Response Time
72%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday – Friday 8am till 6pm
Saturday 8am till 1pm

Have a cheque or draft question?

30.05.2018 12:44 #31
Hello I lodged a cheque i received as a present in the lodgement atm in boi eyresquare, my name wasn’t written on it so I got a call saying it would be sent back to me via post.. this was 10 days ago. I was wondering how long will this take to get back?
30.05.2018 13:47 #32
Verified representative
Hi Got55,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

You should've received the cheque within 3-5 days. We'd suggest contacting customer services to see if it's been returned to you or contact the person who issued the cheque to ask them to cancel it and issue a new one.

Thanks
Tara
01.06.2018 08:53 #33
Hi there,

This may have been asked already but I'm just looking for confirmation.

How long will it take for a cheque from a UK bank(Barclays) to clear in my BOI account?
The cheque was made out to Euros € and I lodged it to my BOI account through an in branch ATM last Monday 28-May.

Is this cheque treated as any non-domestic cheque, i.e. 4-5 weeks?

Thanks in advance.
02.06.2018 12:18 #34
Hi Manero,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

Yes it would take up to 6 weeks for the clearing process then you will see the cheque lodged and the funds will be avail.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Kareana
12.06.2018 17:37 #35
Hi,

I have a BOI cheque that is dated on the 2nd of December. Is there a time limit on cheques to cash? I cannot really go back to the person about this cheque if it isn't valid anymore.

Thanks
13.06.2018 09:58 #36
Hi barry181091

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

The cheque is valid only for a 6 month period from the date it's written, sorry as it's past this time limit we would not be able to accept it.

Any further questions please feel free to get back to us,

Many Thanks
Alison
14.06.2018 11:22 #37
Hi there
Our local credit union closed down last year and issued a cheque for my savings amount. The cheque is dated Oct 2017 so I think it's now stale (never got around to cashing it)

It's issued from the Central Bank. Do I need to get it reissued or could I still lodge it to my account?

Thanks
14.06.2018 14:59 #38
Verified representative
Hi there,

As the cheque would've gone out of date in April, you'll need to contact the issuer to request a new one.

Thanks
Tara
1 thank
04.10.2018 09:38 #39
Hello, when you say cheque from outside republic of Ireland may take longer, how long time do you exactly mean? I lodged a cashier cheque for 33.500 euros the 7th of August , I was told in the branch that it can take 4 to 6 weeks to clear, before lodging the cheque I was given al document to read where it's written 6 to 8 weeks time to clear a foreign cheque.  Now we got over the 8 weeks, i call and all they can say is that they are checking with the international department,  this is for 10 days already, so i must assume that there's no communication if the international department doesn't answer, it's like saying that a company calls his office and they don't answer!!!! I believe it's my right to know where my money are exactly and seems there's no way to know it. If I was informed that there's no time or policy to clear a cheque i wouldn't have deposit it. How do I know where my money are? I need my funds and I should know the situation in details. Thank you in advance for your answer 
04.10.2018 12:30 #40
Originally posted by FrancescoB
Hello, when you say cheque from outside republic of Ireland may take longer, how long time do you exactly mean? I lodged a cashier cheque for 33.500 euros the 7th of August , I was told in the branch that it can take 4 to 6 weeks to clear, before lodging the cheque I was given al document to read where it's written 6 to 8 weeks time to clear a foreign cheque.  Now we got over the 8 weeks, i call and all they can say is that they are checking with the international department,  this is for 10 days already, so i must assume that there's no communication if the international department doesn't answer, it's like saying that a company calls his office and they don't answer!!!! I believe it's my right to know where my money are exactly and seems there's no way to know it. If I was informed that there's no time or policy to clear a cheque i wouldn't have deposit it. How do I know where my money are? I need my funds and I should know the situation in details. Thank you in advance for your answer 

Hi FrancescoB,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I can confirm that the clearance time frame for foreign currency cheques would usually be between 6 to 8 weeks. If you have now gone past this time frame I'd ask you to raise this through the "Ask a question" section within the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile and the advisers there will be more than happy to have a look into this transaction on your account to see what information is available on the cheque.

Thanks again,
Darren.
04.10.2018 13:18 #41
Thanks Darren, I already did what you suggested but they have no infos,  they gave me the number of the branch manager who said he's contacting the international department without success,  I won't comment on this, I am more than sure that there's no need for it. I put a complaint I'll see if and what they answer in any case it's ridiculous that I lodge a cheque and I can't know about my money. Nothing personal I know you do your job. Could you kindly send me the link where i can find your policy for foreign cheque?

Best regards 

Francesco 
05.10.2018 14:00 #42
Originally posted by FrancescoB
Thanks Darren, I already did what you suggested but they have no infos,  they gave me the number of the branch manager who said he's contacting the international department without success,  I won't comment on this, I am more than sure that there's no need for it. I put a complaint I'll see if and what they answer in any case it's ridiculous that I lodge a cheque and I can't know about my money. Nothing personal I know you do your job. Could you kindly send me the link where i can find your policy for foreign cheque?

Best regards 

Francesco 

Thanks for getting back to us FarancescoB,
We wouldn't have a link with this information available. Please be assured that as soon as the complaints team have investigated into this they will contact you directly.

Thanks again,
Darren.
24.10.2018 13:58 #43
I currently have an uncleared cheque in my account, which I do not expect to clear for at least another 2 days. It's an insurance firm (RSA) cheque which is due to be paid to builders for work performed under a claim. They are wanting their money before clearance. Can I withdraw funds from an uncleared cheque without penalty, or can I go back to the builders and tell them they have to wait - no choice?

Thanks
Craig
24.10.2018 14:14 #44
Originally posted by craig1863
I currently have an uncleared cheque in my account, which I do not expect to clear for at least another 2 days. It's an insurance firm (RSA) cheque which is due to be paid to builders for work performed under a claim. They are wanting their money before clearance. Can I withdraw funds from an uncleared cheque without penalty, or can I go back to the builders and tell them they have to wait - no choice?

Thanks
Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. All cheques do need to be cleared before you have access to the funds. Please be advised that if it is a Bank of Ireland cheque this will be cleared within 3 working days however if the cheque is issued from another bank within the Republic of Ireland it can take up to 5 working days before the funds are cleared and available in your account.

Thanks Jen
24.01.2019 11:58 #45
I have a cheque from Red C Live that was issued just over 6 months ago. Have I left it too late to lodge it to my current account?
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video