Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Virgin Media Ireland Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 12pm-3pm.

FM Analogue: BBC Radio 4 missing

02.08.2018 08:26 #1
Since yesterday evening BBC Radio 4 (96.3Mz) and BBC World Service (97.1MHz) have disappeared from the analogue FM service. Radio 5 is still there. What's the problem?
02.08.2018 13:26 #2
Originally posted by MHP
Since yesterday evening BBC Radio 4 (96.3Mz) and BBC World Service (97.1MHz) have disappeared from the analogue FM service. Radio 5 is still there. What's the problem?

Hi MHP,

Afraid we don't provide support for analogue radio here but if you can PM Virgin Media: Reps with your acc number we'll query this with our engineers :-)

Thanks.
02.08.2018 14:32 #3
Thanks Brian. PM sent.
02.08.2018 15:07 #4
Yes, I noticed that.

BBC Radio 3/4 and World Service gone since yesterday.

Happened for about 24 hours back in March also.

Odd that BBC 2 and 5 would still be working.

One of the main reasons I am with Virgin since it means I can have convenient bedside BBC radio.

Not a happy customer right now.

D.
02.08.2018 17:37 #5
[tr][td]I just had an online chat with a Virgin support person.

This is the gist of the conversation, after I asked why two BBC radio channels are still available, but the rest not....

"The (analogue radio) service will be removed totally [from] 20 August 2018 and the channels are being removed bit by bit."

So, if there is anyone out there who will give me analogue radio so I can have BBC radio in the bedroom, it's bye, bye Virgin for me.

Some problems, and bedside radio is one of them, work best with an old-school solution.

This is very, very shortsighted on Virgin's part.

D.
2 thanks
02.08.2018 17:56 #6
This is very disappointing news. The analogue FM feed is the main reason that has kept me loyal to Virgin/UPC all the years.
Looks like I'll have to switch to internet radio which is not satisfactory, as a lot of the BBC 5 Live content is not transmitted.
1 thank
02.08.2018 18:15 #7
Originally posted by MHP
This is very disappointing news. The analogue FM feed is the main reason that has kept me loyal to Virgin/UPC all the years.
Looks like I'll have to switch to internet radio which is not satisfactory, as a lot of the BBC 5 Live content is not transmitted.

Agreed.

If anyone can recommend another B.B./phone service (we don’t have TV) I’m all ears.

Thanks.

D.
03.08.2018 09:03 #8
All the BBCs now working again! Thanks Brian.
Can you confirm or deny the information Dinarius was given: "The (analogue radio) service will be removed totally [from] 20 August 2018 and the channels are being removed bit by bit."
03.08.2018 09:39 #9
Yes, it's back. :) 

Hopefully, for good. We'll know August 20 if they meant what the guy said to me.

I'd say a lot of people of a certain age(!) have been using the analogue FM signal since UPC days and continue to do so.

And, yes, it is the best way to listen to BBC Radio Five Live sport - no "Due to rights restrictions..." outages.

It is far and away the easiest way to listen to radio in the bedroom. WiFi alarm clock radios are expensive and not very good.

D.
2 thanks
03.08.2018 12:01 #10
Gone again!!!
03.08.2018 12:32 #11
Yes, gone again.

As with yesterday, 2 and 5 still there, but no 3/4/WS.

Seriously underwhelming, I have to say.

If anyone knows of a rival BB/Phone service that offers analogue signal also, I'm all ears...literally!

D.
04.08.2018 07:56 #12
On again.
04.08.2018 09:38 #13
Originally posted by MHP
On again.

Yes, I wonder why?

Customer feedback? That would be a nice thought.

If the service is finally removed on August 20, while there may be no other service offering FM, I won’t have any reason to stay with Virgin and will seek the best price for phone/BB.

Virgin always pops up as the fastest service, but I find it’s rarely the claimed 250, and seriously, how often do I need it?

D.
04.08.2018 12:12 #14
Originally posted by Dinarius

It is far and away the easiest way to listen to radio in the bedroom. WiFi alarm clock radios are expensive and not very good.

D.

I am delighted to hear someone else saying this. When I tell people I listen to BBC Radio 4 over a radio and actually use a timer record function, they look at me as if I have two heads! Why don't I listen to it on my phone or computer or get podcasts?

This is the best solution I have been able to come up with:
The new Sky Q Box allows you to timer record radio as you do with normal TV programmes
https://www.sky.com/he...s/using-the-tv-guide

Recording a Radio Show

Press on your Sky Q remote when a radio show is highlighted in the TV Guide or the Mini Guide.

Then I hook up a radio to the TV.
Play the recorded radio programme on the TV
Set the radio to record the programme as it plays.

A bit messy but it works.

Brendan
04.08.2018 14:05 #15
Thing is...I’m an owl, she’s a lark. So, I’m listening to R4 and WS well after midnight via an earphone.

So, FM is perfect.

All my other BBC radio listening is via WiFi or computer.

Loss of FM in the bedroom wd be a major bummer.

D.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon