Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

9 hrs
Response Time
96%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

Network issue, full bars but won't connect a call.

24.08.2018 15:44 #31
Originally posted by jim salter
Originally posted by l1nk3rr
Exact same issue here but been happening to both me and a relative for months.  I've tried all the settings but no joy. Tried putting SIM card in another unlocked phone and same issue.

Just contacted Tesco mobile and been told it must be a faulty SIM which seems bizarre as also happening to relative who bought SIM in Cavan and I bought mine in Kildare.

Either they have had a major batch of faulty SIM cards which they should have recalled or they have major network issues.

Asked for my phone to be unlocked to switch networks as phone is unusable and told I must have had it 9 months before they will do this.

Going to see out their process and get a replacement SIM but not sure what to do if that doesn't work.

FYI for people experiencing this issue (which I've been told isn't common but this thread would indicate otherwise), turning on airplane mode and switching off reconnected me and saved me rebooting phone completely

Also, just to clarify, in my 20 years using mobiles, I've never need to adjust network settings on phones for them to work. Seems a bizarre response

The issue is not the sim....Tescomobile are an mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) which is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which it provides services to its customers, therefore they cannot with certainty provide a consistent service

If you are in contract, Tescomobile are breaking the terms of the contract and legally you are entitled to end the contract. 

This MVNO  has now been incorporated  with an already overloaded network.
28.08.2018 12:06 #32
And again. Phone status showing as connected to the Tesco Mobile network, have a 3G data connection but no voice connection, that's showing as out of service.
Just tried to check how on MyTescoMobile much credit I have left to see when to order a SIM from someone else, but I can't even access that since I did a password reset and I can't get the new password text due to no signal.

Guess I'll just go ahead and order that new SIM anyway.
1 thank
28.08.2018 17:07 #33
Originally posted by MOH
And again. Phone status showing as connected to the Tesco Mobile network, have a 3G data connection but no voice connection, that's showing as out of service.
Just tried to check how on MyTescoMobile much credit I have left to see when to order a SIM from someone else, but I can't even access that since I did a password reset and I can't get the new password text due to no signal.

Guess I'll just go ahead and order that new SIM anyway.

Good deal from Vodafone: https://www.boards.ie/...922479#post107922479

Have switched myself, Mrs Salter, both parents and nephew from Tescomobile in the last 10 days
29.08.2018 10:30 #34
Hi Everyone,

If your phone is showing signal and a data connection but calls/texts will not work you will have to select the National IMSI option in the When Abroad section of the SIM Applications/ SIM Toolkit app.

Thanks,
Shane
29.08.2018 10:58 #35
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Shane
Hi Everyone,

If your phone is showing signal and a data connection but calls/texts will not work you will have to select the National IMSI option in the When Abroad section of the SIM Applications/ SIM Toolkit app.

Thanks,
Shane

Why select the "When abroad" section when the issue is occurring while in Ireland? (its irrelevant to me as we have all moved to Vodafone however, I'm interested.)
29.08.2018 16:49 #36
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

Does this mean I don't have a faulty SIM or a faulty phone? Why would I need to do this when I've never had to adjust those settings on a phone in over twenty years using phones in Ireland?
1 thank
30.08.2018 17:36 #37
Hi,

My Wife and I are with Tesco and we are both having the same problem. Is there anyway I can get out of the contract? I pay 30 a month for 8 more months. To buy both of us out of the contract that would cost 480. Any options?

Thanks.
30.08.2018 18:42 #38
Originally posted by Flashdan
Hi,

My Wife and I are with Tesco and we are both having the same problem. Is there anyway I can get out of the contract? I pay 30 a month for 8 more months. To buy both of us out of the contract that would cost 480. Any options?

Thanks.
Contact Comreg
1 thank
31.08.2018 13:30 #39
Verified representative
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

Does this mean I don't have a faulty SIM or a faulty phone? Why would I need to do this when I've never had to adjust those settings on a phone in over twenty years using phones in Ireland?

Hi l1nk3rr,

Yes, you may just need to do some connection settings to improve this.

You will need to find the SIM Toolkit app on your phone. This will look like a SIM card with a little cogwheel next to it. From here, you will need to follow the below process which is applicable to your phone:

Android: SIM Toolkit App/ When Abroad/ Select Mode/ Manual/ National.

iPhone: Settings/ Phone/ SIM Applications/ When Abroad/ Select Mode/ Manual/ National.

Please try that out for a few hours to see if you notice an improvement.

Thanks,
Luke
12.09.2018 17:52 #40
Just to update - bit the bullet and switched to another supplier for 20 a month for 25gb (4G if you can believe it 😀) and unlimited calls and texts. Coverage has not dropped once since the switch. Using the same phone which would suggest that SIM card tool kit instructions are total nonsense and just used to fob people off. Anyway - all good and hope this issue gets resolved for other users eventually
2 thanks
12.09.2018 19:49 #41
I switched to Three PAYG for the moment, no repeat of the phone randomly dropping voice and text.

So clearly not the phone, or the main network. And wasn't a specific SIM issue give the Tesco one had been working fine initially. Clearly major issues with the Tesco network
15.09.2018 18:47 #42
Just to update - bit the bullet and switched to another supplier for 20 a month for 25gb (4G if you can believe it 😀) and unlimited calls and texts. Coverage has not dropped once since the switch. Using the same phone which would suggest that SIM card tool kit instructions are total nonsense and just used to fob people off. Anyway - all good and hope this issue gets resolved for other users eventually

I am having the same problem. 2 Phones shows full signal, but no incoming or outgoing calls or texts. Data connection seems ok. One phone is on the Pre-pay €15 a month, the other is on the new 4G €15 a month plan. Getting a bit fed up with having to restart phones and people not getting messages/calls...

Could you tell us who is offering the €20 a month for 25Gb, and unlimited calls and texts?

Thanks
15.09.2018 21:04 #43
Price Mins SMS Data
€20
/30 Days
Validity
Unlimited
National Minutes

International Minutes to 34 Countries
Unlimited
National Text
35 GB
Data
Valid from 05/04/2018
Lyca mobile.
17.09.2018 08:49 #44
Hi stueymc ,

Sorry to hear that your issue is still not sorted.

Please send us a private message in here with your phone number, full name, home address and mother's maiden name for verification purposes first.

We'll check the account and send this further to the relevant team to be investigated for you.

Just to let you know, if you need an instant reply, you can also contact us through the service "Chat Now" from our website, where you can speak live with an agent.

Kind Regards,

Ileana.
17.09.2018 12:36 #45
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Ileana
Hi stueymc ,

Sorry to hear that your issue is still not sorted.

Please send us a private message in here with your phone number, full name, home address and mother's maiden name for verification purposes first.

We'll check the account and send this further to the relevant team to be investigated for you.

Just to let you know, if you need an instant reply, you can also contact us through the service "Chat Now" from our website, where you can speak live with an agent.

Kind Regards,

Ileana.

PM sent.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list