Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Three Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday-Friday: 10am-6pm

Help with Remote / Public connect to office network

11.05.2018 14:01 #1
Hi all

I have a 3 Business, Unlimited Broadband contract with three and have a HUAWEI B525 4G Router. I'm using source control for a software development project and have a server setup and running here in my home office. ( perforce version control, TCP port 1666) Every thing is working great on the LAN but my co-workers are timeing out when they try to connect.

I have been in contact with support over the phone and they have set up my connection as a public sock but after many restarts and double checking every thing  it does not seem to have made any difference.

I've tried turning off all the firewalls, ( router and server ) setting the server as a DMZ. no joy

I'm sure my virtual server (Port forwarding) is setup fine.

I've run Nmap on the public IP all 1000 ports scanned are closed. ( have logs if your from three & interested, not going to post those here for obvious reasons )

I can ping the router over the WAN.( that's some thing of a positive I guess)

My connection is 3G, with a strong signal ( external/outdoor LTE antenna ). No 4G signal in my area right now.

Any one know what might be wrong ? Any and all help would be awesome.
coders breathing down my neck to get this fixed :) 
11.05.2018 15:38 #2
Hi cgdermot,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can I just check are you using mobile broadband or fixed line broadband? 
11.05.2018 15:42 #3
Originally posted by Three: Joolz
Hi cgdermot,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can I just check are you using mobile broadband or fixed line broadband? 

Mobile broadband
Business Unlimited 
11.05.2018 15:42 #4
Hi cgdermot,

You need more coffee Julz, B525 wouldnt be applicable to your whitelabel xDSL.
11.05.2018 15:56 #5
Originally posted by cgdermot
Hi cgdermot,

Mobile broadband
Business Unlimited 

Thanks a mill. I'll take a closer look at this for you. Can you PM me your broadband number please as well as the account details? 
11.05.2018 15:58 #6
Hi cgdermot,

Mobile broadband
Business Unlimited 

Thanks a mill. I'll take a closer look at this for you. Can you PM me your broadband number please as well as the account details? 

Will do.
14.05.2018 11:12 #7
Still trying to figure things out here. With the firewalls off ans testing nothing seems to have worked.
14.05.2018 13:09 #8
OP if you are trying to connect from outside directly to your server using SSL I wouldn't expect it to work over three's network.

I've no idea about the perforce software but if it will work that way I would try a VPN connection to a suitable device on your network (also not 100% reliable on three's network) so external users appear to be on the local network with a local IP address. 
14.05.2018 13:20 #9
Originally posted by my3cents
OP if you are trying to connect from outside directly to your server using SSL I wouldn't expect it to work over three's network.

I've no idea about the perforce software but if it will work that way I would try a VPN connection to a suitable device on your network (also not 100% reliable on three's network) so external users appear to be on the local network with a local IP address. 

Starting to think the same myself. Might have to get a different dedicated WAN connection for the server. VPN might bring latency and other troubles.
14.05.2018 13:25 #10
Originally posted by my3cents

Starting to think the same myself. Might have to get a different dedicated WAN connection for the server. VPN might bring latency and other troubles.

Just test first by seeing if you can give someone desktop access via remote desktop to your desktop from outside the local network. If you can't get that to work there is no point spending any money.
14.05.2018 15:23 #11
After having a chat with the Business tech support it appears like this cant be done over the mobile 4G network. Fixed-line connections should be fine but mobile networks don't support it. Looks like I'll have to try a local provider for a dedicated connection for the server.
14.05.2018 16:10 #12
After having a chat with the Business tech support it appears like this cant be done over the mobile 4G network. Fixed-line connections should be fine but mobile networks don't support it. Looks like I'll have to try a local provider for a dedicated connection for the server.

Mobile networks should be able to support it, in particular three pretends to be no different than any other broadband service.

I'm assuming you did the obvious stuff like check you had a public IP address to start with? Not a given even with a Business account.

You could also try with a vodafone account generally they don't have half the issues with site to site connectivity that three do but I think you'd need a bill pay account to get a public IP address so can't just try with a prepay SIM - maybe someone else will know better.  A company I used to work for had 50 odd machines all around the country on vodafone connecting reliably back to base and vice versa.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video