Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Virgin Media Ireland Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 12pm-3pm.

Netflix Issues

11.01.2016 22:41 #16
Originally posted by Sad Professor
I've been experiencing similar issues for the last couple of months as well, but it's become very bad in the last week. Seems like overzealous traffic shaping. 

Same problem here as well.
3 thanks
11.01.2016 23:38 #17
same issue here on 240Mb and i have been in contact with Netflix and was told it is the ISP that is causing the drop. I can only get 480p, for the last 2 months I used to get 1080p.not to mention my speed is never near 200 unless it is 5.0 Am!
2 thanks
11.01.2016 23:50 #18
Originally posted by kamin99
same issue here on 240Mb and i have been in contact with Netflix and was told it is the ISP that is causing the drop. I can only get 480p, for the last 2 months I used to get 1080p.not to mention my speed is never near 200 unless it is 5.0 Am!

Same issue here
3 thanks
12.01.2016 07:44 #19
Originally posted by the1andonly1

Same issue here

Got up to 720p after they upgraded my firmware last night, not sure if it was coincidence or not.
12.01.2016 08:41 #20
Originally posted by Staplor
Originally posted by the1andonly1

Same issue here

Got up to 720p after they upgraded my firmware last night, not sure if it was coincidence or not.

I doubt that the issue is anything to do with local hardware.

I tested with my VPN off and on again last night watching Jessica Jones in 4K. Was getting maximum 480p (even 288p at times). Once I connected to my VPN it jumped right up to 2160p after a few seconds.

@Brian, the evidence is building that this is indeed an issue on the VM side. Can we have this investigated?
1 thank
12.01.2016 11:11 #21
Same problem for past few months, but especially bad for last week or so.

I am capable of setting up proxy for netflix (and even have a place to do so), but I probably won't bother and will just switch to Magnet or Vodafone if Virgin does not sort out their peering.

I've also noticed generally, despite advertised 120, 240 and not 360 connection speeds I rarely get anything close to real websites out there. Which indicates that Virgin's network cannot actually keep up with demand. What's the point of 360 Mbit when you connection will be limited upstream to maybe 20?
All these speeds are just marketing BS.
3 thanks
12.01.2016 11:16 #22
I'm having the same issue recently. Couldn't even watch netflix on saturday night. 

Last night i couldn't even get to 480p, completely pixelated. 

Tried a few things, hardwired connection, resetting settings...no joy. 
3 thanks
12.01.2016 11:39 #23
Originally posted by lee_baby_simms
I'm having the same issue recently. Couldn't even watch netflix on saturday night. 

Last night i couldn't even get to 480p, completely pixelated. 

Tried a few things, hardwired connection, resetting settings...no joy. 

Same issue for me.
2 thanks
12.01.2016 12:23 #24
With headline grabbing 360Mb speeds, Isn't 4th place not a bit embarrassing VM?

Netflix ISP Comparison for Ireland

Adrian.
6 thanks
12.01.2016 12:23 #25
i been having a similar issue the last couple of nights on my xbox one which is wired to the modem

it will take a long time to buffer and then be low quality and sometimes buffer every couple of minutes very annoying.
started happening to me on Sunday night before then i had no issues.

this happened some time back and i believe it was a routing issue of some sort due to a router failing somewhere
it was sorted in a week or two which i would assume is because the faulty unit was replaced
2 thanks
12.01.2016 12:29 #26
I Imagine it's a similar problem this time too. It's embarrassing they're claiming there's no problems with their broadband service when there's alot of us here experiencing the same issue.

Originally posted by dunworth1
i been having a similar issue the last couple of nights on my xbox one which is wired to the modem

it will take a long time to buffer and then be low quality and sometimes buffer every couple of minutes very annoying.
started happening to me on Sunday night before then i had no issues.

this happened some time back and i believe it was a routing issue of some sort due to a router failing somewhere it was sorted in a week or two which i would assume is because the faulty unit was replaced
1 thank
12.01.2016 12:33 #27
Originally posted by adrian.s
With headline grabbing 360Mb speeds, Isn't 4th place not a bit embarrassing VM?

Netflix ISP Comparison for Ireland

Adrian.

Interesting how VM (bar Digiweb) are the only ones that have dropped in speed...
1 thank
12.01.2016 13:16 #28
Hi Folks, 

Just to repeat, we don't have any logged issues with Netflix services over our connections.

The OP's issue here seems to be that...

- Netflix streaming is the only aspect effected
- Speed tests are showing full bandwidth
- No other service issues such as intermittent connection are seen
- The issue is apparent on wired and wireless connection methods
- VPN use over the same set up resolves the issue

Now, keeping those in mind, if anyone is seeing the same issue with the same symptoms list as this just live chat with us here: bit.ly/13HcKlI , we'll take your account info, test the connection to verify there are no signal issues (which there shouldn't be as no other web services are affected) and we'll have this looked into.

Thanks.
12.01.2016 13:29 #29
Well, could you please log a new issue with Netflix streaming?

Post #14 in this thread clearly indicates what problem is. It also explains why netflix in particular will be affected.
There's no point in testing connection: connection between customers and Virgin is fine, it's connection between Virgin and Netflix is the source of the problem. Chat and testing for 'signal issues' would be a waste of time.

Can you please pass problem explained in post #14 to somebody who understands how Internet routing works?
10 thanks
12.01.2016 13:37 #30
Hi Brian,

Perhaps it's time to log an issue as many of us are having this problem.

And I am having signal issues as well as my broadband has not worked properly in over a week. I would estimate it is down 80% of the time and up 20%.

I am in work at the moment so live chat is useless as I will not be able to verify if my broadband is presently up or down.

Originally posted by Virgin Media: Brian
Hi Folks, 

Just to repeat, we don't have any logged issues with Netflix services over our connections.

we'll take your account info, test the connection to verify there are no signal issues (which there shouldn't be as no other web services are affected) and we'll have this looked into.

Thanks.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon