Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Tesco Mobile Representatives

10 hrs
Response Time
60%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 8:00pm

Is this really happening?

27.04.2016 12:48 #1
Category Moderator
Was contacted by a very upset friend today who has recently been very ill and is still in the 'attending hospital appointments' phase.

Her doctor and some other friends informed her they were having difficulty contacting her on her Tesco Mobile PAYG. She got on to Tesco mobile who told her her account had been randomly selected 'for security purposes' and until she sent them a scan of her passport they would not reconnect her. She explained to a person named 'Con' (appropriately enough) in Customer Service in Waterford that she often gets short notice of an available slot for treatment and has to be ready to go. He refused to let her speak to someone higher up the line. She has had no notice of any of this in writing.

Can you tell me ...
a) is this a scam or actually something Tesco Mobile do? Cut paying customers off for no reason?
b) can she be reconnected IMMEDIATELY pending the sending of the passport scan?
c) She owes Tesco no money whatsoever as she is PAYG, what justification is there for treating her like this?
28 thanks
27.04.2016 14:06 #2
Originally posted by spurious
Was contacted by a very upset friend today who has recently been very ill and is still in the 'attending hospital appointments' phase.

Her doctor and some other friends informed her they were having difficulty contacting her on her Tesco Mobile PAYG. She got on to Tesco mobile who told her her account had been randomly selected 'for security purposes' and until she sent them a scan of her passport they would not reconnect her. She explained to a person named 'Con' (appropriately enough) in Customer Service in Waterford that she often gets short notice of an available slot for treatment and has to be ready to go. He refused to let her speak to someone higher up the line. She has had no notice of any of this in writing.

Can you tell me ...
a) is this a scam or actually something Tesco Mobile do? Cut paying customers off for no reason?
b) can she be reconnected IMMEDIATELY pending the sending of the passport scan?
c) She owes Tesco no money whatsoever as she is PAYG, what justification is there for treating her like this?

Hi spurious,

I'm sorry to hear of the inconvenience caused by this. In order to maintain the security of all of our customers, we do regularly perform routine security checks. Once the customer in question has provided the proofs requested by our Security department, we can have the account unsuspended promptly, but we can only discuss exact information regarding this matter with the account holder.

As I have already advised, such procedures are carried out to maintain the security of all Tesco Mobile customers, both prepay and billpay. Suspension due to a general security check would not be a supervisor issue, and our Customer Security team are a back office team who do not speak directly with customers. Our Customer Care representatives are trained in dealing with and advising on such issues.

If the customer wishes to contact us directly to discuss her account further, we can be PMed on our Tesco Mobile: Reps page by clicking here - LINK!

Regards,
Shauna
27.04.2016 14:08 #3
Originally posted by Tesco Mobile: Shauna
Hi spurious,

I'm sorry to hear of the inconvenience caused by this. In order to maintain the security of all of our customers, we do regularly perform routine security checks. Once the customer in question has provided the proofs requested by our Security department, we can have the account unsuspended promptly, but we can only discuss exact information regarding this matter with the account holder.

As I have already advised, such procedures are carried out to maintain the security of all Tesco Mobile customers, both prepay and billpay. Suspension due to a general security check would not be a supervisor issue, and our Customer Security team are a back office team who do not speak directly with customers. Our Customer Care representatives are trained in dealing with and advising on such issues.

If the customer wishes to contact us directly to discuss her account further, we can be PMed on our Tesco Mobile: Reps page by clicking here - LINK!

Regards,
Shauna

That is utterly absurd. The day a company demands a scan of my passport out of the blue is the day they lose me as a customer for life.
312 thanks
27.04.2016 14:09 #4
That's pretty low Tesco. I fell foul of their security team also when I wanted to order a replacement sim. Wanted copies of passports etc. Didn't bother in the end, but that team's communication skills leave a lot to be desired. 
15 thanks
27.04.2016 14:50 #5
Originally posted by Zillah
Hi spurious,

Regards,
Shauna

That is utterly absurd. The day a company demands a scan of my passport out of the blue is the day they lose me as a customer for life.

Originally posted by MarkR
That's pretty low Tesco. I fell foul of their security team also when I wanted to order a replacement sim. Wanted copies of passports etc. Didn't bother in the end, but that team's communication skills leave a lot to be desired. 

Hi Zillah and MarkR,

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experiences with Tesco Mobile. I hope you will give us another chance to prove to you that we are dedicated to providing excellent customer service.

As I have previously advised, this is a routine security procedure in order to maintain the security on each and every one of our customer's accounts.

Regards,
Shauna
27.04.2016 15:56 #6
Category Moderator
I will try and contact her - it's difficult, because somebody blocked her effin' mobile!!!

Do your customer people not live in the real world?

Can I suggest in future, if someone is lucky enough to be selected for these security measures, you contact them IN WRITING along the lines of 'If we do not receive these 'proofs' within 30 days, you will be disconnected', not disconnect them and ask later!

Does this strike any of your highly trained CS agents as perhaps a more sensible way to carry on?
186 thanks
27.04.2016 15:59 #7
Report them to comreg and also the data protection office as the passport is not required legally for prepay nor is is asked for when first setting up the prepay phone.

Also just leave them once you've made the complaints.
126 thanks
27.04.2016 16:18 #8
This Beggars Belief WOW! TESCO WOW!
41 thanks
27.04.2016 16:27 #9
Category Moderator
I of course was unable to contact her, but have spoken to a mutual friend. The lady in question has been really upset, as she is rather frail and afraid now to go anywhere since she cannot contact anyone in an emergency. Another friend is going to accompany her to one of the Carphone Warehouse places and get her onto a suitable plan with a sensible company.

The same woman, no more than some of my elderly relatives, would have next nor no notion of what a scan of her passport is, much less how to acquire one. The world is not inhabited by tech-savvy under 50s. I wish mobile phone companies would realise this.
69 thanks
27.04.2016 16:30 #10
I will try and contact her - it's difficult, because somebody blocked her effin' mobile!!!

Do your customer people not live in the real world?

Can I suggest in future, if someone is lucky enough to be selected for these security measures, you contact them IN WRITING along the lines of 'If we do not receive these 'proofs' within 30 days, you will be disconnected', not disconnect them and ask later!

Does this strike any of your highly trained CS agents as perhaps a more sensible way to carry on?

Hi Spurious,

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass this on to my supervisor for discussion. As I have already advised, we will discuss this further with the customer who is actually experiencing this issue.

I understand that you may be frustrated with our procedures, but this is Tesco Mobile policy. I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Regards,
Shauna
27.04.2016 16:38 #11
Funny that about your security checks on PAYG. YOU(Tesco) allowed / enabled the theft of my number from Vodafone in December by someone, didn't complete the proper verifications to make sure the person had possession of my number and ported it out from Vodafone to Tesco who in turn ported it to Meteor. I contacted Comreg and lodged an official complaint with Meteor and Comreg and turned out it was Tesco who initiated the port after ye telling me it wasn't on Tesco at any point. I hope for this lady she ports out to Meteor or Vodafone and has better luck going forward!!
16 thanks
27.04.2016 16:48 #12
Contract is up with 3 next month. Was looking to switch. Think I'll avoid this network cheers for the heads up!!!
51 thanks
27.04.2016 16:52 #13
I'm sorry to hear about your negative experiences with Tesco Mobile. I hope you will give us another chance to prove to you that we are dedicated to providing excellent customer service.

As I have previously advised, this is a routine security procedure in order to maintain the security on each and every one of our customer's accounts.

Regards,
Shauna

This is not a routine security procedure.
She did not need to provide this information when she bought the sim card (AFIK).
You can buy a new sim card in any Tesco, without requiring ID.
You have hijacked this woman's phone and she is unable to use it.
You are not sorry - if you (as a representative of Tesco) were actually sorry, you would not be enforcing these strong arm tactics on customers.

If this was a routine security procedure, you would have required her to register the sim card when it was bought.
If it was a routine security procedure, you could call her phone and ask to verify her personal details.

This procedure does not maintain the security of this woman's account - her account has been hijacked, by you, Tesco Mobile, and you are holding her to ransom until she delivers documents you are not entitled to, nor is she obliged to give.

Disgraceful behaviour from Tesco.
126 thanks
27.04.2016 17:13 #14
I of course was unable to contact her, but have spoken to a mutual friend. The lady in question has been really upset, as she is rather frail and afraid now to go anywhere since she cannot contact anyone in an emergency. Another friend is going to accompany her to one of the Carphone Warehouse places and get her onto a suitable plan with a sensible company.

The same woman, no more than some of my elderly relatives, would have next nor no notion of what a scan of her passport is, much less how to acquire one. The world is not inhabited by tech-savvy under 50s. I wish mobile phone companies would realise this.

Hi Spurious,

Once again, my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience or confusion caused by this. As previously advised, this is a security procedure implemented by our Customer Security team. These procedures are to maintain security on all customer's accounts. I'm sorry to hear that the customer in question is considering switching networks. Unfortunately, we would only be able to resolve the current issue if the requested information is provided.

Regards,
Shauna
27.04.2016 17:18 #15
Category Moderator
I understand this Shauna and I understand you are only following orders (as they say) but it's a really bad way to run a company. I feel sorry for CS agents who have to defend the indefensible. This isn't exclusive to Tesco. Her confidence that her phone would work if she needed it to in an emergency has been shot.

I will advise her to go elsewhere. I just hope there isn't a mess up porting her number to the new company.
13 thanks
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon