Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Vodafone Representatives

35 hrs
Response Time
59%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 10am - 2pm

WiFi Calling

15.04.2019 18:58 #241
Originally posted by _Kaiser_
Any of the recent flagships (S8 or above) can certainly support it, but VF haven't enabled it for the newer S9/S10 (or variants), or any of the other models/manufacturers.

It's nonsense really. Not the fault of the reps here, but I've found their 4G signal has gotten worse of late, so if this doesn't come along very quickly, I'll be off elsewhere as soon as the contract expires personally.

All you have to do is go over to the UK, or the States the difference in the networks is quite big. Everyday Ireland is slipping further back into the dark ages. Most of the masts out there are still only 3G, most countries are soon to be switching off 3G

Before anyone comes on going on about “ They are a bigger population blah blah blah” yes that’s true but Irelands a smaller country with less people so it shouldn’t cost as much to bring the network on par with the rest. ( less masts to upgrade and less congestion)
Last edited by Micky 32: 15.04.2019 at 19:05.
15.04.2019 19:20 #242
Hi,

Is there a list of compatible devices somewhere ?

Thanks.
15.04.2019 21:17 #243
Originally posted by garrettod
Hi,

Thanks.

https://n.vodafone.ie/...k/wi-fi-calling.html
1 thank
15.04.2019 22:51 #244
I got tired of waiting for device support and I signed up for eir sim only.

So far the WiFi calling has been great on eir. Our house has poor signal for all networks. I had read that calls couldn't be received on eir wifi but it works fine for me.

The Vodafone reps in their shops need to be trained up on WiFi calling!
1 thank
15.04.2019 23:33 #245
Originally posted by handofdog

So far the WiFi calling has been great on eir. Our house has poor signal for all networks. I had read that calls couldn't be received on eir wifi but it works fine for me.

How much was the eir sim only to get wifi calling?
15.04.2019 23:49 #246
It was €200 for a Huawei P Smart 2019 phone.

I was on a oneplus 3t. At this early stage I'm very happy with the new phone.

Contract is 15 a month for 6 months followed by 30 a month for the remaining 6 months.
16.04.2019 08:47 #247
Eir SIM Only

€15/month for 12 months
or
€10/month for 12 months ( for Eir BB customers)

Bargain Alerts discussion link
Last edited by bromley52: 16.04.2019 at 08:50. Reason: Title missing
1 thank
16.04.2019 10:04 #248
Originally posted by bromley52
Eir SIM Only

€15/month for 12 months
or

I had seen that offer but I was concerned that the plan wouldn't include Wi-Fi calling.

For example, I checked with Carphone Warehouse regarding their support for Wi-Fi calling on a Vodafone phone bought from them.  Their support team were excellent and they confirmed that for wi-fi calling the plan needed a to be purchased directly from the operator.

I'm not saying that the Big Switch option won't work.  I just don't know if it will.
16.04.2019 10:27 #249
Originally posted by bromley52
Eir SIM Only

€15/month for 12 months
or

I had seen that offer but I was concerned that the plan wouldn't include Wi-Fi calling.

For example, I checked with Carphone Warehouse regarding their support for Wi-Fi calling on a Vodafone phone bought from them.  Their support team were excellent and they confirmed that for wi-fi calling the plan needed a to be purchased directly from the operator.

I'm not saying that the Big Switch option won't work.  I just don't know if it will.

With the big switch option you are buying the plan directly from Eir. Saying one big switch to them is like using a promo code which extends the plan from 6 months to 12 months at half price.

W.r.t WiFi calling the supported phone just needs to have the Eir firmware. This is easy enough for Samsung devices using sites such as Sammobile but I'm not sure about other manufacturers. 
Note. Changing firmware does come with risks but it's been done many times without issue. YouTube would be your friend here. 
N.B. Make sure to back up your data as flashing firmware will erase everything. 
1 thank
16.04.2019 14:01 #250
Hi.

If anyone on here has wi-fi calling working on their s8 then could you let me know what firmware you have?  

Thanks in advance.
17.04.2019 08:43 #251
Originally posted by simi956
Hi,

Thanks.

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/wi-fi-calling.html

Thanks,

That list of handsets is inexcuseably short ...

Do Vodafone think they can force us to all to upgrade our handsets as part of this offering (which in itself, is only a cheaper way for Vodafone providing the signal coverage that should be available to us when we pay monthly line rental to begin with) ?

Is it true that Eir's WiFi calling service can be used outside of Ireland, but Vodafone's can not ?

I note that they have far more compatible devices on their WiFi calling, and think it may be time to also look at their subscription costs.
1 thank
17.04.2019 08:46 #252
Originally posted by simi956
Hi,

Thanks.

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/wi-fi-calling.html

Thanks,

Do Vodafone think they can force us to all to upgrade our handsets as part of this offering (which in itself, is only a cheaper way for Vodafone providing the signal coverage that should be available to us when we pay monthly line rental to begin with) ?

Is it true that Eir's WiFi calling service can be used outside of Ireland, but Vodafone's can not ?

Yes
1 thank
17.04.2019 09:30 #253
Thanks,

I note that they have far more compatible devices on their WiFi calling, and think it may be time to also look at their subscription costs.

The only reason i’m still with Vodafone and i haven’t tried Eir is because of the roaming deal. I go to the states a bit and 2.99 a day vs Eir’s roaming in USA would be quite costly with my use.
19.04.2019 08:26 #254
Can anyone with wifi calling check something for me. If you switch your phone off and ring your no. from another phone does your phone go to voicemail? If I do the same to mine I get a disconnected sound not even an engaged sound.
19.04.2019 11:30 #255
Originally posted by notahappycamper
Can anyone with wifi calling check something for me. If you switch your phone off and ring your no. from another phone does your phone go to voicemail? If I do the same to mine I get a disconnected sound not even an engaged sound.

Did you ring it from a landline? I know when my phone is turned off and someone rings me from a landline it acts like the number doesn’t exist. I complained to Vodafone about it but they never bothered to fix it
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video