Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Virgin Media Ireland Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 12pm-3pm.

Very poor TV Hub. Plus V6 box STIL not available in Ireland?

16.02.2018 23:22 #16
Reported in today's papers
19.02.2018 11:15 #17
They have no plans to replace the Horizon box as is, as there is no immediate massive demand to stay ahead of the market. The only content provider for 4K (the main reason for the upgrade) is Sky and Netflix, so until the content providers see a massive move to Sky for movies, then VM will not move. They also have actual competition with Sky and BT in the UK for TV and broadband, so to placate Irish subscribers they introduced the Hub 3.0 for faster DOCSIS 3.0 broadband and AC Wifi and kept with the Horizon HD box. Quality wise, I have wifi and routing turned off on both horizon and hub 3.0 due to well known quality issues and interference from the WiFree

It's a shame, as I'm only keeping the horizon box for OTA channels, as I have 4K UHD Netflix directly to on the TV and IPTV for other channels. Once this habit is commonplace (using the TV as the content/streaming device), VM will be too late to roll out the new boxes except for new low cost subscriptions, and the demand from high end subscribers will be lost.

Alternatively, they could just roll out the V6 box, and get it over with.
1 thank
19.02.2018 17:08 #18
In all previous media reports it's been said that the Horizon box will not change and will have updated software to enable 4k viewing.
19.02.2018 17:20 #19
It will change to a Sky box or FTA if they don't...
24.02.2018 11:41 #20
Originally posted by Virgin Media: Brian
Originally posted by Nonoperational
I’m gone back to Sky if its not replaced by June. Had to get Virgin in the apartment but Sky recently installed a communal dish. The horizon box is absolutely disgraceful compared to Sky Q.

Hi there,

If there was any assistance or info you need regarding the box we'd be happy to follow up here with you?

Thanks.

Ah sure it's just a terrible box. It's not your fault. The speed of scrolling, the general user experience is miles behind Sky.
5 thanks
05.04.2018 09:36 #21
I just asked them on Twitter and they said “Good morning we remain focused on releasing our next gen box to Virgin Media customers by year end. Thanks for your interest and stay tuned during the day for more info”
1 thank
09.04.2018 16:54 #22
Originally posted by alpha2003_
I just asked them on Twitter and they said “Good morning we remain focused on releasing our next gen box to Virgin Media customers by year end. Thanks for your interest and stay tuned during the day for more info”

Not very forthcoming with the info are they.
09.04.2018 17:06 #23
How the Horizon box passed testing I'll never know. It's honestly one if the worst electronic devices I've ever used in my entire life.

We're not asking for 8K resolution or SkyQ features, just a TV box that allows you to watch TV. You can't browse through the channels because it's unbearably slow. It's ridiculous that they thought it was ok to mass produce.
6 thanks
09.04.2018 17:14 #24
Originally posted by DaveyDave
How the Horizon box passed testing I'll never know. It's honestly one if the worst electronic devices I've ever used in my entire life.

We're not asking for 8K resolution or SkyQ features, just a TV box that allows you to watch TV. You can't browse through the channels because it's unbearably slow. It's ridiculous that they thought it was ok to mass produce.

I'm glad to say that I clung onto my pre-horizon box. There's no way I was giving that up.
09.04.2018 17:39 #25
Originally posted by DaveyDave

Agreed. I have to use the mobile app to change channels, as the onscreen menu is so painfully slow and useless. Then if I want to change channel again a bit later, I'll need to force quit the app and reopen it before picking what I want, as the push to box option will have disappeared. 
09.04.2018 17:47 #26
Heap pf rubbish. Miles behind sky box. Slow,missed recordings, tapes repeats. Pure muck.
1 thank
09.04.2018 17:55 #27
Horizon is a no go. Horrible, slow, virtually unresponsive. The programme would be over by the time you find it on that EPG
4 thanks
09.04.2018 19:25 #28
This is what I had to deal with last night, I’m on my 4th box. So angry last night, joke of a service/product. My friends n family from North can hardly believe the rubbish we have.

Any reps wish to add something apart from suggesting factory reset?

Attached Images

10.04.2018 14:01 #29
Originally posted by mbradso2003
This is what I had to deal with last night, I’m on my 4th box. So angry last night, joke of a service/product.  My friends n family from North can hardly believe the rubbish we have.

Hi mbradso2003,

Did you notice any issues with TV signal or quality at the time of the recording by any chance? 

Thanks.
10.04.2018 14:56 #30
Originally posted by mbradso2003
This is what I had to deal with last night, I’m on my 4th box. So angry last night, joke of a service/product.  My friends n family from North can hardly believe the rubbish we have.

Sure it's part of the charm of Horizon, wait till the Virgin reps start asking the obvious questions and then send an engineer out to look at it and when they can't find any error tell you things like "once the box is over 50% full you will see issues such as this".
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon