Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

34 hrs
Response Time
86%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

Network issue, full bars but won't connect a call.

17.08.2018 17:05 #16
Originally posted by jim salter
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Ileana
Hi jim salter,

Please send us a private message with your phone number, home address and mother's maiden name for security purposes first.

We'll check the coverage provided in the area and advise the configuration settings needed to keep the handset connected to Tesco mobile.

Just to let you know, if you need an instant reply, you can also contact us through the service "Chat Now" from our website, where you can speak live with an agent.

Kind Regards,

Ileana.

Hi Ileana,

Thanks for your reply.

Clearly there is an issue with Tescomobile.ie network that neither the reps on here nor Tescomobile.ie will admit to the connectivity issues.

The area is Dublin 15 - I can't see why you need "phone number, home address and mother's maiden name for security purposes" to check coverage in the Dublin 15 area.

The resolution to this is the port to another network, which we will do in the coming days.

JS

Suspect this problem goes back to moving tesco mobile system from the O2 masts to an already overload three system. On the day of the change over, the three data crashed and service has been terrible since.
1 thank
17.08.2018 20:01 #17
Originally posted by yrreg0850
Suspect this problem goes back to moving tesco mobile system from the O2 masts to an already overload three system. On the day of the change over, the three data crashed and service has been terrible since.

Yes, I suspect the problem is contention and the overloading on the network.
Tescomobile.ie will not admit they are providing a substandard service
18.08.2018 15:57 #18
So, have now ported from Tescomobile.

Anyone else that is sick of crap service please see this thread : Vodafone PAYG offer
19.08.2018 09:49 #19
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Luke
Hi Beelzebos,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. We've seen this type of issue before.

Can you please go into the Settings Menu and find the Network Mode option on your phone? Please ensure that this is set to 2G/3G only.

After this, you will need to find the SIM Toolkit app on your phone. This will look like a SIM card with a little cogwheel next to it. From here, you will need to follow this process: SIM Toolkit app > When Abroad > Network Selection > Manual > National Tesco IMSI.

After these changes, please try this out for a couple of hours to see if you notice any improvement.

Thanks,
Luke

I was getting no calls nor messages, but had mobile data (last week it was the opposite!). Anyway, no such thing as a "Sim Toolkit app", but the "Tesco Mobile" app has a sim card and cog, so I tried that. I found "SIM Toolkit app > When Abroad > Network Selection > Manual > National" and selected that (it wasn't "National Tesco IMSI", and the only other option was "International"). 

After a re-start, I have calls and texts again! At least for the time being, lets see if it stays that way (:

I only wish the Tesco reps I had spoken to for fixing the data had told me about this ):
19.08.2018 11:19 #20
Originally posted by drevicko
Hi Beelzebos,

Can you please go into the Settings Menu and find the Network Mode option on your phone? Please ensure that this is set to 2G/3G only.

After this, you will need to find the SIM Toolkit app on your phone. This will look like a SIM card with a little cogwheel next to it. From here, you will need to follow this process: SIM Toolkit app > When Abroad > Network Selection > Manual > National Tesco IMSI.

After these changes, please try this out for a couple of hours to see if you notice any improvement.

Thanks,
Luke

I was getting no calls nor messages, but had mobile data (last week it was the opposite!). Anyway, no such thing as a "Sim Toolkit app", but the "Tesco Mobile" app has a sim card and cog, so I tried that. I found "SIM Toolkit app > When Abroad > Network Selection > Manual > National" and selected that (it wasn't "National Tesco IMSI", and the only other option was "International"). 

After a re-start, I have calls and texts again! At least for the time being, lets see if it stays that way (:

I only wish the Tesco reps I had spoken to for fixing the data had told me about this ):

A restart alone will re-register you on the network and you will be able to make/receive calls and send/receive texts for an indeterminate time, no need to use "SIM toolkit".

The simple fact of the matter is the problem is with Tescomobile's network - it is over subscribed. How can the issue be with the SIM? all of a sudden every other SIM card has gone bad? - Nope. The network is crap. Eir and Vodafone are far superior (as they are not MVNO's which Tescomobile is).

For an extra €5/month you can get a reliable service with faster mobile broadband, better coverage and QoS
19.08.2018 12:57 #21
Hi Beelzebos,

Thanks,
Luke

A restart alone will re-register you on the network and you will be able to make/receive calls and send/receive texts for an indeterminate time, no need to use "SIM toolkit".

The simple fact of the matter is the problem is with Tescomobile's network - it is over subscribed. How can the issue be with the SIM? all of a sudden every other SIM card has gone bad? - Nope. The network is crap. Eir and Vodafone are far superior (as they are not MVNO's which Tescomobile is).

For an extra €5/month you can get a reliable service with faster mobile broadband, better coverage and QoS

I don't doubt you're right about Tesco, but restarting wasn't working here in Dublin 15, probably not downtown either if I remember rightly. A restart after the sim toolkit thing seemed to change that.

So far it's still working 3 hours later - cross fingers that it'll stay that way.
19.08.2018 13:34 #22
I don't doubt you're right about Tesco, but restarting wasn't working here in Dublin 15, probably not downtown either if I remember rightly. A restart after the sim toolkit thing seemed to change that.

So far it's still working 3 hours later - cross fingers that it'll stay that way.

In Dublin 15 also and a straight restart works for me.
It's shocking that Tescomobile.ie are allowed to operate such a bad service and actually charge for it.
1 thank
21.08.2018 13:31 #23
This is getting ridiculous, I've just got an email from someone I was waiting for an important call from about a job to say they got a message saying my phone is switched off.

Rebooted the phone and I'm now getting texts from last night. I've been checking it all day to ensure the signal was OK while waiting for the call, and everything looked fine, internet was working OK, but no calls or texts are getting through either direction.
This clearly isn't an isolated issue given the number of similar complaints both here and elsewhere.
1 thank
22.08.2018 15:12 #24
Hi Everyone,

If you are having issues with calls not coming in and calls not connecting can you follow these steps?

Android: SIM Toolkit App/ When Abroad/ Select Mode/ Manual/ National

iPhone: Settings/ Phone/ SIM Applications/ When Abroad/ Select Mode/ Manual/ National

If you still have issues with connection after trying these steps you can send a PM to Tesco Mobile: Reps

Thanks,
Shane
22.08.2018 17:15 #25
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Shane
Hi Everyone,

If you are having issues with calls not coming in and calls not connecting can you follow these steps?

Android: SIM Toolkit App/ When Abroad/ Select Mode/ Manual/ National

iPhone: Settings/ Phone/ SIM Applications/ When Abroad/ Select Mode/ Manual/ National

If you still have issues with connection after trying these steps you can send a PM to Tesco Mobile: Reps

Thanks,
Shane

Why?
22.08.2018 18:02 #26
Exact same issue here but been happening to both me and a relative for months.  I've tried all the settings but no joy. Tried putting SIM card in another unlocked phone and same issue.

Just contacted Tesco mobile and been told it must be a faulty SIM which seems bizarre as also happening to relative who bought SIM in Cavan and I bought mine in Kildare.

Either they have had a major batch of faulty SIM cards which they should have recalled or they have major network issues.

Asked for my phone to be unlocked to switch networks as phone is unusable and told I must have had it 9 months before they will do this.

Going to see out their process and get a replacement SIM but not sure what to do if that doesn't work.

FYI for people experiencing this issue (which I've been told isn't common but this thread would indicate otherwise), turning on airplane mode and switching off reconnected me and saved me rebooting phone completely
22.08.2018 18:05 #27
Originally posted by l1nk3rr
Exact same issue here but been happening to both me and a relative for months.  I've tried all the settings but no joy. Tried putting SIM card in another unlocked phone and same issue.

Just contacted Tesco mobile and been told it must be a faulty SIM which seems bizarre as also happening to relative who bought SIM in Cavan and I bought mine in Kildare.

Either they have had a major batch of faulty SIM cards which they should have recalled or they have major network issues.

Asked for my phone to be unlocked to switch networks as phone is unusable and told I must have had it 9 months before they will do this.

Going to see out their process and get a replacement SIM but not sure what to do if that doesn't work.

FYI for people experiencing this issue (which I've been told isn't common but this thread would indicate otherwise), turning on airplane mode and switching off reconnected me and saved me rebooting phone completely

Also, just to clarify, in my 20 years using mobiles, I've never need to adjust network settings on phones for them to work. Seems a bizarre response
1 thank
23.08.2018 00:15 #28

Also, just to clarify, in my 20 years using mobiles, I've never need to adjust network settings on phones for them to work. Seems a bizarre response

The issue is not the sim....Tescomobile are an mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) which is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which it provides services to its customers, therefore they cannot with certainty provide a consistent service

If you are in contract, Tescomobile are breaking the terms of the contract and legally you are entitled to end the contract. 
23.08.2018 20:55 #29

The issue is not the sim....Tescomobile are an mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) which is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which it provides services to its customers, therefore they cannot with certainty provide a consistent service

If you are in contract, Tescomobile are breaking the terms of the contract and legally you are entitled to end the contract. 

Below in Tescos terms and conditions, so they are not legally entitled to give you coverage all the time.
  • 3.5.1 We will try and provide you with the Services at all times but due to the nature of mobile technology, Tesco Mobile is not in a position to guarantee or offer any minimum service levels.
1 thank
23.08.2018 21:33 #30
Originally posted by 200motels
Below in Tescos terms and conditions, so they are not legally entitled to give you coverage all the time.
  • 3.5.1 We will try and provide you with the Services at all times but due to the nature of mobile technology, Tesco Mobile is not in a position to guarantee or offer any minimum service levels.

There is a minimum level of service (SLA) that needs to be provided in order for the contract to be enforceable.

In essence, that clause says even though the customer pay for a service Tescomobile.ie cannot guarantee they can provide said service.

Would love to see how that would play out in a legal situation.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video