72%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday – Friday 8am till 6pm
Saturday 8am till 1pm

Have a cheque or draft question?

27.06.2017 14:20 #1
Hi All,

We've been getting a few queries on cheques recently so we thought it would be useful to put up some general information about cheques and hopefully this can be some help to all of you.

Clearance times:
  • Cheques from the same branch that they are lodged can take up to two days.
  • Cheques from another Bank of Ireland branch can take up to three working days.
  • Cheques from any other Banks can take up to five working days.
  • Cheques from outside the Republic of Ireland may take longer.

Standard Cheques (Does not have an account payee only on cheque and is not crossed):[/font]
  • If the cheque is made out to one person it can be lodged into a joint account once it is endorsed (Endorsed means that the person who the cheque is made out to signs the back of the cheque and confirm the account number that the cheque is being lodged into).
  • The cheque can be lodged into a third party account once the cheque has been endorsed.
  • The cheque can only be cashed in the branch it was drawn on and you must have photo ID and all criteria must be met (ie cleared funds available, no stops and correctly signed and completed).

Crossed cheques (two parallel lines written or printed anywhere on the cheque):

• All rules would be the same as a Standard Cheque, Apart from it can only be lodged into an account and cannot be cashed in any branch of Bank of Ireland.

Account Payee only (This would be said after the payee name on the cheque):

• A cheque made payable to one person can be lodged in to a joint account once it has been endorsed by the person who the cheque is made payable too.
  • If the cheque is made payable to two people this will need to lodged to a joint account in both people's names.
  • The cheque cannot be lodged into a third party account (even if it is endorsed).
  • The cheque cannot be cashed in any branch.

Bank Drafts:
  • Bank Drafts must be lodged to accounts as if they are crossed cheques.
  • The clearance time for drafts is five working days.
Other questions:

• If you have a cheque in your married name and your account is in your maiden name, in most cases this can be lodged once the customer brings some Photo ID and their marriage certificate.
  • Social Welfare cheques can only be cashed in the Post Office (with a maximum amount of 1200.00). The sort code on these cheques do relate to O'Connell St but this is purely for processing reasons and these cheques cannot be cashed in this or any branch of Bank of Ireland.

If you have any further queries please get in contact with us here.

Thank you,

Darren.
2 thanks
29.06.2017 16:06 #2
Hi Darren
Can you tell if i can cancel a credit card payment i made today ????
30.06.2017 11:49 #3
Originally posted by briankell74
Hi Darren
Can you tell if i can cancel a credit card payment i made today ????

Hi briankell74,

Thanks for your message.

We have received your private message and answered this question there.

Thanks again,
Darren.
04.07.2017 14:12 #4
Hi,

Can you advice here. I will need to bring a bank draft for 11.500 euro to solicitor next Tuesday to cover rest of deposit sum of the purchase house.

Will there be any problem to do it in one go?
04.07.2017 16:43 #5
Originally posted by sabinalee
Hi,

Can you advice here. I will need to bring a bank draft for 11.500 euro to solicitor next Tuesday to cover rest of deposit sum of the purchase house.

Hi sabinalee,

Thanks for your message.

You don't need to order a Euro currency Bank Draft once the funds are available in your account you will be able to purchase this draft with a cashier in a branch of Bank of Ireland. I have given a link here that will give all the opening hours and cash service hours for any of our branches.

Thanks again,
Darren.
04.07.2017 17:12 #6
Originally posted by Bank of Ireland: Darren
Hi,

Hi sabinalee,

Thanks for your message.

You don't need to order a Euro currency Bank Draft once the funds are available in your account you will be able to purchase this draft with a cashier in a branch of Bank of Ireland. I have given a link here that will give all the opening hours and cash service hours for any of our branches.

Thanks again,
Darren.

Hi,

Can you tell me how much is the charge of the draft with this amount ?

Thank you
05.07.2017 10:01 #7
Originally posted by Bank of Ireland: Darren
Hi,

Hi sabinalee,

Thanks for your message.

Thanks again,
Darren.

Hi,

Can you tell me how much is the charge of the draft with this amount ?

Thank you

Hi sabinalee, the charge for a domestic bank draft is 2.40 each.

We've some more information on charges here.

Good luck with the new house :) and please let me know if you need anything else, thanks.
Nicola
06.07.2017 14:36 #8
Hi,

I lodged an endorsed cheque to my account 6 days ago through your lodgement machines but it is not showing up on my account. Its like it was never lodged but I have a receipt for it.
07.07.2017 10:59 #9
Originally posted by Mrsjo
Hi,

I lodged an endorsed cheque to my account 6 days ago through your lodgement machines but it is not showing up on my account. Its like it was never lodged but I have a receipt for it.

Hi Mrsjo,

Thanks for contacting us through Boards.

If the cheque has not shown in your account it may mean that there was an issue with the cheque. In the case the cheque would usually be sent back to the address registered on the account that was cheque was lodged to with a letter explaining why the it wasn't able to be lodged. If you have not received the cheque back in the post yet. Please raise this through the "Ask a question" section of your 365 online profile or call 0818 365 365 and the advisers in either of these sections will be able to have a further look into this for you.

Thanks again,
Darren.
16.08.2017 09:08 #10
Can I lodge a US Dollar cheque at an ATM?
16.08.2017 14:21 #11
Hi terenurebob,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

You will have to lodge it into your account.

Please see your nearest branch here.

Thanks

Kareana
06.09.2017 18:02 #12
Hi There,

I lodged a cheque via ATM last friday at around 4pm, the balance appeared immediately in the account however I realise I cannot access the funds until the cheque clears, my question is this, what is the absolute latest the funds will be accessible? will it be Friday or potentially Monday?

Many thanks,
R.
07.09.2017 12:12 #13
Originally posted by roryhayden
Hi There,

I lodged a cheque via ATM last friday at around 4pm, the balance appeared immediately in the account however I realise I cannot access the funds until the cheque clears, my question is this, what is the absolute latest the funds will be accessible? will it be Friday or potentially Monday?

Many thanks,
R.

Hi roryhayden,

Welcome to Boards, and thanks for your post.

As you lodged your cheque at the close of business on Friday, it may not have been sent for clearing until Monday.

It takes 3 - 5 full business days to clear on your account. You can check it on Friday, however the earliest we'd expect it to clear would be the following Monday.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks again,
Jane.
27.09.2017 11:48 #14
How much does it cost to cancel a cheque please?
27.09.2017 14:08 #15
Originally posted by lmahoney79
How much does it cost to cancel a cheque please?

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in contact with us here.

Can I ask if you are cancelling this cheque through a business account or a personal account?

Thanks again,
Darren.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image