Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Electric Ireland Representatives

6 hrs
Response Time
100%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 8am - 6pm
(excluding public holidays)

Nest

09.12.2015 11:20 #1
Hi,

We are not currently with EI and are looking to switch to avail of the Nest installation offer. I just want to find out if the Nest option would work in our home.

We have a bungalow with radiators in each room. We have oil fired central heating on an on/off/timer with no thermostat. We have open fires in two rooms, one of which is the main living room. The only local control in each room is by having the radiator on or off when the central heating is on.

The oil fired boiler can heat the hot water system but there is no separate circuit to heat the water without heating the central heating system also (other than turning off the radiators locally). There is a back boiler on one of the fires which contributes to the hot water only. There is also an immersion heater for the hot water system.
The on/off/timer switch and hot water immersion heater are in the living room with one of the fires.

Would the third generation nest be able to control the hot water as described above or would additional hardware be required to separate the space heating and hot water circuits? Would the Nest be able to control the water heating from the immersion?

I would be very grateful if you could provide an answer on whether the Nest would work in our home or let me know if you need additional information.

Hank
09.12.2015 14:55 #2
Hi Hank,

Thanks for interest in the Nest Thermostat.

From what you've said above, it does seem as though the Nest would be compatible with your existing system.

Generally, there are two main factors that may result in incompatibility:

1) The system requires high-current switching.

While most heating systems are high voltage (usually 230 V), they usually only use a little bit of current at a time (up to 3 A). However, some systems that are high voltage use a higher current (sometimes as high as 16 A or more); for example, electric radiators or electric underfloor systems. Thermostats are designed to handle either low current or high current. The Nest Thermostat only supports low-current systems, as they are by far the most common.

2) The system requires a proprietary thermostat.

Proprietary systems only work with thermostats made by their manufacturer, since they communicate using a private protocol.

Originally posted by Heartbreak Hank
Would the third generation nest be able to control the hot water as described above or would additional hardware be required to separate the space heating and hot water circuits? Would the Nest be able to control the water heating from the immersion?


The 3rd-gen Nest Thermostat should be able to control your hot water. It works with on/off hot water tanks, OpenTherm-compatible system boilers and OpenTherm-compatible combi boilers.

However, to fully determine compatibility, an appointment would be scheduled for an installer to visit your home at a time convenient to you, once you have ordered the Nest.

For more information see here. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
David
10.12.2015 10:38 #3
Originally posted by Electric Ireland: David
Hi Hank,

Thanks for interest in the Nest Thermostat.

From what you've said above, it does seem as though the Nest would be compatible with your existing system.

Generally, there are two main factors that may result in incompatibility:

1) The system requires high-current switching.

While most heating systems are high voltage (usually 230 V), they usually only use a little bit of current at a time (up to 3 A). However, some systems that are high voltage use a higher current (sometimes as high as 16 A or more); for example, electric radiators or electric underfloor systems. Thermostats are designed to handle either low current or high current. The Nest Thermostat only supports low-current systems, as they are by far the most common.

2) The system requires a proprietary thermostat.

Proprietary systems only work with thermostats made by their manufacturer, since they communicate using a private protocol.

Originally posted by Heartbreak Hank
Would the third generation nest be able to control the hot water as described above or would additional hardware be required to separate the space heating and hot water circuits? Would the Nest be able to control the water heating from the immersion?


The 3rd-gen Nest Thermostat should be able to control your hot water. It works with on/off hot water tanks, OpenTherm-compatible system boilers and OpenTherm-compatible combi boilers.

However, to fully determine compatibility, an appointment would be scheduled for an installer to visit your home at a time convenient to you, once you have ordered the Nest.

For more information see here. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
David

That's great, David. Thanks for the info. I will give EI a call to order.
10.12.2015 11:25 #4
Hi Hank,

You're very welcome.

If you have any other queries please let us know.

Thanks,
Brige

________
27.01.2020 20:44 #5
Hi hank, 

Did you get it installed with the back boiler in place? 
28.01.2020 07:56 #6
Originally posted by KaWinNee
Hi hank, 

Did you get it installed with the back boiler in place? 

No. Didn't go with it in the end. Separately, had to get the back boiler taken out as it was leaking.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video
Remove Formatting
View source
Please Log In or Sign Up to join the discussion