Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Virgin Media Ireland Representatives

22 hrs
Response Time
95%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 12pm-3pm.

Do you supply modems as an alternative to wifi routers?

16.12.2014 13:57 #1
Hi,
I have a Cisco 3295 router, which I have to use in bridge mode with my own router to get a reliable full speed (120Mb) connection (no more Netflix or Youtube dropouts since I did this).

The Cisco consumes 10W, even when not in used. This compares to less than 1W for my own router. It might not sound like much but lots of devices around the house add up and I’m trying to minimise this. Does UPC have a power efficient modem only alternative to the Cisco and other modem/ router combos?

Thanks,

HM
1 thank
16.12.2014 14:02 #2
Verified representative
Originally posted by Hector Mildew
Hi,
I have a Cisco 3295 router, which I have to use in bridge mode with my own router to get a reliable full speed (120Mb) connection (no more Netflix or Youtube dropouts since I did this).

The Cisco consumes 10W, even when not in used. This compares to less than 1W for my own router. It might not sound like much but lots of devices around the house add up and I’m trying to minimise this. Does UPC have a power efficient modem only alternative to the Cisco and other modem/ router combos?

Thanks,

HM

Hi Hector Mildew, 

Our current modems which we supply are the Horizon set top box and the TC7200 modem. These do not have an active bridging mode available but we'll pass on your feedback regarding this and the power consumption also. 

Thanks. 
2 thanks
16.12.2014 15:41 #3
Originally posted by UPC: Brian
Hi,

Thanks,

HM

Hi Hector Mildew, 

Our current modems which we supply are the Horizon set top box and the TC7200 modem. These do not have an active bridging mode available but we'll pass on your feedback regarding this and the power consumption also. 

Thanks. 

Thanks for your reply Brian.
17.12.2014 09:16 #4
Sorry to hijack this thread but I completely agree with Hecter Mildew on this. It would be nice to have more control over the power consumption of our home networking. Gas/Electricity companies recognise that users care about this kind of thing (e.g. offering NEST products to their customers) and so should UPC.

I agree that it's a pity there isn't a simple low power modem available... It's also annoying that bridge mode isn't properly supported by UPC Ireland (other than for business customers) as it is with UPC customers in other countries. There's a workaround with the Cisco modem but as Hecter Mildew notes, the power consumption is considerable...
2 thanks
17.12.2014 13:05 #5
Verified representative
Originally posted by cjlawlor
Sorry to hijack this thread but I completely agree with Hecter Mildew on this. It would be nice to have more control over the power consumption of our home networking. Gas/Electricity companies recognise that users care about this kind of thing (e.g. offering NEST products to their customers) and so should UPC.

I agree that it's a pity there isn't a simple low power modem available... It's also annoying that bridge mode isn't properly supported by UPC Ireland (other than for business customers) as it is with UPC customers in other countries. There's a workaround with the Cisco modem but as Hecter Mildew notes, the power consumption is considerable...

Thanks for the feedback on both these topics cjlawlor, it's very much appreciated and we'll pass this on for you now.    
1 thank
16.07.2019 12:04 #6
So, nearly five years later and plenty time to consider feedback ðŸ˜႒ Are there any plans to provide power efficient hardware (ideally modem only)?
17.07.2019 13:14 #7
Verified representative
So, nearly five years later and plenty time to consider feedback  ðŸ˜႒ Are there any plans to provide power efficient hardware (ideally modem only)?

Hi Hector Mildew,

Afraid not. The current modem we offer would use a very similar power profile of 11 watts. 

We work with equipment manufacturers to ensure our hardware features are top notch and a lot of that is driven directly by the wants and needs of our customers. An example of that being when we launched one of the first ISP supplied A/C class WiFi modem routers in Ireland.

As it stands higher than normal power efficiency simply isn't high up on the list of requested features from the majority of our customer base.

If there are any changes to the hardware lineup though we'll let you know.

Thanks
1 thank
17.07.2019 23:03 #8
Originally posted by Virgin Media: Brian
So, nearly five years later and plenty time to consider feedback  ðŸ˜႒ Are there any plans to provide power efficient hardware (ideally modem only)?

Hi Hector Mildew,

Afraid not. The current modem we offer would use a very similar power profile of 11 watts. 

We work with equipment manufacturers to ensure our hardware features are top notch and a lot of that is driven directly by the wants and needs of our customers. An example of that being when we launched one of the first ISP supplied A/C class WiFi modem routers in Ireland.

As it stands higher than normal power efficiency simply isn't high up on the list of requested features from the majority of our customer base.

If there are any changes to the hardware lineup though we'll let you know.

Thanks

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your reply.

I wouldn't expect that power efficiency would be high on the list of features requested by name but it should still be considered as good hardware design. Less power use means less waste heat leading to improved reliability and overall performance (which I imagine are high on the priority list for most customers).

Maybe in another 5 years :D
19.07.2019 12:53 #9
Verified representative

I wouldn't expect that power efficiency would be high on the list of features requested by name but it should still be considered as good hardware design. Less power use means less waste heat leading to improved reliability and overall performance (which I imagine are high on the priority list for most customers).

No problem at all. If you need any more info just let us know.

Thanks
20.07.2019 20:16 #10

They're fairly aggressive now with the modem replacements. They want the old standards ones gone and prompt. What started out as a polite offering is now a matter of them phoning to say it's being sent, and your old one is being disabled.

Still at least the Compal one does offer a properly supported modem option. Which is just as well given that it lacks even basic functionality. And I spent the afternoon learning this the hard way.

You might as well bite the bullet now, put it in modem option with a proper router and be done with it.
1 thank
21.07.2019 01:09 #11
Originally posted by Spear

They're fairly aggressive now with the modem replacements. They want the old standards ones gone and prompt. What started out as a polite offering is now a matter of them phoning to say it's being sent, and your old one is being disabled.

Still at least the Compal one does offer a properly supported modem option. Which is just as well given that it lacks even basic functionality. And I spent the afternoon learning this the hard way.

You might as well bite the bullet now, put it in modem option with a proper router and be done with it.

Can't say I noticed an aggressive uprade strategy. I updated to the latest hub (at the time at least) five years ago to take advantage of the speed updates at the time. I asked the original question just before my upgade.

I have my own network and wifi in place and so only require the modem features of the hub. My wifi router consumes less that 5 watts but the hub consumes more than double that whether in bridge or router mode. Its not a massive amount of power but with so may always on devices it adds up...
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video