Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Vodafone Representatives

16 hrs
Response Time
85%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 10am - 2pm

Charge for tethering PAYG

07.03.2018 13:55 #1
Does vodafone automatically charge for mobile hotspot/tethering on PAYG on Android phones or does it use up your data allowance first, like normal internet usage?

On the UK support page it says that it's the latter, it comes from your allowance, but someone on the customer care hotline just told me it is always charged for.
08.03.2018 13:03 #2
Verified representative
Hi there,

Our apologies for the delay in responding to your query. We can confirm that tethering/hotspotting is charged for automatically as it is not included in our Pay as you go plans.

Thanks,
Ailis
08.03.2018 13:41 #3
According to this post, it's taken from data allowance with the condition that only the Live APN is used.

Please clairify whether the policy has changed to charging for tethering via the Live APN?
1 thank
08.03.2018 13:42 #4
Originally posted by Ten Pin
According to this post, it's taken from data allowance with the condition that only the Live APN is used.

Please clairify whether the policy has changed to charging for tethering via the Live APN?

May I ask what "Live APN" is???

I was about to move from bill pay to PAYG, but use tethering a lot - had no idea this was a thing :eek:
08.03.2018 14:04 #5
Depending on your phone, it's in Settings>Mobile Network>Access Point Names

There'll be at least one APN such as:
Live.Vodafone.com

It may be a different APN for bill pay.
It has always been the case that all data through that APN (LIve APN) on PAYG was taken from the allowance and no extra charges were applied.
The question for Vodafone is if this has changed.
1 thank
08.03.2018 15:37 #6
I haven't a device on Android Oreo to check myself, but from what I've heard, Oreo devices have the data APN hardwired into them for tethering and this can't be changed manually.

So on Oreo devices, you'll be charged for tethering unless you use a third party app like Easy Tether.

On other Android devices it remains the case that you can tether from your inclusive data if you make sure you're using the Live APN.
09.03.2018 09:36 #7
Verified representative
Hi there,

Tethering and hotspotting are charged for on Pay as you go plans if the Live APN is not used. If you can set your handset manually to the live APN you will not be charged. However, if the APN reverts to anything else the charges are valid. This is down to Handset settings.

Thanks,
Ailis
09.03.2018 09:39 #8

I've also since found on the FAQs on the Irish site, under "My credit is lower than expected - why?" question , it says:

"if you are using your phone to tether, or using the hotspot function, make sure you are using the live.vodafone.com APN as this is the only one covered in your offer allowance."

If it's changed, their website is contradicting their terms.
09.03.2018 09:47 #9
Originally posted by Quackster
I haven't a device on Android Oreo to check myself, but from what I've heard, Oreo devices have the data APN hardwired into them for tethering and this can't be changed manually.

So on Oreo devices, you'll be charged for tethering unless you use a third party app like Easy Tether.

On other Android devices it remains the case that you can tether from your inclusive data if you make sure you're using the Live APN.

I have latest Android on my phone (8.1) on my phone and under APNs (in Mobile Network settings menu), I have 3 lines:
Vodafone IE (live.vodafone.com)
Vodafone MISP (hs.vodafone.ie)
Vodafone IE (mms.vodafone.net)

The live.vodafone.com one is ticked on my phone (the third one doesn't even have a circle to choose it).
09.03.2018 10:28 #10
Delete the hs APN, (second in your list).

The third one is for MMS messages, it's not used for normal data so it can be ignored unless you send text messages with pictures.
You could delete this as well if you don't use it.

If there's no delete option just edit all the fields to blank.

Check that they don't return to the default list afterwards.
1 thank
09.03.2018 10:32 #11
Delete the hs APN, (second in your list).

The third one is for MMS messages, it's not used for normal data so it can be ignored unless you send text messages with pictures.
You could delete this as well if you don't use it.

If there's no delete option just edit all the fields to blank.

No delete option on the hs APN and everything is greyed out so can't edit anything.
09.03.2018 10:33 #12
Is it a Vodafone handset?
09.03.2018 10:46 #13
Is it a Vodafone handset?

Nexus 5x
09.03.2018 10:55 #14
Assume that's unlocked (SIM free)?

To check if you're APN is auto selected do this:

Turn off data (so you won't be charged), then turn on hotspot, tether another device and see if the selected APN has changed (it may change only with data connection on so it's a catch 22, the best way to check is with zero credit).

Vodafone might have some control over the APN either via an Android setting or some other Vodafone app or firmware. If it's Android (as per Quackster's post above) then there may be a fix but I don't know what the fix is (try search for "Oreo tether" or "Oreo APN edit"). Sounds like Google might have broken something that doesn't benefit consumers, same as Apple do with iPhone tethering.
1 thank
09.03.2018 14:44 #15
Assume that's unlocked (SIM free)?

To check if you're APN is auto selected do this:

Turn off data (so you won't be charged), then turn on hotspot, tether another device and see if the selected APN has changed (it may change only with data connection on so it's a catch 22, the best way to check is with zero credit).

Vodafone might have some control over the APN either via an Android setting or some other Vodafone app or firmware. If it's Android (as per Quackster's post above) then there may be a fix but I don't know what the fix is (try search for "Oreo tether" or "Oreo APN edit"). Sounds like Google might have broken something that doesn't benefit consumers, same as Apple do with iPhone tethering.

It's unlocked. I'll have a check of that later, thanks.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video