Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Adverts.ie Representatives

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5.30pm

Scammed on adverts.ie

10.12.2014 04:04 #1
Hi all just last week I paid 600euro outright for an iPhone 6 on adverts.ie from a user with 5 or 6 positive feedback thinking it was genuine, however after about 2 days of owning the phone it suddenly lost all service and when I brought it to meteor they told me the phone is blacklisted, I explained my situation and showed them the receipt I got from the seller but they said "there is nothing we can do", I also rang Apple and they said the same. The phone was sealed when I bought it with a receipt and looks like I am now down 600euro just before Christmas.

Is there anything at all I can do about this? Have any of you ever had a similar situation?

Note: I have informed adverts and the sellers account was suspended.
Also I paid in cash in hand.

Also please don't give me the whole "should have bought it in a shop" malark, I know that now... I have bought and sold a lot of phones on adverts before without a hiccup until now.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated cheers.

Brian
10.12.2014 04:05 #2
Perhaps you should post this in the adverts.ie section rather than in the Apple section.
10.12.2014 04:06 #3
Originally posted by dorro6391
Hi all just last week I paid 600euro outright for an iPhone 6 on adverts.ie from a user with 5 or 6 positive feedback thinking it was genuine, however after about 2 days of owning the phone it suddenly lost all service and when I brought it to meteor they told me the phone is blacklisted, I explained my situation and showed them the receipt I got from the seller but they said "there is nothing we can do", I also rang Apple and they said the same. The phone was sealed when I bought it with a receipt and looks like I am now down 600euro just before Christmas.

Is there anything at all I can do about this? Have any of you ever had a similar situation?

Note: I have informed adverts and the sellers account was suspended.
Also I paid in cash in hand.

Also please don't give me the whole "should have bought it in a shop" malark, I know that now... I have bought and sold a lot of phones on adverts before without a hiccup until now.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated cheers.

Brian

Have u a number for the seller or email address?
10.12.2014 04:23 #4
Report it to the Gardai who will be able to request details from adverts.ie about the seller which they are not allowed to give to you. The Gardai can then follow up and hopefully contact the seller or knock his door in.
10.12.2014 04:27 #5
What does blacklisted mean?.
10.12.2014 04:28 #6
Hi how do I switch to adverts.ie section? I don't use this website much.

Is there any point in going to the guards? I was contemplating it but have a feeling it's a waste of time 😕
10.12.2014 04:31 #7
Hi how do I switch to adverts.ie section? I don't use this website much.

Is there any point in going to the guards? I was contemplating it but have a feeling it's a waste of time 😕

I think you should, they may not be much help but it's good to have it on record that you reported it. Did you meet at the sellers house, or in a random location?
1 thank
10.12.2014 04:32 #8
We met outside the ambassador theatre at the top of Parnell street which doesn't give me much to work on unfortunately....
10.12.2014 04:46 #9
Originally posted by b5240
Have u a number for the seller or email address?

I have the original number he gave me but of course the number is no longer in use when I try to ring it.
10.12.2014 04:47 #10
Originally posted by Feelgood
What does blacklisted mean?.

Blacklisted means he reported the phone stolen after I paid him 600euro for it in order to claim a new one from insurance presumably.... It's insurance fraud and now I can't get cell reception from the phone. Meteor had it "blacklisted" as a stolen phone even though I brought it into them with the receipt and told them my story.
10.12.2014 05:21 #11
Pop it on eBay and sell it in another Country ,the iphone got blacklisted in ireland only...
10.12.2014 05:31 #12
Originally posted by wardy2
Pop it on eBay and sell it in another Country ,the iphone got blacklisted in ireland only...

Yeah the guy in meteor actually suggested this but how do I advertise it without sounding sketchy or bad? "IPhone 6 blacklisted in Ireland only"
Can't imagine it being a huge hit but I suppose it's the only way of recouping some of the cost, such a shame 2 weeks before Christmas it was a gift aswell so I'm going to have to buy another one anyway. Thanks for your help
10.12.2014 05:59 #13
Yeah the guy in meteor actually suggested this but how do I advertise it without sounding sketchy or bad? "IPhone 6 blacklisted in Ireland only"
Can't imagine it being a huge hit but I suppose it's the only way of recouping some of the cost, such a shame 2 weeks before Christmas it was a gift aswell so I'm going to have to buy another one anyway. Thanks for your help

Unless you know someone that is living abroad that can sell it on your behalf..
10.12.2014 06:00 #14
Originally posted by wardy2
Unless you know someone that is living abroad that can sell it on your behalf..

Not that I can think of , I suppose I'm better off going the international eBay route, will I need to unlock the phone myself or should I sell as is?
10.12.2014 08:00 #15
if the guy phoned Meteor to say it was stolen, then Meteor must know who he is and they would know this from the IMEI number...

Or am I missing something
2 thanks
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image