Response Time
100%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 6pm
(excluding public holidays)

Excessive usage

25.09.2017 12:42 #16
I have never experienced anything like this before so I was wondering. With regard to situations like mine where there is apparantly an illegal connection to my electricity supply. How is the outstanding amount resolved. I thought the original estimated bill was a little high @ 223 euro which is why I took the original meter reading and discovered the massive anomaly. How do I now figure what to pay. How do you decide how much I owe with the meter readings so compromised. I want to put this behind me and be able to trust that I am actually using what the meter says I need to pay for.
26.09.2017 12:09 #17
PM sent
1 thank
26.09.2017 12:56 #18
Maybe somebody is running grow house off your power supply. What's your water consumption like?
26.09.2017 13:47 #19
Originally posted by Gooser14
Maybe somebody is running grow house off your power supply. What's your water consumption like?

Well that was my original suspicion, because @ 80 - 100Kw per day what else could be causing that much draw.
26.09.2017 14:47 #20
Verified representative
Hi Witchy.ie,

Thank you for getting in touch.

While the source of the consumption is being investigated by the electrician, we recommend paying every second month what you would have paid on average for a bill at your previous property. The estimated bill would have related to the previous occupant's usage.

We will respond to your private message ASAP.

Regards,
Una
26.09.2017 15:03 #21
Originally posted by Electric Ireland: Una
Hi Witchy.ie,

While the source of the consumption is being investigated by the electrician, we recommend paying every second month what you would have paid on average for a bill at your previous property. The estimated bill would have related to the previous occupant's usage.

Regards,
Una

Thanks Una, that would be difficult as I was previously paying bills for a family of six and I now live alone.
26.09.2017 17:20 #22
Verified representative
Originally posted by Witchy.ie
Originally posted by Electric Ireland: Una
Hi Witchy.ie,

Regards,
Una

Thanks Una, that would be difficult as I was previously paying bills for a family of six and I now live alone.

Sorry Witchy.ie. We suggest maybe paying in small amounts whenever you can, just to keep your account effectively "topped up" while the matter is being investigated.

The Electric Ireland My Energy Pal app gives a gauge of what various appliances/devices consume.

Regards,
Una
26.09.2017 17:31 #23
I knew an electrician who went to do some work in a shop premises where the owner had flats rented overhead. He switched off at the mains to do the work and a big display fridge kept working. He said to the owner that there was something wrong and was told to go ahead that what he was working on was isolated. Turned out the owner had a bit of electrical knowledge and had connected the fridge to one of the flats.
04.10.2017 09:58 #24
Hi just another update. The landlords electrician was here on Saturday and checked the 2 commercial premises in the building> He didn't find anything amiss. He tried to gain access to the other apartment but there was no one there. He was supposed to try again last night but didn't show up. The landlord has yet to respond to my last attempt to contact him. The meter has registered just over 2000kw usage since September 14th.
04.10.2017 10:00 #25
elperello My suspicion is that whoever did this was trying to connect to the commercial properties electricity in the hope that the additional usage wouldn't be noticed. 
13.10.2017 11:50 #26
elperello My suspicion is that whoever did this was trying to connect to the commercial properties electricity in the hope that the additional usage wouldn't be noticed. 

do you still have the problems???
Take the things out of your freezer and ask someone to put it in theirs 
switch of your supply for a 24 hours and the one who is connected to your meter will call your landlord/ a spark to solve his "problem"
17.10.2017 08:55 #27
Originally posted by crossmolinalad

do you still have the problems???
Take the things out of your freezer and ask someone to put it in theirs 
switch of your supply for a 24 hours and the one who is connected to your meter will call your landlord/ a spark to solve his "problem"

Hi Yes I'm still having problems. The electrician has now checked the remaining apartment and the attic and found nothing suspicious. I don't have a freezer, just a small undercounter fridge with an ice box. The landlords electrician has fitted a meter to my Fuse/ELCB box so I'm monitoring any differences with the main meter downstairs which aren't much so far. Strangely when fitting the meter he obviously had to cut the power at the mains and when he turned it back on after maybe 30 mins it took off, turning so fast you couldn't see the markings on the wheel and took 3-4 mins to slow down. Again at the time there was nothing running except my fridge. I have requested the meter be checked by ESB Networks as it is the oldest meter in the building dating from 1976.
24.10.2017 18:30 #28
What happened?
25.10.2017 10:59 #29
The second meter has been running for just over a week now and the usage reading are now what I would have expected them to be all along. Averaging 5-7KW per 24 hours during the week and a bit more on the weekends. I'm no expert but this strongly suggests to me that the meter is not the problem and yet again it looks like someone was connecting illegally and the electrician activity scared them off and they disconnected. Its a frustrating bloody mess.
05.01.2021 13:36 #30
Hi witchy.ie

Did you every find out what caused the high meter readings? We have a similar problem with high bills and low usage for years with the exact same time of meter RM032

Dennis
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon