Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Ask KBC Representatives

68 hrs
Response Time
82%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm

Do NOT switch mortgage to KBC

05.12.2017 19:47 #31
Originally posted by tedpan
My mate opened an account a few months ago, which was a tough enough experience. He then was approved for a loan, also a lengthy process. The paperwork was lost, then some personal information was incorrect once the documents arrived. In the end, he gave up and went to his existing bank and was sorted within 24 hours.

Sometimes small cost savings are just not worth it..

To be honest, we moved initially for the good fixed interest rate, we were 3.4 with BOI, dropped to 2.99 with KBC. Coincidentally, BOI have since dropped there's too. We were also eyeing up a bigger chunk of the 3k as we "thought" our switch would be smooth sailing and we were thinking max 1600 all in. In the end we "made" 250 which was swallowed up by the higher house insurance. Ah well, cest la vie, nobody died and our mortgage is decent but it just wasn't worth the hassle
05.12.2017 20:32 #32
I used PTSB after reading this and they were a dream to deal with! I now have 2K to use for Christmas. 
2 thanks
06.12.2017 11:28 #33
Originally posted by tedpan
My mate opened an account a few months ago, which was a tough enough experience. He then was approved for a loan, also a lengthy process. The paperwork was lost, then some personal information was incorrect once the documents arrived. In the end, he gave up and went to his existing bank and was sorted within 24 hours.

Sometimes small cost savings are just not worth it..

We would like to change at this stage but we would lose our tracker, thing is they know that and are making us wait no matter what.
01.05.2018 09:07 #34
thanks @Chicken Foot ... i was considering reaching out to KBC to switch ... just because of You; i will not and i thank you for your words of warning while taking the time (and the extra-pain really) to log the most relevant part of your ordeal here ! 
01.05.2018 09:21 #35
Originally posted by JDs
thanks @Chicken Foot ... i was considering reaching out to KBC to switch ... just because of You; i will not and i thank you for your words of warning while taking the time (and the extra-pain really) to log the most relevant part of your ordeal here ! 

It's not worth it, honestly.
01.05.2018 11:27 #36
Originally posted by JDs

Just to give a positive account. I've a mortgage with KBC and am currently fixed with a good rate. The other banks have come down to around the same since. I have an extra current account which gives me a discount on the mortgage and a better savings rate in my extra regular savings account. I have a credit card too where I receive cash back on groceries.

I've only every had a small issue which was sorted out over the phone.

If you have a specific question just ask.
14.01.2019 17:50 #37
Yep KBC are still awful - TOTAL DISASTER !! 

I tried to switch some of my banking to them last year and it was like dealing with school children --- for MONTHS !

Every requested document was supplied and there were lots. It seemed like the whole help desk youth club want to talk to me about everything so that after a few months going nowhere when eventually all of my accounts weren't showing under my profile they needed to ..... TAAAAAAAAAAALK to ME about it ....rather than sort it -- and that was just the start. 

I needed a number to login - they couldn't mail it they needed to talk to me. Eventually they mailed it. They will pester the life out of you with bad mannered calls demanding that you tell them who you are, DOB, address etc - they simply don't / wont do mail like any professional organisation ! Stick with a real bank run by grown ups even if it costs a few bob extra.

After weeks trying to get my login details I was getting phone calls up to eight o'clock at night and they would demand that I answer their security questions before telling me why they called - I didn't want a call at night and asked them to mail me -- NOPE ... not possible. When I said I would call them back they wouldn't answer the phone. 

Eventually I destroyed the cards and closed all of my KBC accounts. Total disaster. Never again. :mad:
Last edited by Phaedrus1: 14.01.2019 at 18:32.
2 thanks
20.03.2019 21:34 #38
Hi, just thought I'd share my experience..... Complete opposite to the above experiences. Just finalised the switch to KBC, gotta say have nothing but positive feedback from start to finish. Switched the bank accounts and the mortgage, and all good. Very good communication, they have no issues with email as long as you use a secure link, the banking app I find very handy, and the security steps in their process are a comfort when I think of some of the dealings I've had with BOI and AIB in the past.  
08.06.2019 08:17 #39
Thinking of switching mortgage to KBC. Are they still a disaster?
08.06.2019 08:37 #40
Originally posted by cornflake1

I haven't heard anything about them in a while to be honest.
Questions to ask yourself:
1) is it a self build?
2) does it involve private land?
3) any status changes in the mortgage holders (we got married after our first mortgage, it added extra paperwork with KBC)
4) when was the last time your rebuild value was calculated? This will need to be done for KBC, it had increased by 60k driving up the cost of Home insurance. It's now insured for approx 180k More than it cost to build
5) are you prepared to accept that this process may take up to 6 months?

I had such a bad experience, I appreciate that there are plenty who dealt with them successfully but I couldn't possibly recommend them. Our solicitor told us at the start that they were more awkward than other banks, perhaps a quick chat with your solicitor could help?
1 thank
08.06.2019 09:06 #41

Glad you've read this post, at least you have been forewarned & can be prepared. Do not expect a smooth process but there are always exceptions.
Would not recommend them from personal experience.
1 thank
13.06.2019 14:43 #42

Any update?
1 thank
13.06.2019 21:28 #43
Originally posted by chicken foot

I haven't heard anything about them in a while to be honest.
Questions to ask yourself:
1) is it a self build?
2) does it involve private land?
3) any status changes in the mortgage holders (we got married after our first mortgage, it added extra paperwork with KBC)
4) when was the last time your rebuild value was calculated? This will need to be done for KBC, it had increased by 60k driving up the cost of Home insurance. It's now insured for approx 180k More than it cost to build
5) are you prepared to accept that this process may take up to 6 months?

I had such a bad experience, I appreciate that there are plenty who dealt with them successfully but I couldn't possibly recommend them. Our solicitor told us at the start that they were more awkward than other banks, perhaps a quick chat with your solicitor could help?

Thanks for the reply. We aren't doing a self build and haven't changed marital status. Also we only took out the original mortgage two years ago so the value should be the same. I hope!
13.06.2019 21:29 #44
Originally posted by BronsonTB

Any update?

Still collecting documents. Thinking of bringing them into a branch rather than doing it online in the hopes it might go smoother.
14.06.2019 14:42 #45
Originally posted by BronsonTB

Any update?

Still collecting documents. Thinking of bringing them into a branch rather than doing it online in the hopes it might go smoother.

Hi Bronson, I recently did a switcher montage with them, no complaints. I would definitely go to the branch to start rather than online.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video