Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Social Democrats Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Thursdays 15:00 - 16:00

Special criminal court

23.02.2016 18:40 #1
What is your stance on the special criminal court? I have seen that Catherine Murphy is in favour of abolishing it. Is this the party line?
24.02.2016 15:30 #2
The King of Rabbits
I would also be very interested to know this.
24.02.2016 18:57 #3
Ultra Running Mod
Also interested in this,
24.02.2016 20:08 #4
While we would aspire to abolish the Special Criminal Court, we understand that in the current circumstances this is not possible. The word 'special' in the name of the court suggests that it is not supposed to be there as a permanent feature, but it will be unless we change how we support the Garda Siochana. We need to start picking up criminality at a lower level, by maximising the use of new systems to support investigation of crime and by having a more consistent approach to the recording/classification/detection of crimes. We also support investing in modern IT systems, developing new in-service training programs, deploying personnel based on crime statistics and demographic changes, and ensuring that Gardai deployments can support wide scale adoption of a Community Policing model.
24.02.2016 20:34 #5
The King of Rabbits
Originally posted by Social Democrats: Gill
While we would aspire to abolish the Special Criminal Court, we understand that in the current circumstances this is not possible. The word 'special' in the name of the court suggests that it is not supposed to be there as a permanent feature, but it will be unless we change how we support the Garda Siochana. We need to start picking up criminality at a lower level, by maximising the use of new systems to support investigation of crime and by having a more consistent approach to the recording/classification/detection of crimes. We also support investing in modern IT systems, developing new in-service training programs, deploying personnel based on crime statistics and demographic changes, and ensuring that Gardai deployments can support wide scale adoption of a Community Policing model.

Thanks for responding Gill.  I'm far from an expert, but it was my understanding that the SCC was formed to deal with very high-level crimes - terrorism and organized crime.  Aren't most of those things related to as you say, lower level matters?  Perhaps I am being short-sighted.
1 thank
24.02.2016 20:45 #6
Sorry if I was unclear. What I meant was if we can tackle the lower level of crimes before they develop into serious organised crime then this would eventually remove the need for the Special Criminal Court.
24.02.2016 20:47 #7
Sorry if I was unclear. What I meant was if we can tackle the lower level of crimes before they develop into serious organised crime then this would eventually remove the need for the Special Criminal Court.

How do you reckon that then?
3 thanks
24.02.2016 20:51 #8

The trouble is, we already have high level drug and Organised crime in situ. These are a self replicating catogary of crime, so by extension there will be a need for the SCC into the forseable future.
1 thank
25.02.2016 22:47 #9
Can't see the logic in the Soc Dem reply here. Surely then if we demolish our prisons we will no longer have any crime? Am disappointed to hear that response
1 thank
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon