Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

SSE Airtricity Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday - Sunday 10am to 6pm

Why I'm probably leaving SSE.

21.03.2017 10:55 #1
I've been a customer since 2008. Never had an issue.

A huge bill arrived recently. Well over 2 x the regular amount. I queried it and have set up a short term payment plan to cover it. 

Reasons for the big bill were estimated readings (usage hasn't changed at all so the estimates were wrong) and more significantly it emerged that my contract had ended getting on for 2 years ago.

They were quick to offer a 20% discount for future bills, but wouldn't review the historical ones. The attitude seems to be "it's your job to renegotiate your contract, and if you don't contact us we'll hit you with our rather expensive standard rates". That's no way to treat a good customer.

Customers should be proactively contacted before the expiry of their contracts in my view.

A quick look at Bonkers showed that I could get a 24% discount elsewhere and SSE said they couldn't match it. So SSE are getting basically overpaid for the last 2 years by me, but they're probably losing a good and loyal customer.
21.03.2017 11:20 #2
I was with Energia and got exactly the same treatment.

You really need to be aware of exactly when you signed up and then cancel and move at the end of the term

They all know that's a hassle for us and most of us  forget to check, and they just up you to their standard/highest tarriffs.

My motto; Keep moving to get the best rates.
1 thank
21.03.2017 11:24 #3
Hey guys, 

Just came across this thread and thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

This sort of situation has come up on numerous boards, including Sky, Meteor, and Virgin.

No matter which provider you are on, by majority, you will never be contacted when your contract is up. The way to look at this is your 12 month contract is separate to your 12 months discount rate. It is coincidental you get both for the same time. So when your discount rate you get is up after 12 months, then your discount rate does not apply anymore. This is the same for most providers as I have said, ESB also being one of them. Sky also do this, in some cases your bill doubles. But factually speaking, they can and are allowed do this as they have no obligation to contact you.

Is this morally the right way for a company to do this, probably not. But it certainly isn't an SSE thing, it appears for most companies out there.

Also you have to add, by you being a loyal customer, their financial department clearly did the numbers, and you paying 20% more over two years than perhaps you could have paid, they have made more profit from you than they would have with the 20% over say, 5 years. So sad to say, they didn't really loose much when they loose you. It's a logical answer to why companies don't change some practices, in most cases it is financially better for them
2 thanks
21.03.2017 11:34 #4
Two very valid points. I certainly should have been much quicker to renegotiate my deal.

The thing is if I'd been treated properly I'd have probably stayed with SSE for decades. I'm reviewing my options now.

It'd be great to get a view on all this from an SSE rep.  
1 thank
21.03.2017 11:35 #5
Originally posted by Henry Ford III
I've been a customer since 2008. Never had an issue.

A huge bill arrived recently. Well over 2 x the regular amount. I queried it and have set up a short term payment plan to cover it. 

Reasons for the big bill were estimated readings (usage hasn't changed at all so the estimates were wrong) and more significantly it emerged that my contract had ended getting on for 2 years ago.

They were quick to offer a 20% discount for future bills, but wouldn't review the historical ones. The attitude seems to be "it's your job to renegotiate your contract, and if you don't contact us we'll hit you with our rather expensive standard rates". That's no way to treat a good customer.

Customers should be proactively contacted before the expiry of their contracts in my view.

A quick look at Bonkers showed that I could get a 24% discount elsewhere and SSE said they couldn't match it. So SSE are getting basically overpaid for the last 2 years by me, but they're probably losing a good and loyal customer.

Hi Henry,

Sorry to hear that this happened.

Can you please PM me with your account number and I can certainly look into this for you?

Thanks
SSE Digital Team
1 thank
21.03.2017 11:39 #6
Done Liam. Thanks for replying.
21.03.2017 12:34 #7
To be fair Liam tried but couldn't do anything to help the situation.

I asked them to match the 24% discount, and install a Climote meter gratis to make up for lost ground (since Dec 2014!).

No dice, so I'm now off elsewhere for my electricity.

HFIII.
1 thank
29.03.2017 22:42 #8
You really need to switch energy providers every year. It's the only way. And it's really not that much hassle if you do it through a switching site like Bonkers - they do all the heavy lifting
2 thanks
13.04.2017 13:25 #9
Swapping energy suppliers is something I do every year, the energy companies show no loyalty to me as a customer in offering discounts that are competitive in the market so I change to get the best prices. I don't understand why more customers don't do it, €300-€400 a year is better in my pocket than in the energy companies. 
All the fears about possible loss of service etc is total nonsense.
2 thanks
13.04.2017 13:39 #10
Originally posted by Dr_Bill
Swapping energy suppliers is something I do every year, the energy companies show no loyalty to me as a customer in offering discounts that are competitive in the market so I change to get the best prices. I don't understand why more customers don't do it, €300-€400 a year is better in my pocket than in the energy companies. 

Exactly. 

Companies don't need to show loyalty. They have the algorithms, the metrics and the brain power to know that loyalty does not bring profits.

Profits are mainly made in areas where the customer is not getting the best deal. If the customer is getting the best deal, the company isn't maximizing the return.

Hence why introductory offers are just that - Companies are reducing their margins to get you in and eventually you pay the rate they want to charge.

To expect any company to retain you is nonsense, it's sole purpose is profits.

Look at three, everyone saying three must be really loosing out here, but to them, the math could still be better to loose customers and the majority to stay paying the higher rate in return for the free roaming they must offer. clearly the math works out. Why do you think most companies don't reward loyalty? It doesn't pay. Companies are not human.

Sky are known for ridiculous ways to retain you as a customer but often it means their profits suffer. So recently they have stopped doing this as aggressive. The only company that seems to defy this logic is Apple. Many studies have been done on why that is though.
19.04.2017 21:52 #11
Originally posted by Dr_Bill

Likewise last year I was offered a lower rate when my contract was up but when I rang them to advise that this not match the lowest rate online they matched this
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video