At Gas Networks Ireland, safety is the top priority. Here are some safety recommendations about what to do if you ever smell gas in your home:
- Ensure that all gas appliances are turned off and have not been left on and unlit.
- Do not smoke or use a naked flame.
- Do not unplug or switch anything electrical on OR off.
- Open all windows and doors.
- If the gas smell persists, turn off the gas at the meter. See our how-to video below or read the guide here.
- Then call our 24 HOUR EMERGENCY LINE on 1850 20 50 50. If you cannot get through, dial 999 or 112. Do not use a phone in the immediate area of the leak, use a neighbour's phone or call from outside of the house. In the interests of public safety all emergency calls are recorded.