Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Vodafone Representatives

15 hrs
Response Time
86%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 10am - 2pm

Vodafone B528 4G Router Spotty connection

14.05.2018 08:58 #46
Verified representative
Hi there,

Could you confirm if you are still experiencing issues please?

Thanks,
Ailis
14.05.2018 10:54 #47
Yes, saw the issue again Sunday, and at around 5am this morning. Last a few minutes.
14.05.2018 11:38 #48
Originally posted by Vodafone: Reps
Hi there,

Thanks,
Ailis

Everyone here who still has the router still has the problem. It's not going to magically go away without a real fix from your system engineers.
2 thanks
15.05.2018 07:43 #49
Verified representative
Hi there,

If you seem to be experiencing the issue again please send us a PM with the folllowing details and we can take a further look into this for you.

Mobile Broadband number:
Address:
Eir code:
Date of Birth:
A link to this thread:

Thanks,
Ailis
21.05.2018 15:01 #50
Originally posted by Reati
Hi there,

Thanks,
Ailis

Everyone here who still has the router still has the problem. It's not going to magically go away without a real fix from your system engineers.

DNS issues not resolved yet, if you pardon the pun?

I'm currently on VF 150Gb MBB Ultra for e60 pm and have been watching developments here, or lack of, for a while with a view to switching plan to 4G Home Broadband. A saving of e15 pm would be welcome and I'm also out of contract. Thankfully I have no issues as outlined in this thread and I'm reasonably happy with the service, apart from the cost. Good download speeds and sites like rte.ie load quickly enough in 4/5 seconds. The question is will I get the same level of service if I switch.

Presently I use my own unlocked Huawei E5186 Router so even if I'm provided with a B528 for free I probably would continue to use the E5186. Do you think I would avoid said issues then as one impression I'm getting here is that the root cause of said problems is the crappy B528, as setup by VF. Has anybody put the sim into another 4G router - even a VF one like the R216  - to see if said issues disappear.

Or could this issue be specific to this plan, 4G Home Broadband, as someone said earlier that they put a sim from their VF phone in there (the B528) and had no issues. Well this could mean there's something funny going on with that sim / service. If that's the case I may have to shop around or read alot more here on boards to check out the alternatives.
1 thank
23.05.2018 19:56 #51
Picked up this router today and from the beginning I am having intermittent DNS lookup issues. Type in a web address and press enter, and I am sitting for 20 -30 seconds while it resolves host and finally loads.  Its not consistent and sometimes a page loads very quickly but its annoying when it occurs.

Its not a speed issue as I have 15Mb currently.  I fear a return may be looming.
1 thank
23.05.2018 20:55 #52
Yes, returning ours and cancelling contract. It’s just not consistent. I needed it for working from home. Not fit for that purpose.
1 thank
24.05.2018 12:14 #53
It worked fine most of last night after the initial problems but just had phone call from an angry wife who is working from home today saying the resolving host issues are back and its not usable like that.  I'll give the Vodafone engineers a call and give them a chance to resolve as I have 14 days before I have to return it but i'm not convinced it will get resolved.
1 thank
24.05.2018 15:46 #54
We returned on day 13 today.... was onto support several times during that time, including on here. Dead end each time. "Try again tomorrow".   It would probably be fine for some people's occasional use, as long as you never ever needed to rely on it actually working, for say, boarding passes  or working from home. But these days, most of us rely on a provider whose service is consistently available, not just occasionally available.  

If you were hitting various dns in a short space of time, it crapped out too often. They've really just messed up their DNS config for some reason and have deliberately overridden the users ability to fix it by locking the firmware. Can't see the point of that myself , but there you go. Someone , somewhere made that decision.  

Back to the shop to ditch it this morning. 

Not fit for purpose.
25.05.2018 09:58 #55
I am working from home today and am having to use my phone as a hot spot (with Vodafone) rather than the Vodafone router. That says it all really and outline the difference between the two services.
1 thank
25.05.2018 12:28 #56
Verified representative
Hi Harcrid,

Could you send us on the following details in a PM and we can take a further look into this for you.

Mobile broadband number:
Address:
Date of Birth:
A link to this thread:

Thanks,
Ailis
25.05.2018 15:23 #57
Hi Harcrid,

Could you send us on the following details in a PM and we can take a further look into this for you.

Mobile broadband number:
Address:
Date of Birth:
A link to this thread:

Thanks,
Ailis

Why do you keep asking for this. You have one package that we have all given you feedback isn't working. We have told you the issues. How hard is it to create a ticket for tech that says B528 router has constant DNS issues.

Is the VF tech team really unable to see this issue on the network?
25.05.2018 16:43 #58
Ok so I have this over 7 months now and get that DNS issue is a real pain. Its obvious that no-one in Vodafone actually tested the device before they started selling it. I get the DNS issue every couple of minutes if I'm browsing the web. When it happens i have to use my phone as a hotspot which is on the Vodafone network and works perfectly, that or use the DSL which works fine but slow. The only good thing about the B528 is for downloading software updates for several machine which works brilliantly. It also works perfectly for online gaming. But as for as opening a simple webpage like google it could bomb out. 
Theres one thing i noticed that when their playing online games it works a lot better. 

So i'm asking Vodafone are you working on a firmware update for this this or is it a service problem. I'm thinking of getting the E5186 Router but not sure if I will get the same problems if its something to so with the service.

I don't fancy another 17 months of switching connections because it can't resolve opening a webpage.
1 thank
26.05.2018 11:19 #59
Originally posted by Shane_o12
--Snip--
So i'm asking Vodafone are you working on a firmware update for this this or is it a service problem. I'm thinking of getting the E5186 Router but not sure if I will get the same problems if its something to so with the service.

I don't fancy another 17 months of switching connections because it can't resolve opening a webpage.

I have the E5186 but on a different plan, same 150Gb, but costing 60pm. I have none of these DNS issues so does this mean that the B528 is the problem. I do not know but I would love to put a sim from someone who has problems in either my E5186 or R216

I am willing to test that if anybody around Clare with issues want's to PM me and we can try it out.
1 thank
28.05.2018 08:55 #60
Hi Harcrid,

Mobile broadband number:
Address:
Date of Birth:
A link to this thread:

Thanks,
Ailis

Hi Ailis,

I contacted Vodafone tech support on it late Friday afternoon but I am not seeing any improvement.  I'll be returning it today within my 14 days. 

Thanks
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image