they gave you a link to them and you weren’t bothered to read them. If you had read them you would have know you don’t keep the 15, also how do you expect Tesco to pay for the 4G from three, they have to get it from somewhere. Anyway best of luck with it.
2 thanks
01.09.2018 02:44 #15
Originally posted by 200motels
...also how do you expect Tesco to pay for the 4G from three....

Sums it up nicely.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon