Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

28 hrs
Response Time
82%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

Rip off competitions

06.05.2017 11:27 #1
Am absolutely disgusted at the rip off competitions coming through my daughters mobile.  Bought it yesterday and competition this morning (which she thought was a welcome to our network, win prizes for joining) did not state that it was a subscription for €7.50 weekly.  She got a text after to say this.  Am absolutely disgusted at this extortionate practice conning people out of their credit.  Tesco mobile should be ashamed of themselves.  I have spoken with a customer service agent who can't refund the credit and have emailed my complaint but wanted to put this on boards to let others know to be careful.  I am with another network and have never been subjected to this disgraceful carry on.
06.05.2017 11:30 #2
Did the competition come from Tesco mobile or did your daughter sign up for a premium text.

Cant blame Tesco mobile if your daughter signed up for a premium service.
06.05.2017 11:32 #3
Should get on to the regulator about it also. 
1 thank
06.05.2017 11:36 #4
Originally posted by 1moreyr
Am absolutely disgusted at the rip off competitions coming through my daughters mobile. Bought it yesterday and competition this morning (which she thought was a welcome to our network, win prizes for joining) did not state that it was a subscription for €7.50 weekly. She got a text after to say this. Am absolutely disgusted at this extortionate practice conning people out of their credit. Tesco mobile should be ashamed of themselves. I have spoken with a customer service agent who can't refund the credit and have emailed my complaint but wanted to put this on boards to let others know to be careful. I am with another network and have never been subjected to this disgraceful carry on.

I get them messages all the time, they are scams and as far as I know they ain't from Tescos
06.05.2017 11:38 #5
Other people have posted on this same issue elsewhere.

It's a scam but nothing to do with tesco mobile. I even had it pop up on my phone and I'm with emobile.

You need to contact talk to comreg
1 thank
06.05.2017 12:29 #6
She didn't sign up for any premium texts.  The customer service agent that I talked to by phoning the number on the text message said she would block any of those numbers so assumed I was talking to Tesco Mobile but will get on to them to double check.  I am with Meteor and have never had any of those texts
06.05.2017 12:45 #7
I googled it :(  My question is how is that the first text message she receives on a brand new phone with Tesco Mobile???
06.05.2017 12:50 #8
I googled it My question is how is that the first text message she receives on a brand new phone with Tesco Mobile???

Text the word STOP to the text number your daughter the original text form( texting stop also incurred a cost). Your daughter subscribed, more than likely unknown to herself. Tesco provides a service, it's up to users to be aware of potential costs incurred by their actions.
1 thank
06.05.2017 12:56 #9
I googled it :(  My question is how is that the first text message she receives on a brand new phone with Tesco Mobile???

It may be a reused number. Or the texter might simply be texting every number combination.
06.05.2017 14:18 #10
Originally posted by nhunter100

Text the word STOP to the text number your daughter the original text form( texting stop also incurred a cost). Your daughter subscribed, more than likely unknown to herself. Tesco provides a service, it's up to users to be aware of potential costs incurred by their actions.

I have stopped it and also went into our local Tesco to see what can be done.  The company that sends these texts uses the company logo and the brand of phone info to make the person believe that it is legit. I did check her phone before she entered to see if there was a charge and believed it to be free until we got the text message.  I went onto the communications regulators website and you can search the company through the text number.  The amount of things this company has on is frightening.  I don't know how they are allowed operate by falsely using other companies images and info???  I have to wait for a response from the company before reporting them to the communications regulator.

It does make me wonder how safe my daughters Tesco mobile is if the first thing that happens is a targeted scam with the specific phone brand info on the ad.
08.05.2017 11:43 #11
Hi 1moreyr,

As some of the other users here have advised, we are not running those competitions and your daughter might have accidentally signed up to a premium text service.

I would suggest to go onto the Communications Regulator website (comreg.ie) as there is a section there dedicated to premium texts and how to stop/report them.

We also have another thread open on this forum about this - http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057671152

Thanks
Elisa
08.05.2017 11:46 #12
She entered the competition, it's her fault for not reading the t and C's of it.

They make their money from 1 text, people cancel, rinse and repeat.
1 thank
08.05.2017 16:49 #13
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Elisa
Hi 1moreyr,

As some of the other users here have advised, we are not running those competitions and your daughter might have accidentally signed up to a premium text service.

I would suggest to go onto the Communications Regulator website (comreg.ie) as there is a section there dedicated to premium texts and how to stop/report them.

We also have another thread open on this forum about this - http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057671152

Thanks
Elisa

Thanks for your reply Elisa.

What I want to know is what are Tesco Mobile doing to protect their new mobile phone customers from this scam. As I stated earlier it was a new mobile phone and had just been topped up with credit.  First thing that comes up is a competition using Tesco logos and the specific brand of phone that was bought to trick us into thinking it is a welcome FREE competition for new users.

They are misusing your logo and targeting new customers which is potentially very damaging to your brand.  Can't you prosecute them for using your logos/images etc?  We even got texts from them with offers from Tesco.
08.05.2017 16:52 #14
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Elisa
Hi 1moreyr,

Thanks
Elisa

Thanks for your reply Elisa.

What I want to know is what are Tesco Mobile doing to protect their new mobile phone customers from this scam. As I stated earlier it was a new mobile phone and had just been topped up with credit.  First thing that comes up is a competition using Tesco logos and the specific brand of phone that was bought to trick us into thinking it is a welcome FREE competition for new users.

They are misusing your logo and targeting new customers which is potentially very damaging to your brand.  Can't you prosecute them for using your logos/images etc?  We even got texts from them with offers from Tesco.

Nothing.

Why should they? It's appsolutely nothing to do with them, put it down to experience and teach your child some responsibilty instead of looking to blame others.
08.05.2017 17:02 #15
Originally posted by davo2001

Why should they? It's appsolutely nothing to do with them, put it down to experience and teach your child some responsibilty instead of looking to blame others.

That's a bit unfair. Many people would not be aware about cold calling, or texts. or number re-use. They wouldn't be expecting it on a new number. 
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon